SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy my first Hellcat. Aside from repaired damage etc...the normal stuff to beware of when buying a performance car. Any years to avoid? I usually try to stay away from first year production cars but looking at a 15 tomorrow with 3200 miles on it. I've never had a forced induction car but 2 challengers, a z06 vette, several big block Chevelles, a 71 gto... You get the drift. Old school stuff. Don't want to drop a bunch of coin on the wrong car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I tend to lean towards unmodified super clean cars if I can help it. This 15 seems like it is one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
198 Posts
I bought a 2015 in May 2018, with 7200kms on it, about 4000 miles. White with sepia. It has been perfect and cost me only a few engine oil changes and a differential oil change to cure a groan in tight corners - which it did. A set of Michelin 4S tires transformed the ride and handling. The car is still worth what I paid for it - even the dealer will pay me within a few thousand for it back!
Never, ever, buy a modified car. Particularly from a stranger. That low mile '15 sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
Honestly there are no ‘trouble’ year Hellcats. Obviously I would go as new as the budget allows and stay away from mods, dont care how reputable the shop was. Hard pass. Lots of talk of bad supercharger bearings in the 15/16’s but was actually not as widespread as people made it seem. 2017 and up have Apple Carplay and lit up SRT badge on the steering wheel along with additional badges if any of that matters. Wide body option begins in 2018 if you like that. All in all look and listen for the usual things and you should be fine.

Reactions: noneckg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looking to buy my first Hellcat. Aside from repaired damage etc...the normal stuff to beware of when buying a performance car. Any years to avoid? I usually try to stay away from first year production cars but looking at a 15 tomorrow with 3200 miles on it. I've never had a forced induction car but 2 challengers, a z06 vette, several big block Chevelles, a 71 gto... You get the drift. Old school stuff. Don't want to drop a bunch of coin on the wrong car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I tend to lean towards unmodified super clean cars if I can help it. This 15 seems like it is one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NO MODS, NO MODS, NO MODS..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,862 Posts
I personally am not afraid of a car with mods if:

The seller has all the details and doesn't use words like "I don't know" or "not sure" or "don't remember".....

They supply the tuners name and phone number. Make the phone call and see what was on the car when tuned vs what is done now.
People that modify boost without adding fuel and tuning, I would pass on that car.

Is the crank pinned? Any junk incognito pulley on there? What injectors? What fuel is it tuned for? Is that fuel available where you live? E85 and 93 are not available conveniently to everyone.

Make sure two red keys, one black key, the owners manual, air pump, sub woofers, floor mats, etc, are all there. These are expensive to replace missing items if you want them.

How is the drivers seat edge from getting in and out?

Have the seller send a detailed list of every single thing that is done. Take that list with you when looking at car, check them off. Keep in mind, some people lie or remove parts when selling.

Have the seller list all problems out to you before you see the car in person. Chips, scratches, dents, chipped or damaged wheels, tire tread depths, interior damage, etc. If a seller misses or does not share info, they are trying to hide it or see if you notice. At this point, I guarantee there will be more......

Use the one strike rule. If you find one problem that was not mentioned, you will get the other two when the car in in your garage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
220 Posts
Full service records are always a plus but not necessarily a deal breaker. If the car has been modded, hopefully the seller includes all of the stock parts in the sale. Particularly important for any emissions mods (especially in my state, CARBifornia), even for something as simple as an aftermarket CAI.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
722 Posts
Yes, look at it first, after you know what mods are out there. Mine only had blacked out tails and mid-muffler delete, which I didn't care about. It DID have new DWS 06 tires, which I really liked!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,862 Posts
Full service records are always a plus but not necessarily a deal breaker. If the car has been modded, hopefully the seller includes all of the stock parts in the sale. Particularly important for any emissions mods (especially in my state, CARBifornia), even for something even as simple as an aftermarket CAI.
Stock parts are a huge bonus

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,862 Posts
This is why I keep mine stock, people run away from modded ..so did I
People run away from stock also.
Nothing is wrong with mods if they are done correctly, and tunes are done correctly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,862 Posts
ya ok pal lol...give me ONE reason why people would run away from stock aka "like factory" ......
the trouble is people dont know for sure if mods were done correctly .....
My name is not pal, its Rob.
If you went to look at a factory car with 3,000 miles and it had four bald tires and the oil was dark black, would you buy it or keep shopping?
I just gave you two reasons.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My name is not pal, its Rob.
If you went to look at a factory car with 3,000 miles and it had four bald tires and the oil was dark black, would you buy it or keep shopping?
I just gave you two reasons.
okay so this car was not handled well..has nothing to do if was stock or modded..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,862 Posts
I would guess 99% of modded hellcats are taken care of and maintained very well.
You spend all the time and money, you take care of it.... stock cars with miles are typical drivers, more chips, scratches, accidents, etc.
Low mile stock cars are either mods removed cars, garage queens, or 1/4 mile cars. You can usually tell if you poke around the car and under the engine bay....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would guess 99% of modded hellcats are taken care of and maintained very well.
You spend all the time and money, you take care of it.... stock cars with miles are typical drivers, more chips, scratches, accidents, etc.
Low mile stock cars are either mods removed cars, garage queens, or 1/4 mile cars. You can usually tell if you poke around the car and under the engine bay....
that is surly one way to look at it as well, but you are assuming a stock one is abused and uncared for and using that as a bench mark to compare which isnt right..
for example mine is 2015 on 24.000 KM, not miles..so even less ..all stock, babied. enough said..heck it even smells new... when people are in the market to buy one ...if they compare apples to apples .they will most likely spend all that money on un modded one in fear of future headaches..cause they simply would not know the how well the mods were applied..and also is very telling that the car musta been constantly pushed.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
Nothing wrong with modded but I would only buy owner to owner. One of the perks to a buying a modded car is that you get all the mods for next to nothing. Make sure you ask the owner all the right questions and if the owner can't answer all your question or is very sketchy with his answers then I would walk away.

Not that I wouldn't do it but I would be extremely hesitant to buy a modded car from a dealer. They have little to no insight as to the type of life that car had. Now that being said I came across with 2020 GT500 with less than 4k miles and some nice mods that bumped it up to 1,000 rwhp. It was priced the same as all the other GT500's from across the country that were from the same year, optioned the same and with similar mileage.

Here is my tip when buying used:
Whether it's moddded or not crawl under the rear of the car and look for lots of excess burnt rubber. That is a tell-tell sign that it saw a lot of track time. My car has seen at least 30 quarter mile passes on MT R's and it's next to impossible to remove all the burned rubber from under the car. (Trust me I've tried)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
In my experience most modded cars are a nightmare for the next owner. I do think people take care of Hellcats, modded or not. But it's the mods themselves that end up becoming the headache, not really the condition of the car. Obviously depends on the definition of mod though. My definition includes mechanical changes, even exhaust. Cosmetics would influence me a lot less than something that has been changed mechanically. Just always seems like the modded cars end up being rats down the road. Hard pass. If you're comparing stock with bald tires then you have to add bald tires to the modded car as well to be fair. Same car but with mods. Just my take.

Reactions: SRK and CatDaddyB5

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
120 Posts
Only advice I have is to keep looking around till you see one that you might like and go check it out, test drive it if possible, I looked for a whole year and ended buying at the worst time (2 weeks before COVID lockdown) but I got a killer deal 2017 $45k with 22k miles and it was bone stock and dealer had done all recall work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts