SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was curious if anyone knew how much a catalytic converters costs for the hellcat. On top of that, I want to go catless since my current cats crapped the bed apparently and they’re out of warranty due to previous modifications. Are there alternatives I can put on just to pass a California emission test?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,512 Posts
A couple of years ago due to a noisy converter I bought a set/pair of used exhaust manifolds each one contained a converter. Oh, this for another car not my Hellcat or any Dodge.

I was careful to check the used converters for any signs of damage and to give them a shake to listen for anything loose. One of the converters on my car was noisy and it was because years earlier a piece of cinder block bounced up under the car and hit the converter. The impact apparently knocked the brick loose. The converter worked ok most of the time but was noisy cold (knocking) and hot (buzzing). Well, worked ok but every so often the CEL would come on and the error could be P0430 -- converter operating below efficiency threshold. However, often I'd go months with no CEL and I managed to get the car through CA smog a few times with no problems.

Once I was satisfied the converters were ok I handled them with care and then had a tech do the swap. The "new" (used) converters worked like a charm.

New converters ran over $1000/each. The used ones cost me just under $500/each.

Now I learned later in CA one is not supposed to use used converters.

Here's a link to more details.

Have not bothered to read the info since my converter troubles are long past. At any rate the used converters I bought worked just fine. Had they not I would have taken them back for credit and gotten the car into compliance.

For CA cars with sick converters and for those that don't want to pay the very high price the automakers charge for new converters, CARB does maintain a database of aftermarket converter makers and from where you can buy these.

Without even looking it up I'm sure there is at least one source of converters for your car.

Here is a link that I think you'll find helpful:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
290 Posts
check below link

1 - 3 of 3 Posts