SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat M6
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will likely be an obvious question so please excuse the rookie nature of this thread. Supposedly, the emergency key for my 2013 RT could be used to start the ignition like any standard car after removing the Start button. The SRT owner's manual for my HC states that the emergency key may be used to unlock the doors and glovebox, but does not indicate if it can be used to start the ignition.

Admittedly, I haven't yet checked to see if there's even a standard key ignition hiding under my HC's start button but if there is, can the Hellcat be started with the physical key without any gotchas?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,142 Posts
After you use the emerg key to open the door, hold the fob against the start button and push it in, and there's enough in the fob for the car to recognize and start the car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After you use the emerg key to open the door, hold the fob against the start button and push it in, and there's enough in the fob for the car to recognize and start the car.

I understand that part, but I wanted to know if the emergency key can be used to start the car. Here's why. I have only one FOB (red) but I will have another FOB programmed in another two weeks. I plan to have new tires mounted this weekend. I would prefer to have the tire shop use the emergency key while I hang on to the FOB to protect against the FOB being misplaced (actually happened to me many years ago when Sears still serviced cars and misplaced my keys during a tire change). It's just me being over precautious.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,142 Posts
I understand that part, but I wanted to know if the emergency key can be used to start the car. Here's why. I have only one FOB (red) but I will have another FOB programmed in another two weeks. I plan to have new tires mounted this weekend. I would prefer to have the tire shop use the emergency key while I hang on to the FOB to protect against the FOB being misplaced (actually happened to me many years ago when Sears still serviced cars and misplaced my keys during a tire change). It's just me being over precautious.
OK then no, in the situation you describe it cannot be done. There is no key under the button as in previous years, it is fob only, sorry.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK then no, in the situation you describe it cannot be done. There is no key under the button as in previous years, it is fob only, sorry.

OK, thanks for that! I'll probably hold off mounting new tires until I get the new FOB.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
951 Posts
Can’t just lock the fob in the glove compartment or something while you’re there getting the tires mounted?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
496 Posts
Yeah that’s a good idea lock or hide the key FOB some where in the car heck even tape it under the steering in the cover beneath it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts