SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
257 Posts
Yes absolutely, and FCA will not insist the dealer return your deposit. Sign a purchase agreement and read the small print. Place your deposit with a credit card. If the dealer pulls any monkey business, You can recover your money by disputing the transaction.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
690 Posts
Regardless, I think it is a rare and remote chance that a dealer will sell an ordered vehicle out from under the original buyer. Sure, it can happen, and it has happened. But, I think the rarity of it is on par with the chance that the Almighty drops a hail storm on your new car while you're signing the finance paperwork.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,495 Posts
I think you missed my point, which was that until the keys are in your hand either side can cancel the deal.
Not correct, it's once the bank's money pays off the dealer. There have been instances where buyer has car at home but the bank doesn't agree to pay dealer for whatever the buyer's reason may be and dealer has to take the car back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not correct, it's once the bank's money pays off the dealer. There have been instances where buyer has car at home but the bank doesn't agree to pay dealer for whatever the buyer's reason may be and dealer has to take the car back.
Well, OK, there's that.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
332 Posts
Dealin Doug in Denver is notorious for this shit. He will promise rates that he knows he can't get, then call you back after 2 weeks of owning the new car and say that he wasn't able to get the proper financing. To which you will now have to pay more than initially agreed to. Dumb people will just accept it. I signed for a certain amount that the dealer "promised" they could make happen. When they called me back, I put the new Ram Rebel Keys on the managers desk and demanded my Ram Sport Keys back and that I didn't want the truck..... "well, sir we don't exactly have your truck anymore." So i picked up the Rebel keys and said "your problem not mine. guess you'll have to just eat the money to make this deal work or we can lawyer up and show the judge the signed contract...." needless to say they had pay over $3000 to get the payment to the loan amount that their bank agreed to.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
690 Posts
I used to be a sales manager with Phil Long in Denver... waaaaaay back in 2008-2010. I am familiar with Doug. I purchased a used snow car from them (Subaru Legacy) and they also tried that nonsense about, "Oh sorry, we didn't get you approved for financing... need to bring the car back or pay (some higher number)." I told them I was good and hung up on them. I kept hanging up on their calls for about 3 days. In the interim, I went to my credit union and got a PAL (pre approved loan) for the car. If I recall correctly, the car was around $16,000 and I put over 5 grand down on it at the dealership, so I was only financing around $11,000. How Doug couldn't finance me is beyond me, because my credit score has never been below 650, even back when I was still in my 20s.

Finally, I picked up the phone after their 20th call one day and told them that I'd be by to deal with the car later that day. I intentionally went over there 5 minutes before closing. They pulled that old school trick where they park a shop truck behind the car so I can't leave thing as they proceeded to high pressure sell me on the higher rate. I kept demanding to see the loan refusal documentation and they kept saying that I'd receive it in the mail in a week. I told them I didn't believe them and I stuck to my story until one of the managers came over and said something like, "Look kid, you're not leaving here with that loan because it wasn't approved. Sign this contract or call a damn cab."

"Or, I could just pay you guys with this..." I handed them the PAL paperwork. "You guys can let me have my keys back, let me go to finance and sign on this contract and I'll go. Or, you can call me a cab and I'll go use my PAL elsewhere." 5 minutes later, magically, my original loan was now approved. I declined it as my Credit Union rate was about 2 points better on interest. I ended up staying there almost another hour before they finally accepted the PAL and let me go. I had to ultimately threaten to call the police because they were absolutely refusing to give me the keys, move the truck, or give me my cash down payment back. In the end, they lost all the back end profit from the original deal (which still wasn't much, I didn't pop on anything in finance) as the loan was no longer going to be through their preferred lender.

That Dealin' Doug mess was a one and done experience. I'm just thankful that at that point in my life, I'd been a car salesman for about 18 months and a manager for about 6, so I knew the stupid game they were playing.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
332 Posts
I used to be a sales manager with Phil Long in Denver... waaaaaay back in 2008-2010. I am familiar with Doug. I purchased a used snow car from them (Subaru Legacy) and they also tried that nonsense about, "Oh sorry, we didn't get you approved for financing... need to bring the car back or pay (some higher number)." I told them I was good and hung up on them. I kept hanging up on their calls for about 3 days. In the interim, I went to my credit union and got a PAL (pre approved loan) for the car. If I recall correctly, the car was around $16,000 and I put over 5 grand down on it at the dealership, so I was only financing around $11,000. How Doug couldn't finance me is beyond me, because my credit score has never been below 650, even back when I was still in my 20s.

Finally, I picked up the phone after their 20th call one day and told them that I'd be by to deal with the car later that day. I intentionally went over there 5 minutes before closing. They pulled that old school trick where they park a shop truck behind the car so I can't leave thing as they proceeded to high pressure sell me on the higher rate. I kept demanding to see the loan refusal documentation and they kept saying that I'd receive it in the mail in a week. I told them I didn't believe them and I stuck to my story until one of the managers came over and said something like, "Look kid, you're not leaving here with that loan because it wasn't approved. Sign this contract or call a damn cab."

"Or, I could just pay you guys with this..." I handed them the PAL paperwork. "You guys can let me have my keys back, let me go to finance and sign on this contract and I'll go. Or, you can call me a cab and I'll go use my PAL elsewhere." 5 minutes later, magically, my original loan was now approved. I declined it as my Credit Union rate was about 2 points better on interest. I ended up staying there almost another hour before they finally accepted the PAL and let me go. I had to ultimately threaten to call the police because they were absolutely refusing to give me the keys, move the truck, or give me my cash down payment back. In the end, they lost all the back end profit from the original deal (which still wasn't much, I didn't pop on anything in finance) as the loan was no longer going to be through their preferred lender.

That Dealin' Doug mess was a one and done experience. I'm just thankful that at that point in my life, I'd been a car salesman for about 18 months and a manager for about 6, so I knew the stupid game they were playing.
It's amazing that that asshole is still in business.... I stray everyone away from ALL dealin douchebag doug's dealerships... and his son's(so i've been told) Brandon Dodge.

He promised me credit union rates.... I knew he couldn't get that low of rates through a conventional bank. AND I traded in a 2wd Ram 1500 in Colorado, I'm sure that thing was shipped out the next day to one of his desert affiliates as no one buys a 2wd truck in CO. I'm sure he thought I was a shoein for an additional few thousand in a few weeks..... WRONG!!!

I like to buy cars typically on Sunday when banks are closed but in CO the dealerships are closed on Sunday so I go in after 2pm on Saturday and start the buying process. I have great credit and don't worry about getting approved. This puts the dealership on their feet trying to sell the vehicle to me before I walk away. I also put them on the spot with "sight unseen" trade-ins.

There are a ton of dealerships all over that will take your money and you should use that against them all. I do the pressuring when I buy and am the one who gets the sales people flustered with my amount of questions. It's MY money and I'LL spend it when and how I want, not how some asshat financing manager wants me to.

Reactions: Xylander

·
Registered
In The Market
257 Posts
Regardless, I think it is a rare and remote chance that a dealer will sell an ordered vehicle out from under the original buyer. Sure, it can happen, and it has happened. But, I think the rarity of it is on par with the chance that the Almighty drops a hail storm on your new car while you're signing the finance paperwork.
Agree, in my case the car arrived at a distant dealer 2 days prior to power dollars coming out. It had a blemished stripe that needed replaced. Instead of busting through the FCA red tape and getting the part on order to satisfy me, one of the dealership owner’s buddies was allowed to buy it out from under me- with the PD $9790 discount.

It was a perfect storm scenario; timing of crazy incentive announcement, new car cosmetic damage, very dishonest sales manager, etc.

It was a blessing in the end, however. I didn’t really need the RE option, and I’m head over heals for my F8 HCWB vs. the even pricier sublime RE. Sublime was my wife’s preferred color. And my local dealer pulled strings to make things right. I ordered and received my car with very near employee pricing plus PD incentive.

My advice to anyone ordering a car- make sure you have a trustworthy referral for dealer. Beware of taking lowest price from distant dealer. Give your local dealer a chance if they are treat customers well. Nothing wrong with traveling for the best deal either, but read the fine print. Pay deposit with CC.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They can still sell it so long as they return your funds.

A deal is not 100% final until the money has cleared the bank and the dealer has been made 100% whole for the car. Whether you pay with your personal check or a bank you are financing it through pays them, this doesn't occur until after you are home with the car. In short, I until registration paperwork is filed and they get remainder of full payment, they can do what they want so long as you get back the deposit
Yes they can but if it happened to me I would have them in and on the news and Dodge would get a ear full . Dealers don't like bad press

·
Registered
In The Market
257 Posts
Dealer sold mine and refused to refund the deposit. I had to claw it back with CC dispute. FCA didn’t care even with regard to them selling my car and keeping my deposit- “we don’t get involved with customer/ dealer disputes”.

As far as the purchase/ order process goes, your dodge experience will boil down to your dealer experience. I suspect FCA begins to care once you’re the owner. At least I hope so... They do make some great cars.

One thing I will say as far as FCA’s role in the purchase process- they do care about your response to the post delivery survey. After receiving the survey in error, I rhetorically destroyed Brookfield in my response. That was the only time the dealer seemed pissed their end. That torpedo found its mark. Maybe that kind of feedback limits their order allocations? If so, good!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,495 Posts
Dealer sold mine and refused to refund the deposit. I had to claw it back with CC dispute. FCA didn’t care even with regard to them selling my car and keeping my deposit- “we don’t get involved with customer/ dealer disputes”.

As far as the purchase/ order process goes, your dodge experience will boil down to your dealer experience. I suspect FCA begins to care once you’re the owner. At least I hope so... They do make some great cars.

One thing I will say as far as FCA’s role in the purchase process- they do care about your response to the post delivery survey. After receiving the survey in error, I rhetorically destroyed Brookfield in my response. That was the only time the dealer seemed pissed their end. That torpedo found its mark. Maybe that kind of feedback limits their order allocations? If so, good!
-Dealerships are privately owned, so nearly everything they do is between you and them. Only your actual car, once owned, and issues with it, relate to FCA.

-The survey is a weapon however, anything less than a perfect score can bomb a dealer getting perks, bonuses, etc.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
This hasn’t happened to me. I’m just wondering if a dealer can sell your ordered Hellcat out from underneath you. If they get offered more from a prospective buyer can they sell it to them instead?
I bought one of the first Dodge Magnums in AZ when they first came out, model year '05. Ordered an RT exactly the way I wanted it, Gun Metal with grey leather. Took 4-5 weeks and when I showed up to collect it the salesman told me I could make a quick $10,000 as a guy at a dealership in CA said he would pay that premium. I declined but wondered why the dealership hadn't taken advantage of it and simply order me a new one. The next year, actually 18 months, I didn't hesitate to buy my first Magnum SRT8 (of the four I've had, still have two) from that same dealer. They earned my respect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If they do, then you dodge a bullet. Any dealer that would do that to any customer will be equally shady with any aspect of purchase or service down the line. It would be best to take your business elsewhere.

Having said that, I'm betting your dealer (if reputable) would never trash a customer relationship lke that.

With a nod to Life of Brian, always look on the bright side of life!
Which I referred to in the first sentence. Either party isn't responsible unless legally bound.
when my friend picked his challenger hellcat redeye up first thing i noticed is original window sticker said on it, "this vehicle was built for Ken K". I thought that was pretty cool, but also thought pretty clear evidence from a legal stand point he ordered that car. In todays world morgan and morgan atty. would probably be able to get you some cash for pain and suffering.lol

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
129 Posts
This hasn’t happened to me. I’m just wondering if a dealer can sell your ordered Hellcat out from underneath you. If they get offered more from a prospective buyer can they sell it to them instead?
MCHC, It all depends on your "Sales Agreement" was written when you put your money down. When you ordered your SOC and put $ down, you would been given, or you should have asked for a copy. That is a legal and binding document. Also, when a car or truck is built as a "Special Order" the vehicle's build sheet and VIN are assigned to your name. So, it ALL comes down to the fine print on your sales agreement.

Reactions: MCHC

·
Registered
65 GTO, 21 REWB Challenger ordered
143 Posts
My dealer called me yesterday to give me an update on my ordered cat that should be delivered sometime in May. He jokingly said "it should be here by the end of May unless we end up selling it on the side"...... I think he actually thought he was being funny. I just responded, "in which case I'll just get a GT500".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts