SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Hellcat and not sure whether the Redeye is worth the extra to me. It'll be a street car.

I'm sure theres loads of posts about this but I've had a search and read quite a few but not any clearer. I'm trying to decide and getting totally confused between 2019 and 2020 wide body models so hopefully someone can help.

I think this is right but please correct:
2019 Hellcat
2.62 no options

2020 Hellcat
3.70 no options

2019 and 2020 Redeye
2.62 standard
3.09 option (I would have this)

Redeye has which Hellcat doesn't:
HO engine
Power chiller - very neat idea but not something I'd need
41 spline heavier duty drive shafts

It seems suspension is the same?

Prices on 2020 without options:
cat - $64K with auto box
Redeye - $73K with 3.09 diff

I'm coming from sports to muscle so aware it'll be a completely different driving experience. Current is a 595HP GTR which will do 0-60 in around 2.5 seconds so whilst this wont be as quick as that and struggle with traction in comparison I don't want to opt for the Hellcat and feel that its markedly slower and wish I'd opted for the Redeye HO engine. But I'm having a job to justify the extra $9K and I'm guessing the 3.7 diff in the 2020 Hellcat might assist with off the mark feel.

I'm going to be having a drive in a 2018 Hellcat in a week or so's time but I'm the UK and so cannot test drive models for comparison.

Oh yes and which do you prefer, I'm stuck between Frostbite/B5 depending on year or F8. Bear in mind it rains a lot here and so doesn't always benefit from looking good in sunshine.

Thanks for any input and thoughts.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car a long while buy the WB RE or you will wish you did afterwards. Coming from a 4WD GTR to a 800 hp rear wheel drive car with 275’s on it max fit 315’s your not going to be happy with a NB, get a WB RE with 3.09 put 345’s on the rear on 12” wide rims and you’ll be happy for a long time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,823 Posts
Itseems suspension is the same?
Yes, Widebody suspension is the same on both whether Redeye or 717hp.

and I'm guessing the 3.7 diff in the 2020 Hellcat might assist with off the mark feel.
The 3.70 axle is only with manual transmission, with automatic it will have a 2.62 same as Redeye only no option on 717hp car to upgrade to 3.09, they will all have the 2.62 if automatic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lize

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,317 Posts
Dont forget the Power Bucks are applicable for 2020 now if that helps with your decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WB RE or you will wish you did afterwards.
This is my feeling, I don't want to have buyers remorse but probably only keep for 2 or 3 years though.

Coming from a 4WD GTR to a 800 hp rear wheel drive car
I have HSV Maloo too, thats only 525 through rear wheels though and is quite well behaved. I fitted a Pedal Commander on my Ram and always have that in sport mode, doesn't do anything for power but throttle response is so different and drives so much better, its hilarious on a slightly damp road with the mud chucker tires. I think I'll like the Challenger, feel that I'm getting a bit old and want a more comfortable and fun car and don't really need the huge track type performance of the GTR anymore.

WB RE with 3.09 put 345’s on the rear on 12” wide rims and you’ll be happy for a long time.
I love it, not even bought the car and I'm thinking about mods, I've already been reading about tower braces on here. My local tyre shop closed down and I'm having a job to find someone to change 10.5J rims so will definitely need to find someone with bigger machine for 12s. On the plus side, I can practice rubber stripes with the OEM before changing ?.

The 3.70 axle is only with manual transmission
I didn't think of it being manual transmission, makes sense now thanks.

Dont forget the Power Bucks are applicable for 2020 now if that helps with your decision.
I'll buy through an importer so unfortunately it won't make any difference to me. He has various contacts and says it would be cheaper from one of his European suppliers but looks like they can only get the Hellcat so price differential may be even greater. My Ram came from Canada as he often gets better deals there than from the States.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
17 Posts
Am also in the UK have had 4 hellcats
2016 auto
2017 manual
2019 widebody auto
And currently 2019 redeye would have to say the manual was the most fun. Definitely think the widebody is a big improvement. Really liked the 19 widebody with the 2.62 gears but just knowing the redeye was out there had to make the change. my redeye has the 3.09 gears which really wakes it up on acceleration and feels like a totally different car and would not change back. But if the redeye didn’t exist would’ve been more than satisfied with the 2.62 widebody. Probably a better car for the money. The redeye with the 3.09 is very aggressive on downshift and feels like it wants to be on the track all the time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
83 Posts
I would definitely go with B5 or frostbite over the f8 green. On overcast days the green is just not pretty, in my opinion. Reminds me of military green.

Reactions: Lize

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my redeye has the 3.09 gears which really wakes it up on acceleration and feels like a totally different car and would not change back.
This was what I was worrying about and the main reason I'm thinking to go for the Redeye. Also, I've had 3 GTRs with increasing HP each time, from 485 to 545 which was a big jump (in fact after a test drive I felt mine was a bit slow!) then to 595 and each was very noticeable. Before this I used to watch supercar car reviews and wonder with such power how they could tell the difference between competing models, then with my limited experience I realised you can and hence tempted to the Redeye.

I would definitely go with B5 or frostbite over the f8 green. On overcast days the green is just not pretty, in my opinion. Reminds me of military green.
Thanks, it's difficult to tell from internet pictures but thats a helpful photo coupled with your description. I thought a dull day may affect the green so think blue will be the way forward.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Thanks, it's difficult to tell from internet pictures but thats a helpful photo coupled with your description. I thought a dull day may affect the green so think blue will be the way forward
I kind of like GoManGo, it fits me lol :)

DF39FFBA-2E16-4394-9F66-7ED1AE044EC3.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, after a bit of dithering and then the virus I put a hold on buying one. I was offered a Redeye and yesterday I put down a deposit :love:.

Its actually a 2019 model that a dealer in Canada wants to shift and I have hence got it for a good price. Its fully loaded and even with exchange rate differences its cheaper than when I specified very limited options so felt it was time to go for it.

It has the optional 3.09 diff but the only slight snag is its black which is the one colour I definitely wouldn't have ordered. I'll wait and see how I feel about the colour when it arrives but theres room to have it wrapped if I don't like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its got the black brake calipers too which I'm pleased about as not a fan of coloured ones, I had grey ones on my wish list as thought slightly better for dust.

I think the stripes save it from looking too murdered.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
422 Posts
Its got the black brake calipers too which I'm pleased about as not a fan of coloured ones, I had grey ones on my wish list as thought slightly better for dust.

I think the stripes save it from looking too murdered.
Looks great you just need extra time to keep it clean unless you go for the ceramic coating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
price differential
With it being the 19 model I'm more than happy to have the Redeye than the Hellcat and not left wondering either way.
A good result (y)

Looks great you just need extra time to keep it clean unless you go for the ceramic coating.
Yes, I used to have a metallic black Raptor and that was a nightmare, even after washing the next day it was disappointing with dust. Will have to be super careful about washing too not sure about the Dodge paint softness (Red Ram seems OK) but the Ford didn't suffer from swirls. Going to build a garage later in the year so hopefully should be better.

I had my Ram Swiss Vaxed not permanent but happy to have it redone periodically, with ceramic coated I'm a bit nervous of it having to be machined off when getting to end of life. Likely I wont keep it that long but it'd be a shame if it didn't look as good as it could or need a lot of work when it comes to resale.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
422 Posts
With it being the 19 model I'm more than happy to have the Redeye than the Hellcat and not left wondering either way.
A good result (y)

Yes, I used to have a metallic black Raptor and that was a nightmare, even after washing the next day it was disappointing with dust. Will have to be super careful about washing too not sure about the Dodge paint softness but the Ford didn't suffer from swirls. Going to build a garage later in the year so hopefully should be better.

I had my Ram Swiss Vaxed not permanent but happy to have it redone periodically, with ceramic coated I'm a bit nervous of it having to be machined off when getting to end of life. Likely I wont keep it that long but it'd be a shame if it didn't look as good as it could or need a lot of work when it comes to resale.
At 1 time in my life I had three black cars at one time.Only 1 now and could not be happier. But for the 10 minutes that they are clean it is like you are starring at a 1000 point show car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At 1 time in my life I had three black cars at one time.Only 1 now and could not be happier. But for the 10 minutes that they are clean it is like you are starring at a 1000 point show car.
Wow, 3 at once, gluten for punishment! Yes, it doesn't take long if you keep on top of it and black does hold a deep shine so well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts