SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just picked up my hellcat on Thursday and I love it!! I was wondering how long or how many miles I should drive the car before it is safe to really give the engine without causing damage and after how long the car will be running optimally?

Would love to hear about personal experience with this. Thx everyone! :)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Just do your best to follow the factory break in period. For me, it was pretty impossible to do, but just follow it the best way you can as others have done.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
181 Posts
If you look for other threads you will find that the engines are broken in at the factory. They run them for 45 minutes on a dyno to break them in. The break in period of 500 - 1500 miles is for the drivetrain. The drivetrain needs that time for it to break in, before it is exposed to more spirited driving.

·
NYS President
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
Hey everyone I just picked up my hellcat on Thursday and I love it!! I was wondering how long or how many miles I should drive the car before it is safe to really give the engine without causing damage and after how long the car will be running optimally?

Congrats on your hellcat first thing and secondly enjoy it as much as possible

I wouldn't track your car in the first 500 miles and the break in is pretty much easy going. There is a break in chart per say posted and I will try and find it

·
Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,033 Posts
Good rule of thumb if you decide to "break it in"...stay at, or below, the speed limits, vary your RPM when you can. On the highway, take it up steady, back off, repeat a few times. Grab your significant other and take a day trip and watch the odometer to 500 doing those things. Track it, if you must after 1,000ish.

Otherwise, THRASH THE BEEYOTCH!!! No sense having a warranty if you're not going to test it. By the way, the BEEYOTCH is the ride in case of confusion.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,288 Posts
Break in is in the owners manual and here on the site but once you get to 300 miles it basically allows you to use the full range of RPM and says to avoid long durations at WOT. Good news is any "long duration" at WOT and you will be deep in the 3 digit speeds and probably faster than you want to go on public roads for fear of jail time. After 500miles you can romp on it as much as you want. Then it says not to track it until after 1500miles. The first hundred miles are the worst....under 55mph and 3500 RPM. Between 100 and 300 it says under 5500rpm I believe and 70mph maybe?

I mostly followed it. Was good to 100 miles. Curiousity got the better of me once or twice before 300, after 300 I drove the ever living stuffing out of it but only launching hard from a decent roll......like over 30mph. After 500 it's been game on. :D

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,288 Posts
HERE YOU GO!!!! HAPPY HELLCATING!!!!

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
•Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
•Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher
rpms when possible.
•Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

For the first 1500 mi (2414 km):
•Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the
first 1500 mi (2414 km).

Reactions: Prime Time

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,437 Posts

There is this thing that came with your car...called the Owner's Manual.... It tells you all you need to know about the break-in procedure....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,367 Posts
Proper break-in:

Automatic- foot on the brake, mash the pedal. Listen to the blower scream in anger and the tires beg for mercy.
Manual- Clutch in, brake and gas down, dump clutch. Listen to the blower scream in anger and the tires beg for mercy.

Your Hellcat is now ready to mercilessly beat up on unsuspecting civilians on the street and track. Enjoy.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
200 Posts
Welcome to the Hellcat club and ignore the uninformative condescending comments.

I was under the impression 500 miles minimum for break-in period. Just drive it gentle for that time. I do know that it will not let you use Launch control until after the 500 mile mark.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,843 Posts

there is no such thing as a drivetrain break in--that's all BS.. the entire drivetrain is either good or bad from the get go..
includes the engine, the trans and diff--either good from the 1st ignition cycle or doomed and no break in logic can change that..
the only reason for a so called break in period is for external issues like leaks--not internal items.. so, internally you can't hurt it.

drive as if stolen...

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,007 Posts
Rule of Thumb:
For the first 500 miles, treat your Hellcat like the weak little Prius it's not; after 500 miles, treat it like the muscle car it is.

Caveat: your owner's manual does counsel not to track your Cat until past 1500 miles.

Truthfully, as someone noted, the break-in period is as important for the driver as for the Cat. Seat time is a learning curve for the inexperienced muscle-car owner, especially when it's a 700+HP monster like this car, essentially a street-legal, 200mph stock car.

Most here have zero racing and track experience, and few of us, I would guess, have experience with any vehicle above 400HP. Yes, some members here are exceptions to that, but even if you've owned or driven muscle cars in the past, 99.9% of those couldn't touch a Hellcat for its pure, raw, untuned, factory-fresh horsepower. I go back to the 1969-1973 era of classic American muscle cars, but even the HP beasts of that generation couldn't touch a stock Hellcat.

So, bottom-line, ... with maybe a few people excepted, most new Hellcat owners need some amount of time to "learn" their car. FCA set up the 500-miles period, presumably in part, to allow for that.

Have fun but be safe with it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
288 Posts
For those that are being jack asses to the newbie, give him a break. Yes the break in question has been asked and answered a hundred times but remember when you first got yours and were excited?? This forum is a place to get great information not to be degraded. If you think the questions are repetitive or ridiculous just ignore them.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
539 Posts
Everybody has different opinions and methods. I do vary RPM's and don't beat the car to death during the initial 500 mile period, although a couple of quick full throttle applications are being done. I was always told by a couple of expert engine builders that quick full throttle blast is beneficial to the engine during break-in. Not prolonged, not even more then a few seconds, just a quick romp on the pedal. Otherwise, I drive casually, vary the speed and allow the car to reach full operating temp on a prolonged ride. So far I have only driven my HC 4 times, each around 80 to 90 miles, then it gets parked until I get my next full filled blast behind the wheel.
Enjoy ... it is under warranty and if something happens, it's usually now, not later.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
61 Posts

I don't mean to sound snotty but try READING and following the break in procedure in the owner's manual!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
13,621 Posts
The only thing I would add to this motley crew's recommendations is to check your oil periodically. I noticed during break in that my car used a few quarts of oil. Don't freak out if nothing shows on the dipstick, that could mean it is just a quart low. I thought it meant it was empty the first time and freaked out. Lol. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts