SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Catalytic Recall but no Re program ??

5503 95
2017 Challenger Cat replacement and reprograming has not been done yet. I have an appointment next week for it.

But I have been reading that some people have had bad results from the reprograming.

Anyone know if I can just go with just the new cats and no re programing ?

UPDATE ON PAGE 2
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· Registered
3,642 Posts
I had this done to just get new cats and O2 sensors. I had my old cats and O2 sensors in the trunk as I just installed new cats and O2 sensors with new engine build. They traded me old parts for new never touching my car except they would not do the trade without a reflash of the pcm. They need such to prove a car was done and satisfy the recall on the vin. I brought my stock pcm with me, installed it, they flashed it, and I then removed it and put my tuned one back in. They had no problem with this but would not release the parts to me without flashing the pcm first. They took the cats but told me I could keep the old O2 sensors. Here’s the pics with the stuff at home, cats are sealed and in my attic and sensor kit still in the box.

Font Auto part Tool Gas Metal
Wood Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Shotgun
Wood Floor Tool Wall Road surface
Bicycle handlebar Grey Asphalt Vehicle Electrical wiring

· Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
2,293 Posts
I had this done to just get new cats and O2 sensors. I had my old cats and O2 sensors in the trunk as I just installed new cats and O2 sensors with new engine build. They traded me old parts for new never touching my car except they would not do the trade without a reflash of the pcm. They need such to prove a car was done and satisfy the recall on the vin. I brought my stock pcm with me, installed it, they flashed it, and I then removed it and put my tuned one back in. They had no problem with this but would not release the parts to me without flashing the pcm first. They took the cats but told me I could keep the old O2 sensors. Here’s the pics with the stuff at home, cats are sealed and in my attic and sensor kit still in the box.

View attachment 597395 View attachment 597396 View attachment 597399 View attachment 597400
Are they for sale?

· Registered
3,793 Posts

View attachment 597395 View attachment 597396 View attachment 597399 View attachment 597400
Smart!

· Registered
36 Posts
Yes of course they have the latest calibration. I've been saying this like crazy.

The flash is for the cat over temp threshold and how much the car intervenes when you hit those thresholds. The only way to stop this is an aftermarket tune.

As I've said before I have logs and evidence that proves all this. My 21 never ran right at WOT when it got hot because of this. I had to get the car tuned to turn off COT and make it run right which it did. I had other fueling issues with that car so I sold it. But you will feel when it steps in. Look at my video how the car reacts when it hits COT thresholds. The boost drops to almost nothing and the car falls on its face.

Hey vetrider were would you take your car for tune ? Can they do a new tune with new recall cats and o2s ? And can they and get into computer (pcm) without throwing cel s and make it run the way it did before recall or better. While keeping all stock . Do they need to put different cats on to achieve this. I believe these new cats are far more restrictive which is why car is quieter and feels like power loss.

· Registered
36 Posts
Also, people have before and after HP tuners readouts of before and after this flash. It looks like all it does is change the cat over temp thresholds.
Hey unholy707 iam old school cams ignitions intake manual valve body autos hole shot converters headers gears ect. No computers. I had this recall last july 2016 m6. This car all stock no mods at all loved the way it sounded and ran.know its quieter cats must be overly restricted which equals loss of power weaker pulls. Can someone retune this thing back to life or more With these cats or do i need new free flowing cat s and new o2s and can some one g. et into 2016 pcm and program this is this they way its done i dont know any out there with any guidance on this iam in buffalo ny does any one know any who does this.

· Registered
36 Posts
Hey unholy707 iam old school cams ignitions intake manual valve body autos hole shot converters headers gears ect. No computers. I had this recall last july 2016 m6. This car all stock no mods at all loved the way it sounded and ran.know its quieter cats must be overly restricted which equals loss of power weaker pulls. Can someone retune this thing back to life or more With these cats or do i need new free flowing cat s and new o2s and can some one g. et into 2016 pcm and program this is this they way its done i dont know any out there with any guidance on this iam in buffalo ny does any one know any who does this.
Also dont want any cel s

· Registered
36 Posts
I doubt it would pass any inspection with out any cats and a straihjt pipe all i can say is thesre new cats are very restrictive far less free flowing thats why my car is quieter and a little less resposnsive (power loss) and it runs hotter when lightly cruising around town.
You just described exactly how my 2016 m6 is know since recall . I feel like the company owes me a rebate scince they took away something i already paid for if it were other way around they'd be asking me for money. Can this be tuned close to were it was without changing cats and o2s just a reprogram.?

· Registered
21 Camaro ZL1
1,406 Posts
You just described exactly how my 2016 m6 is know since recall . I feel like the company owes me a rebate scince they took away something i already paid for if it were other way around they'd be asking me for money. Can this be tuned close to were it was without changing cats and o2s just a reprogram.?
Yeah an aftermarket tune can turn off all that COT stuff and really wake up your car. At this point being way out of warranty I’d tune it no problem.

· Registered
177 Posts
Yeah an aftermarket tune can turn off all that COT stuff and really wake up your car. At this point being way out of warranty I’d tune it no problem.
Do they replace the ecm or pcm or reprogram what i have and do they do this with these new cats and o2s ? I really dont know how this all works do they run it on a dyno ? If replacment parts are needed for this tune dont want to replace pully just want it close to were it was or of course a little mote is fine m6.

· Registered
36 Posts
Ok just went to tuner shop . Was told to remove pcm and send to hp tuners or his shop will send it in because he can't get in 2016 and they can reflash my pcm back to original tune .then he will dyno tune with my new recall cats and maybe even get 10
Or 20 more hp just maybe depends on how restricted the cats are
. Does this sound right to you
Am i able to get new pcm with old tune and save my hobbled pcm for spare.

· Registered
36 Posts
@DodgeCares we need compensation for the costs associated to get our cars back to the advertised HP we paid for at the time of purchase please or this recall needs to be corrected. Thanks
To black6mcat on another note i was at car show with my recalled cat 2016 m6. I parked next to 2018 hellcat a8. We were talking and filled him in on my recall and he said i wont be doing that recall and i told him you already bought it with it done already. He fired up his cat all stock like mine and they sound the same. Mine use to be louder with that real gargly sound. When i pulled out rolling like 15 mph gave. It little goose and got sideways real quick it still runs good but it was better before recall you feel the differences when your in normal driving when you get into it its harder to notice wish i didnt do it.

· Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, I’m not sure you’re allowed to mess with the factory emissions system
No i don't want to change the new cats just like to have pcm retuned back to were it was or close as they can or better i know new cats are more restrictive i want to leave car all stock but i just learned my tuner cant get in 2016 pcm need to pull pcm send to hp tuners they can reflash old tune then my tuner can put it on dyno and play with it and do his thing.ide like to keep this tune and on the pcm and get a new one with reflash and save it but they want my factory pcm and vin #. Any way good luck to us all who did the recall i only get 1000 or so miles on this car a year my original cats would have lasted a life time for me. I dont race it but i do do have fun with it and i can notice the power loss. Any one whos cats do go and throw codes when you bring in for repair this recall is the repair.

· Registered
21 Camaro ZL1
1,406 Posts
No i don't want to change the new cats just like to have pcm retuned back to were it was or close as they can or better i know new cats are more restrictive i want to leave car all stock but i just learned my tuner cant get in 2016 pcm need to pull pcm send to hp tuners they can reflash old tune then my tuner can put it on dyno and play with it and do his thing.ide like to keep this tune and on the pcm and get a new one with reflash and save it but they want my factory pcm and vin #. Any way good luck to us all who did the recall i only get 1000 or so miles on this car a year my original cats would have lasted a life time for me. I dont race it but i do do have fun with it and i can notice the power loss. Any one whos cats do go and throw codes when you bring in for repair this recall is the repair.
Tuner just needs to turn off cat over temp and a few other settings for tq management. There is no need to go backwards in calibration.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts