SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everybody. I just wanted to share my experience from Wednesday to Friday as I feel it's quite the interesting situation.

To start off, I started searching for a 2018 (prefer that hood) WB Hellcat 6sp about a month ago. I had restrictions to any PCP or GoMango, or a perfectly optioned White Knuckle. Well, I found that car in CA about 2 weeks ago. A 6900 mile CPO White Knuckle M6, sunroof, gun metal calipers (which I was indifferent about until I saw it in person, SICK looking), red/black leather, just perfect. The previous owner removed the front grille and rear spoiler badges which was the only thing I wasn't a fan of when I first looked at it. I'll likely add them back in the near future as I'm a badge whore.

I have to give props to Josh at Hunter Dodge in Lancaster, CA. He helped me through the whole cross-country purchasing process, was very open about the car and the second I saw him, threw me the keys and pointed me to the highway for a test drive. He answered all my questions and let me check everything before I finalized the deal. The cream of the crop car salesman (and dealership).

Anyways, I ended up taking delivery of the car around 3pm PST. Then my return adventure started as I live in NC. I hadn't driven a manual since my college years (Pontiac Sunfire hah!). So after sensory overload for the first hour or so I started to get comfortable with the power, shifting gears, and being in a new environment.

I came from a SRT 392 so the car felt very familiar... Until I went full throttle to redline in 3rd gear. I've heard the power explained as 'pulling like a freight train' when WOT and over 60mph. After getting enough courage for full throttle, redline hitting 2-3-4 shifts, I feel the freight train comparison is on point. It just keeps PULLING!

My trip was through mostly clear skies and empty roads. I drove from 3pm Wednesday until 3am Thursday. I found a rest area, slept in the car until about 5am then hit the road again. Got a shot of 5hr energy and kept crushing the highway miles. I would have loved having the radar cruise control from my previous Challenger because once daylight hit, I started getting into traffic and construction areas. Also, I swear every other highway hauler was full of Teslas. Somehow I managed to get to Little Rock, AK around 6pm and got a hotel room. As soon as I hit the bed I was passed out until 2am or so. Took a shower and hit the road again. Before I did, I noticed my EXACT car (except it was a 392) sitting in the parking lot next to mine. What the hell is the chance!

The last stretch of road was windy, wet, and stressful. Intermittent rain with sweeping, wet roads in a new Hellcat that I haven't completely felt out is the definition of stress. I arrived at my home around 5pm and gave my wife and baby a big kiss.

Not that she would read this but I have to give my wife so much love because she was the one that said to go do this. I floated the idea because it's basically a bucket list item and she was all for it.

Outside of a few life changing events/experiences, this stands out as one of my favorite experiences in my entire life. And I did it fast enough that I was able to be home for my kid's first birthday on today. I reset the trip odometer after my first gas fill up and allegedly had a recorded 2438mi in 33.5hrs (which of course included downtime in parking lots, food areas, etc). I still need to wash my new cat but it's home and I couldn't be happier.

I gotta give a shout out to the members of this forum giving great advice about searching for used cars across the country. Y'all helped a bunch. I'll grab some pictures once I finish with this birthday party and wash it. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,848 Posts
Great story, hopefully the grand kids love it someday as much as we did.....

Reactions: FreshGato

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,737 Posts
Fantastic story . I love road tripping my car . I do it as often as I can . Absolutely smooth and comfortable on the highway !

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
In The Market
70 Posts
I second Josh and Hunter Dodge great guy and great dealership. I bought my 2019 Sublime Cat from them in March of 2020, one week before the Covid lockdown.

Dodge only built 5 Sublime Cats with the black hood, 3 went to dealerships, one was a stick with 2 A8s. I was left with 2 choices one dealer in Chicago area and Hunter Dodge in Lancaster Ca.
The Chicago dealer kept jerking me around with price, agreed on price was always different the the actual PO price.
Josh gave me a great price and it was exactly the same price on the PO, no surprise fees etc.

I flew out on Wednesday bought the cat and had it shipped back to DE the next day. Josh has been in touch since the purchase to check on the car to make sure everything was going well, I even got a nice email from him on the anniversary of purchase.

If your looking for a Cat these guys are great to deal with honest up-front price that doesn't change with all kinds of phoney fees and charges.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second Josh and Hunter Dodge great guy and great dealership. I bought my 2019 Sublime Cat from them in March of 2020, one week before the Covid lockdown.

Dodge only built 5 Sublime Cats with the black hood, 3 went to dealerships, one was a stick with 2 A8s. I was left with 2 choices one dealer in Chicago area and Hunter Dodge in Lancaster Ca.
The Chicago dealer kept jerking me around with price, agreed on price was always different the the actual PO price.
Josh gave me a great price and it was exactly the same price on the PO, no surprise fees etc.

I flew out on Wednesday bought the cat and had it shipped back to DE the next day. Josh has been in touch since the purchase to check on the car to make sure everything was going well, I even got a nice email from him on the anniversary of purchase.

If your looking for a Cat these guys are great to deal with honest up-front price that doesn't change with all kinds of phoney fees and charges.
Glad to hear you had as good an experience as me. That team is seriously stellar. And that Sublime color you got, mmmmm mighty nice. Damn does your car look slick! I love me some flashy colors lol makes me miss my SRT 392 in Sublime.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
150 Posts
Congrats! Awesome story and awesome you were able to nail down what you wanted in such a small selection pool.

I’d agree with adding the badges back...it already has so few anyway.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,022 Posts
Wow - AWESOME STORY! I'm hoping to road trip my HCWB sometime after this COViD-crazy time passes a bit, and your story charges that up a little bit more. Congrats on the new ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts