SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Catalytic Recall but no Re program ??

5087 95
2017 Challenger Cat replacement and reprograming has not been done yet. I have an appointment next week for it.

But I have been reading that some people have had bad results from the reprograming.

Anyone know if I can just go with just the new cats and no re programing ?

UPDATE ON PAGE 2
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Challenger Cat replacement and reprograming has not been done yet. I have an appointment next week for it.

But I have been reading that some people have had bad results from the reprograming.

Anyone know if I can just go with just the new cats and no re programing ?

UPDATE ON PAGE 2
I Did The Recall Myself On My 2016 Charger Hellcat, And Parts Went Great And The Program Also Did Just Fine, I Just Submitted For Reimbursement And Will Get It At Some Point, The Car Runs And Sound The Same. No Change At All. Hope This Helps

·
Registered
115 Posts
I Did The Recall Myself On My 2016 Charger Hellcat, And Parts Went Great And The Program Also Did Just Fine, I Just Submitted For Reimbursement And Will Get It At Some Point, The Car Runs And Sound The Same. No Change At All. Hope This Helps
Hey ChrisPoirier. Thats cool that you did it your self . They gave you cats and o2 sensers and program . And you replaced all with no issuses . And your car runs and sounds the same. I cant say the same here.did you have to return old cats. I was there when my tech at dealer did the work . The new cats look identical on the outside anyway unless they cut them in half and added sum more restriction. And when he downloaded the flash it all went smooth. And as i have said on the forum my car still run good but is quieter and i feel i lost some bottom torque and or hp. As compared to before recall .as soon as he started car i said right to him .this car is quieter. We took for ride he drove .he has driven it before. I told him dont be shy he stepped into it lightly .we go back to dealer and he says this thing runs great. He says if you think its quieter the cats are probaly more restrictive and didnt or doesn't want to belive the flash would cause a de tune . From some of the replies on the forum it seems the m6 cars were effected more especially in sound dept. I know of one person just around the corner from me who has a8 chally . He did recall and he also claims it doesnt sound the same he didnt mention performance much. But were to different people. Anyway iam glad things went well for you. I ordered the zautomotive aeds plug ins to keep vales open and no cels. Car is garaged till april so wont find out if my cold starts and idle improve . Leaving car all stock other than that . They should be showing up at my front door today. I have 2016 m6 challanger if any one has installed these on there stock m6 i would love to hear your results. Iam never short for words good luck to all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes that’s first. You’ll need to get whatever PCM you use unlocked. When it’s unlocked, put it back in the car and the tune would need to be read. Then with that copy of your stock tune, cot can be disabled along with whatever the tuner does for his base tune. Then that will be flashed back on.
Hey Vet Rider or all .after reveiwing my posts about emmissions recall. I thought i would throw something positive out here. The recall was for 15 16 and 17s hellcats. I know few people with 2018 a8 and 2019 m6 and 2020 a8 hellcats. They are all stock there is no recalls for these cars they already have the same tune right from factory as i have with my recall. There all happy and there cars run like beasts as well as mine. So what iam saying is my car runs and sounds just like theres . So i shouldnt be complaining even though there was a before and after change. Bottom Line these cars run very very good and sound good. If you drove my car and got into it even after recall it runs as well as all the 2018s and up.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,168 Posts
Hey Vet Rider or all .after reveiwing my posts about emmissions recall. I thought i would throw something positive out here. The recall was for 15 16 and 17s hellcats. I know few people with 2018 a8 and 2019 m6 and 2020 a8 hellcats. They are all stock there is no recalls for these cars they already have the same tune right from factory as i have with my recall. There all happy and there cars run like beasts as well as mine. So what iam saying is my car runs and sounds just like theres . So i shouldnt be complaining even though there was a before and after change. Bottom Line these cars run very very good and sound good. If you drove my car and got into it even after recall it runs as well as all the 2018s and up.
Good for you, your lucky.

My ‘19 Redeye was NOT getting better sector times than my ‘15 Hellcat did. It had the dreaded “hiccup” when shifting CONSISTENTLY, which is bull chit. Also have a few laps with a ‘16 Hellcat, same, the expected acceleration difference was not happening. Same course, same driver, same weather, apparently more power, widebody, bigger tires and wheels. NO they don’t run better or good.

Also, it has blown two superchargers, an engine and four sets of cats, I lost track. Just before fixing it, it was melting at least one converter without fail and overheating on each and every visit to the tracks. I knew others experiencing the same if they drive road courses aggressively. Repeated cat failures. I had it “fixed” and now it runs as expected without fail AND COOLER. Oh and without the damn cats off road, that is another expensive PIA to change up just to drive on the track.

If it all was not covered under warranty, I would have initiated a lawsuit, for fraud and misrepresentation. I could have purchased a completely re-engineered rear cradle assembly for the ‘15 to not mysteriously blow every type of axle boot known to man cheaper than buying the RE, and upgrading the suspension and brakes on it, and been ahead! Finally it is right, but it took four seasons.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
938 Posts
I just had the V86 recall done two weeks ago when I had my cat in for clutch repair. The exhaust note seems louder than before I took her in. In fact, it sounded so much louder that paranoia set in and I took a look on either side of the trans housing this morning to make sure the new cats were actually installed, LOL. My roommate noticed it as well, and asked me if I had the muffler removed (he's not a car guy). While the note is louder, it's not an annoying raspy or crackling note. Still deep, thunderous, and just a tad more badassed than before.

Ironically, my personalized plate is CATSOFF. My service tech contacted me by email to ask it that meant I had done something with the catalytic converters that he should be aware of before he replaced them with the new ones. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just had the V86 recall done two weeks ago when I had my cat in for clutch repair. The exhaust note seems louder than before I took her in. In fact, it sounded so much louder that paranoia set in and I took a look on either side of the trans housing this morning to make sure the new cats were actually installed, LOL. My roommate noticed it as well, and asked me if I had the muffler removed (he's not a car guy). While the note is louder, it's not an annoying raspy or crackling note. Still deep, thunderous, and just a tad more badassed than before.

Ironically, my personalized plate is CATSOFF. My service tech contacted me by email to ask it that meant I had done something with the catalytic converters that he should be aware of before he replaced them with the new ones. :)
Well sounds like your recall went well . What year i have m6 as well but mine turned out quieter? Are you all stock ? Makes me wonder if there were more than one standard reflash . Mine use to really roar on cold start up . I mean in a good way. Know it still does but its a cleaner smoother tone down to low idle

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT M6 Hellcat
938 Posts
Well sounds like your recall went well . What year i have m6 as well but mine turned out quieter? Are you all stock ? Makes me wonder if there were more than one standard reflash . Mine use to really roar on cold start up . I mean in a good way. Know it still does but its a cleaner smoother tone down to low idle
Exhaust system is all stock. I have a CF CAI, but I don't think it affects exhaust note, only intake sound.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good for you, your lucky.

My ‘19 Redeye was NOT getting better sector times than my ‘15 Hellcat did. It had the dreaded “hiccup” when shifting CONSISTENTLY, which is bull chit. Also have a few laps with a ‘16 Hellcat, same, the expected acceleration difference was not happening. Same course, same driver, same weather, apparently more power, widebody, bigger tires and wheels. NO they don’t run better or good.

Also, it has blown two superchargers, an engine and four sets of cats, I lost track. Just before fixing it, it was melting at least one converter without fail and overheating on each and every visit to the tracks. I knew others experiencing the same if they drive road courses aggressively. Repeated cat failures. I had it “fixed” and now it runs as expected without fail AND COOLER. Oh and without the damn cats off road, that is another expensive PIA to change up just to drive on the track.

If it all was not covered under warranty, I would have initiated a lawsuit, for fraud and misrepresentation. I could have purchased a completely re-engineered rear cradle assembly for the ‘15 to not mysteriously blow every type of axle boot known to man cheaper than buying the RE, and upgrading the suspension and brakes on it, and been ahead! Finally it is right, but it took four seasons.
I dont track mine . All street driven . But i do play with it when the right opportunity presents itself.iam all stock i belive car was better before recall but it still rocks iam m6 sounds like your a8. You certainly have had issues . Iam glad you resolved them. What do recemend for some one with all stock m6 that just wants to wake it up some.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,168 Posts
I dont track mine . All street driven . But i do play with it when the right opportunity presents itself.iam all stock i belive car was better before recall but it still rocks iam m6 sounds like your a8. You certainly have had issues . Iam glad you resolved them. What do recemend for some one with all stock m6 that just wants to wake it up some.
@Jon-MooredPerformance ;)
If it is sweet now, after that it is a different car that you can only dream about.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yes they changed both.
Hey Link ive done recall car is all stock 2016 m6 . Dont want to do pullys or injecters ect. . I have factory locked pcm . What kind of tune do you recemend . I would have to get my pcm unlocked or get another one unlocked . What kind of tune can i get and leave rest of car all stock and what kind of results might i expect over stock tune.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an auto so cant say much regarding the M6. If you don't wan to do a pulley why give up your warranty for a mild tune? Is your warranty up?
Warranty is up. Would a mild tune make that much of difference overall. I had that recall done and i feel it altered the way my car runs . It still runs good dont know if the mild tune would may that much of differece . Sounds like like you dont think it would be worth it. Performance wise. Maybe i should leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,168 Posts
Warranty is up. Would a mild tune make that much of difference overall. I had that recall done and i feel it altered the way my car runs . It still runs good dont know if the mild tune would may that much of differece . Sounds like like you dont think it would be worth it. Performance wise. Maybe i should leave well enough alone.
My advice above still holds. If your warranty is gone, then make it better! Can't wait to get it out again next season. It runs great! Listen to a 60-150 hit...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts