SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the offer. But these gas prices. . . ha ha. I am going to my uncle's shop and we'll fab something up. Will post pics when it's done. I am going to buy the tool. I have a feeling I will be using it more than once or twice, lol.

Trying to get the car sorted out so I can race it Friday, Sat, Sun.
When i was doing r&d, I had a lit cut from steel and used cork gasket as a test.
Road surface Asphalt Grey Font Tar

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well, here is what we did. My uncle had a plug basically that he had made previously and we figured out how to make that work so we didn't have to fab another one. That's the piece below with the o-ring. Ideally, a very clean way to have done this would be to use the machined indention there but he didn't want to fab another plug piece, and the machined indention thingy in the stock cap was just a little bit too large already.

Tool Household hardware Wood Gas Circle

So the kit has several adapters, and the pic below shows the adapter in the lid. When you insert the tool, it tightens up and seals it.

Tableware Dishware Table Kitchen utensil Serveware

Here is what it looks like with the tool installed:

Automotive tire Camera accessory Tool Cameras & optics Machine tool

Here is the lid with the o-ring "plug" installed. It's a snug fit but can be removed fairly easily.

Table Wood Coin Currency Gas

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, here is what we did. My uncle had a plug basically that he had made previously and we figured out how to make that work so we didn't have to fab another one. That's the piece below with the o-ring. Ideally, a very clean way to have done this would be to use the machined indention there but he didn't want to fab another plug piece, and the machined indention thingy in the stock cap was just a little bit too large already.

View attachment 597477

So the kit has several adapters, and the pic below shows the adapter in the lid. When you insert the tool, it tightens up and seals it.

View attachment 597480

Here is what it looks like with the tool installed:

View attachment 597481

Here is the lid with the o-ring "plug" installed. It's a snug fit but can be removed fairly easily.

View attachment 597482
Awesome job, did it hold vacuum? Make sure that plug is nice and tight. The coolant system does pressurize to a low value like 17psi approximately.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks. Haven't tried it yet. Will do tonight, hopefully. You have to pull fairly hard to get the plug out, so it's snug, not at all a loose fit or anything.

I had to get the harbor freight vacuum tool. One thing I don't like is it doesn't have a fitting for hooking a hose on it to drain the fluid. But the outlet where the air is exhausted I can fit a 1" heater hose over it, so I can just use that. This was the only tool like this I could find anywhere. Around here, nobody carries them, not NAPA, or Carquest, or Autozone.

What procedure exactly did you use with yours? Did you pull out all the fluid and then the air, and then once you had the necessary vacuum, you switched the valve to the fluid, but then once it was full of fluid did you apply vacuum to it again? I was reading online a little and one guy said to do it a couple of times.

I understand how the tool works, just wondering what worked best for you with this application.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Nice man! You guys are making me a believer in these tanks! I lost my power service got ripped from house and tree branches ripped wires out of transformer had to get a hotel for wire kids and animals, get an emergency electrician and inspection and the power company all worked out what a freaking mess missed work today because of it just garbage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Pull a vacuum around 20psi, insert suction line into coolant and let it fill. This is the same as in the FSM. I would fill till you have reached the BMR tank. Then pull another vacuum to get any bubbles, if at all. Fill BMR tank as usual.
It pulled 24 inches.

Worked awesome! The garage is 80 degrees and the IC coolant temp was 85 degrees after 15 minutes of idling. That was before I added the bottle of water wetter. Before using this tool, it was 110 after 10 minutes, and before pulling the inlet hose on the pump the other day, it would hit 120 in 10 minutes.

Wow!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
I am using water right now with the bwoody race heat exchanger. I don't plan to run ice. My goal with this setup is just to have more consistency for bracket racing. If I can keep IC temp to 100-105 or less, it will run as fast as it's gonna run with the tune I have.

Thanks for the help on the IC coolant stuff. I spent hours the other day trying to bleed the system. The whole deal took me like 5 minutes using the tool and the modified cap.

Always learning!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Nice man! You guys are making me a believer in these tanks! I lost my power service got ripped from house and tree branches ripped wires out of transformer had to get a hotel for wire kids and animals, get an emergency electrician and inspection and the power company all worked out what a freaking mess missed work today because of it just garbage.
Dang, hope it's all getting squared away. Sounds like a mess.

I do like the tank. I think it's critical to increase cooling capacity with this system. I would be interested to know how many people who have run or run the race HE also have the bigger reservoir. It's really the only good option since I think most of us would not run a trunk mounted tank.

Reactions: Unholy707

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I used that same heat barrier on my tank, too, just on the bottom and the side that is toward the engine.

Reactions: fumanchu182

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Had some fun last night will still waiting on parts.

tested the new configuration

i need a bigger compressor 🤣
I ran the tool again on mine. 22 inches.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts