SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I've recently changed my fob battery but it is Amazon battery. Do I need a lithium or better fob battery? Fob works for autostart and doors. It does not open doors with my hand under handle. Also does not see the fob while in the car. What gives???

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
8,147 Posts
That is certainly weird, I would try another battery just to be sure. Do you have another working fob you can swap batteries. I wouldn't think the new battery was bad but nothing else makes sense.

· Registered
609 Posts
Also the keyless go antenna is mounted to the floor in the trunk, kinda forward and to the right of the spare wheel well. Make sure nothing that would block a wireless signal (like a tin foil hat) is covering that.

Reactions: ScLeCo

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
171 Posts
weird…just got a message myself saying “key fob battery low” (on both red keys)…viewed several YouTubes…takes a 2032 type battery…hardest part, splitting the cases…and making sure the battery’s info (writing ”2032”) is facing down….

· Registered
802 Posts
weird…just got a message myself saying “key fob battery low” (on both red keys)…viewed several YouTubes…takes a 2032 type battery…hardest part, splitting the cases…and making sure the battery’s info (writing ”2032”) is facing down….
That's a very common one........for garage door openers too you can buy 6 for about what they want for 2 single packs

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All, I need some help with this issue. I changed the fob battery again and that is not the issue. The fob works but when I get in the car it does not detect/find the fob.

My thought is that my original car battery is going bad. With the car off I checked battery voltage from dash and it said 12.1 volts. Could the 6 year old and 31k miles battery be bad and not finding the fob?

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
8,147 Posts
All, I need some help with this issue. I changed the fob battery again and that is not the issue. The fob works but when I get in the car it does not detect/find the fob.

My thought is that my original car battery is going bad. With the car off I checked battery voltage from dash and it said 12.1 volts. Could the 6 year old and 31k miles battery be bad and not finding the fob?
Might be the fob itself. The car battery should read 12v when off so the voltage looks fine but a battery can still be bad even at 12v. I don't know that's the issue though.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,585 Posts
If the fob works for the remote functions then the battery is in correctly and probably OK. I never saw an answer to the question do you have another fob to test with?
If you have more than one fob and neither one works for Keyless go then you probably have an issue with the module in the vehicle, not the fobs themselves.
I did have a problem one time with fob not detected when I had the fob in the same jacket pocket as my cell phone. You have probably already tested with the fob in the clear though.

· Registered
2021 SRT Super Stock
627 Posts
Could be the antenna in the car going bad. for the keyless entry and sensing it in the car, it's a module mounted to the back side (inside) of the drivers side rear interior plastic panel on a challenger...I assume it's in the rear door panel on a charger. I actually have one for a challenger when I had to replace that panel.

Here's a link to a discussion when I asked what it was...(on another forum)

· Registered
Charger SRT 392
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I checked battery voltage 12.43 vdc. I tried a 2nd fob and got nothing. Could someone please give me more details? We are not talking about the shark fin up top right? At this point I cannot drive the car.

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
8,147 Posts
Yes, thank you. I have a Charger and not sure where it is on it. Is this a part I can buy and install? Does the dealer have to program it?
Are you opposed to asking your dealer about the issue?

· Registered
2021 SRT Super Stock
627 Posts
Not sure if it needs to be programmed. Without the right diagnostic equipment you’ll just be throwing parts at it till something works. Best to have a dealer look at it. Does it start by pressing the fob against the start button so you can drive it in? That is described in the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.