SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to Car & Driver (I don't) but I was at the doctors office last week and the October Issue had a article called "LIGHTINGLAP12ELVE". The event is apparently done annually and auto makers send their cars to participate. This is held at Virgina International Raceway (VIR) a 4.1 mile road coarse. In this session there were 21 cars tested which included everything from a Kia to a McLaren 720S. So obviously this was not a "bring your baddest" car to test but Dodge sent a 2018 Hellcat WB... while I didn't have time to read the entire article cover to cover I did pick up on several cool points on where the HC WB stacked up.

Each car had a small write up and I got a chuckle out of what they said about the HC. "The Hellcat's foundational Kill-All-Tires attitude is still highly effective against a 305 section width Pirelli's. If tire frying rubber at every corner exit is your thing, this coupe will gladly indulge" They actually had a picture of the HC coming out of a corner at speed in a full drift with tire smoke billowing from the wheel wells that would have made John Force proud! :D

The HC WB actually broke the 3 minute mark with a 2:59.8 lap and they listed other cars from different years that cut similar laps. The HC WB was very respectable, the following cars were within a second of the HC. 2016 Cadaillac ATS-V Sedan & Coupe, LL2, 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro, 2014 & 2015 Mercedes-AMG C63 S, 2014 Jauguar XKR-S GT, 2009 Nissan GT-R, 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S & Alfo Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Yeah some of these cars are a few years old but you still wouldn't think the HC would be competitive... it was right there! ;)

Another interesting performance comparison was exit speed out of the "Hog Pen" which is the last corner before the front straight at VIR. The HC WB was 7th! McLearen 720S 118.5 MPH, Porsche 911 GT2 117.8 MPH, ZR1 Corvette 116.0, Hurican Perfomante 113.6 MPH, Ford GT 111.6 MPH, Porsche 911 GT3 107.8, HC WB 104.7 MPH. I would say it was in good company!

The next was max speed on the course and the HC WB was eighth. McLearen 720S 171.7 MPH, Porsche 911 GT2 165.2 MPH, ZR1 Corvette 164.0, Hurican Perfomante 163.0 MPH, Ford GT 156.7 MPH, Porsche 911 GT3 155.0, BMW M5 152.4, HC WB 148.8 MPH.

Other notables - The HC WB beat every FWD car, Of the top cars, it was the heaviest... by a lot in some cases, it was also the least expensive of top eight by quite a chunk, The McLaren was $376,465, the next closest in cost to the HC was the ZR1 Vet at $129,000. The HC $77,000 as tested.

For a car that's core purpose was to go straight and fast and considering it as heavy as a tank it actually was very respectable on the road course IMHO. VIR has some very tight corners that really require you to slow way down even for the high end cars so as road courses go probably not the ideal track for the HC to shows it's best. I think the fastest lap was the Porsche GT2 with a 2:37.8 so the HC WB really wasn't in the same zip code with that car. I also recall that the Porsche GT2 was running a special prototype tire just developed for that car and all the other cars has stock production rubber. I think if the Redeye WB was tested it likely would have worked it's way further up the list in a couple categories.

These are good times guys... If someone back in 1985 told me Dodge would have 700 & 800HP cars off the showroom for in 2019 I would have laughed in their face. Back then a turbo'd 2.2 Liter 140+HP Daytona was probably as good as it gets. I can't wait to see what the SRT boys will surprise us with next! :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
537 Posts
That's very impressive considering the HC is a street car and all those others are track cars.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,481 Posts
Good read. Thanks for posting..The HC held it's own even though it was out of it's league. But it wasn't designed or advertised to compete with those "sports" cars. The HC is a muscle car and it shines above all in that category..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,478 Posts
There's a thread about this from a few months ago when it came out. The cars in the low 150s and faster all have R compound tires IIRC. Guess how much time a R compound would likely give a WB Redeye on that course? Easy 6-8 seconds.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,156 Posts
There's a thread about this from a few months ago when it came out. The cars in the low 150s and faster all have R compound tires IIRC. Guess how much time a R compound would likely give a WB Redeye on that course? Easy 6-8 seconds.
Love it! I say we are going to read about some pro getting a good REWB lap somewhere. They need to slap a road racing 305/35 -R tire on one and let it rip.

6-8 seconds could be into interesting ranks at BIR;)
I know someone who has been dogging #1 just waiting for bigger R-rubber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts