SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Cats over heating ??????

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Vet Rider 
#1 ·
21 redeye charger , I put it on a dyno 620rwhp , afr 9.7 talked to a tuner and he said it’s called COT , told my my cats are heating up and the ecu is dumping fuel to cool them off , said it could be fixed with a tune. My problem is I don’t have all the parts I wanna install before I get it tuned so I was wondering if you guys think if I do a 02 sensor spacer will it stop it from reading such a high temp till I get my tune done

#3 ·
Keep in mind that those high readings are a result of something going on that's causing the cats to heat up. Running too rich, for example, is a common cause. Disabling the cat cooling in the tune and/or putting spacers on will not prevent harm or damage to the cats. If it were my car, I'd either correct what's causing the cats to overheat (if what's going on is abnormal) or I'd quit driving it until my build was done.

#11 ·
This is good info. I do not think it effects me for my use of the car(normal driving with a few highway pulls here and there). I do plan to take the car to a 1/4 mile track though. Will this effect my car if I make 2-3 passes? Between runs the car would be in the staging lanes cooling down.

#17 ·
I believe you but I still have yet to experience this through normal operation and we've had some very hot days that I've pushed the car pretty hard in. It seems that my use case, at least, manages to stay below these thresholds where I might experience the issue so it's likely not something that many people will notice or run into, luckily. Maybe certain cars are worse than others as well for whatever reason but glad I'm not seeing it.

#18 ·
Well my car did exactly like Vet Rider described after the cat recall and flash.
I only did it because I saw my car was going into cot protection stock. It did not seem to affect the performance at the time but it showed in logs. Mine is a 2016.
I had no choice but to tune out the problem.
My car is now back to being consistent and runs better than before. (We raised the shift points while tuning) Last weekend I got to run door to door with a Demon.😎

Reactions: Vet Rider
#19 ·
I'd be curious to get Dodge's official stance on it. If it becomes a big enough issue there probably will be a class action since it doesn't sound like some of us are getting the performance that we've paid big bucks for.

Do other vehicles in the class have the same issue? GT500? ZL1? etc

#20 ·
I'd be curious to get Dodge's official stance on it. If it becomes a big enough issue there probably will be a class action since it doesn't sound like some of us are getting the performance that we've paid big bucks for.

Do other vehicles in the class have the same issue? GT500? ZL1? etc
The GT500 has some sort of similar limp mode issue that plagues them stock.
I had an 18 ZL1 and now a 21 ZL1 and neither ever did anything like this. My current Z I have logged the hell out of. And aside from some random knock from being totally heat soaked, it has never did what the hellcats do at that degree. I mean with my 21 charger I was seeing 115mph traps at the end of the track. The car would rip to the 1/8 mile then completely die like the blower belt came off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.