SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

What would you do?

• Stretch the budget and get something newer with fewer options you want

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, long time listener, first time caller. I am looking at buying a 5K mile 2016 Hellcat Challenger for $56K. It’s very clean and has all the options I want, laguna, sunroof and Harmon/Kardon. My neighbor just bought a Scatpack and was turned off because it was debadged on the fenders and replaced with vinyl decals and has had two owners. It is accident free with a clean title. It was a local trade and is at a Ford dealer. It is a great price but I am getting cold feet based on the supercharger. I have read it’s not a matter of if but when the supercharger bearings go. What are the things I need to be concerned about with buying a low mileage 6 year old car? Is there anything specific I should be looking at? I have priced an extended warranty through Ziegler for peace of mind and it was $4,100 for 4 years which is way too much or are they expecting major repairs? PPI at a Dodge dealer? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,317 Posts
SDG Motorsports that works on these superchargers told me he's never seen one fail from bearings. Noisy....maybe but no failures. They're relatively cheap to have rebuilt as well.

I'd go for it.

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,685 Posts
Ensure you get the car thoroughly inspected by an independent 3rd party shop that has advanced diagnostic tools that can detect everything from cylinder head pressures to changes made to the tune file. Low mileage is all well and good, but these are 1/4 mile specialty cars and there's a lot of 1/4 miles between 1 and 5,000 miles. Chances are it's probably just a garage queen, but these cars are expensive to maintain.

The reason why extended warranties are expensive is due to the repair costs. If the blower goes bad, 10 grand. Trans goes bad, 10 grand. Engine, 15 grand. Brake jobs are 3-4 grand, and so on. The extended warranty is there primarily if the trans, blower, or engine goes out. So, you pay 4 grand and if the blower and engine need replacing, then you don't pay 20 grand out of pocket.

I don't think all of these cars are destined to fail. As with any force induced engine, it will present some costly maintenance over the life of ownership if you keep it long term. It'll very likely need head gasket work some time between 80-100k miles, as most cars with blowers do. It may need SC bearing replacements, driveshafts, axles, and so on. That's just part of what it takes to keep a 700+ hp car on the road.

IMO, the chances are pretty much the same. You could maybe drive it for 120,000 and have no major issues, or you could drive it for 120,000 and have quite a few issues. I don't think anything is inevitable, but I'd also not be surprised if it does have some issues down the road.

Reactions: Sublime E Body

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
243 Posts
I have a 2016 Hellcat. Have owned it for 4 years now, have had no issues at all with the car! You hear all the time that these cars are time bombs, well like I stated I have had zero issues and enjoy this car every time I take her out. Like stated above, have it checked out by a reputable shop and if all is well then just enjoy it. Good times will be ahead!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My friend has had his 16 going on 5 years now. Bought it with 4500 miles. Now has 36K. He has driven it all over the country to all the big car shows. No issues whatsoever. If you have a solid Car Fax report where all the maintenance has been done on schedule and as others have stated you get it inspected by a third party then I think you are good to go. Prices for the near term are only going to continue to go up.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
549 Posts
I have a 16 HC with the options you describe. Original owner and 11,000 miles. Zero issues. Have it checked out by someone you trust to do a thorough inspection and of course check it out for past accidents etc. If everything checks out, get the best deal possible on it and go for it. Make sure you check insurance costs so there are no surprises. They are great cars to own. They are fun to drive, fast and comfortable. If you indicate specifically what town and state you are in, you might be able to get another local HC owner to help check it out also?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I’ve bought two 2016s from private sellers on the internet. Both sellers were very helpful with pics and what not, both took the car to the dealer after I setup PPI with them and dealer would just email me the report from the inspection, then I’d call and pay for it.

I’d buy it if it’s what you want and checks out from the dealer. My first 2016 I sold with 50k miles on it and had zero issues, my current one is around 26k and runs great as well!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Like @Speedy said, I wouldn’t sweat the supercharger. If it does get noisy, just have it rebuilt or buy another.

If it’s a manual trans, I’d ask specifically for the dealer to ensure the clutch isn’t slipping as part of the inspection. I’m at 26k on the original clutch but someone here just posted about theirs going at around 10k.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
120 Posts
I got my 2016 in March 2022 with 10k miles on it at $59k and according to CarFax I am the 5th owner. I was worried as well since it was passed around alot but the vehicle was garaged its entire life. Its my daily with the same options you have and runs like a dream. its at around 15k miles now.

My only issue was I had to replace the rear differential and drive shaft, but car was inspected before that issue came up so it was 100% me that broke it lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts