SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Catalytic Recall but no Re program ??

5641 Views 95 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  DGatzby
2017 Challenger Cat replacement and reprograming has not been done yet. I have an appointment next week for it.

But I have been reading that some people have had bad results from the reprograming.

Anyone know if I can just go with just the new cats and no re programing ?

UPDATE ON PAGE 2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,219 Posts
I have lived lived it and have been disappointed for three seasons now with the lack of 2019 RE performance and serious mechanical failures on road courses. To Dodge’s credit they have repaired my unit. I have not completely done a track day except once in three years now! That once was the day before the supercharger and engine blew!

@TrackDay has video from BIR where this piece of bovine poop can’t pull away from a 2016 Hellcat, that we shot 2 or three years ago. Not a bit!

My solution? I violated the SOB last night. Robbed a copy of the base tune. By this time next week my PCM will be on the way back unlocked, my new tune will be ready. For the track, I have the set of by-pass pipes to take those damn twin air pollution heaters they call cat converters off my car. Screw the warranty! Not worth the frustration. My 2015 Hellcat can wipe this Redeye’s azz at this point. I have acceleration logs and lap times that show obviously the Redeye either don’t work as represented, or that 2015 was one hell of a factory freak. For lap times, this mother is a widebody and wears the widest tires available! The 2015 has 295/30’s mounted on 11” wide wheels and mopped the floor of others! This car currently sucks air. But! I’ll be back with the revised unit. Stay tuned.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,219 Posts
Were do you get a copy of the original factory tune mine is 2016 m6 but had recall done already. I need to get a new unlocked pcm from hpp tuners then ill get it tuned. I thought the original tune was wiped out after recall.gonna keep factory pcm with recall tune on it for spare.
Your original tune was erased with the recall. What I explained is that it is a good idea to have a copy of whatever tune your PCM has before it is sent to any unlock service. For that you are correct it requires HP Tuner hardware and software to extract the tune. That was sent to my tuner. My “new” tune is actually about ready. For example tomorrow the PCM gets yanked and sent to get unlocked next week. I don’t need a “spare” for anything. I never want to hear or see this stock tune or ever see some of the temps this has developed ever again.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,219 Posts
Hey Vet Rider or all .after reveiwing my posts about emmissions recall. I thought i would throw something positive out here. The recall was for 15 16 and 17s hellcats. I know few people with 2018 a8 and 2019 m6 and 2020 a8 hellcats. They are all stock there is no recalls for these cars they already have the same tune right from factory as i have with my recall. There all happy and there cars run like beasts as well as mine. So what iam saying is my car runs and sounds just like theres . So i shouldnt be complaining even though there was a before and after change. Bottom Line these cars run very very good and sound good. If you drove my car and got into it even after recall it runs as well as all the 2018s and up.
Good for you, your lucky.

My ‘19 Redeye was NOT getting better sector times than my ‘15 Hellcat did. It had the dreaded “hiccup” when shifting CONSISTENTLY, which is bull chit. Also have a few laps with a ‘16 Hellcat, same, the expected acceleration difference was not happening. Same course, same driver, same weather, apparently more power, widebody, bigger tires and wheels. NO they don’t run better or good.

Also, it has blown two superchargers, an engine and four sets of cats, I lost track. Just before fixing it, it was melting at least one converter without fail and overheating on each and every visit to the tracks. I knew others experiencing the same if they drive road courses aggressively. Repeated cat failures. I had it “fixed” and now it runs as expected without fail AND COOLER. Oh and without the damn cats off road, that is another expensive PIA to change up just to drive on the track.

If it all was not covered under warranty, I would have initiated a lawsuit, for fraud and misrepresentation. I could have purchased a completely re-engineered rear cradle assembly for the ‘15 to not mysteriously blow every type of axle boot known to man cheaper than buying the RE, and upgrading the suspension and brakes on it, and been ahead! Finally it is right, but it took four seasons.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,219 Posts
I dont track mine . All street driven . But i do play with it when the right opportunity presents itself.iam all stock i belive car was better before recall but it still rocks iam m6 sounds like your a8. You certainly have had issues . Iam glad you resolved them. What do recemend for some one with all stock m6 that just wants to wake it up some.
@Jon-MooredPerformance ;)
If it is sweet now, after that it is a different car that you can only dream about.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,219 Posts
Warranty is up. Would a mild tune make that much of difference overall. I had that recall done and i feel it altered the way my car runs . It still runs good dont know if the mild tune would may that much of differece . Sounds like like you dont think it would be worth it. Performance wise. Maybe i should leave well enough alone.
My advice above still holds. If your warranty is gone, then make it better! Can't wait to get it out again next season. It runs great! Listen to a 60-150 hit...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts