SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in late August about my DSS CF Driveshaft failure. The shaft broke on the 5th pass. The car is stock other than the 305 Mickeys on the back. The good new is it didn't damage a thing other than the insulation that lines the transmission tunnel. I got a hold of the DSS and they were great to deal with. Spoke with them on the phone and several e-mails back and forth. They warrantied the shaft no problem and got me out one within a week or so after they got my shaft. I asked what they thought happened and they said they weren't sure as they never had a stock car break one. They said it looked like a torque failure. The only thing I can attribute it too is I tried Launch control on the second pass and I couldn't hold the car. I can only assume it somehow partially fractured the shaft and just finally let go on the 5th pass. The new shaft is now installed and no issues.

The link below shows the install and shows the extent of the damage which was limited to the tunnel insulation. If anyone is contemplating doing the drive shaft themselves it's pretty easy to do as long as you have access to a lift. I know some have done it on jack stands... After installing this shaft twice I sure wouldn't want to do it laying on my back with the car on stands as it is kind of cramped quarters down there.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
upload_2017-11-10_22-38-55.jpeg

A Pic of the broken shaft.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
47 Posts
That is great that they took care of it for you. Does the one piece create the whine like an aluminum one piece does?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well J78... Funny you ask I also just smoked the diff in October. It was only doing a one wheel peel so the diff was replaced under warranty. So I upgraded to the 3.09's at the same time. The CF drive shaft with the old diff did have a slight whine. But it was less than my 09 SRT8. The new Diff with the 3.09's and the CF drive shaft make no noise. Really pleased.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most instructional video...

Great job :)
Thx Red... I hoped it would help someone contemplating doing it themselves enough info to tackle the job. It's really not a bad job as long as you can get under the car. I highly recommend taking the exhaust off in one piece. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts