SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys just picked up my Challenger Hellcat and I have a question. I'm a newbie here and am very happy that I found this forum. My question is when my car is cold and I start it I hear a little squealling (maybe the wrong word) but it tends to go away when the car warms up. Just want to know if that's sounds normal to you guys. Thanks in advance.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
Hi Guys just picked up my Challenger Hellcat and I have a question. I'm a newbie here and am very happy that I found this forum. My question is when my car is cold and I start it I hear a little squealling (maybe the wrong word) but it tends to go away when the car warms up. Just want to know if that's sounds normal to you guys. Thanks in advance.
Where are you at? Is it super cold there? A serpentine belt can squeal when very cold...it's actually slipping, but these cars have a 10-rib belt which is about the widest I've ever heard of, so less likely to slip. How many miles are on it? Auto or manual?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess when I say cold in california I mean about 50 degrees lol. The car has 37 miles on it and it's the automatic. Maybe I'm just over thinking. I can take to the dealer but I figured I would check with you guys first. It goes away when the car warms up. It's kind of weird.

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
So not really that cold (I live in Oklahoma, so we don't have brutal winters and I've been to CA many times). Maybe you have a faulty serpentine belt...5mm (1/5 of an inch) too big...that would cause a slip but goes away after it gets some heat and traction. If in doubt, take it to the dealer and let them figure it out...that's what a warranty is for.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
10,951 Posts
Are you sure it's not the supercharger, when I start mine cold , you can here the supercharger,, and keep an eye on your oil cooler line, heard of another one going into service for it

·
Left Shark
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,141 Posts
Are you sure it's not the supercharger, when I start mine cold , you can here the supercharger,, and keep an eye on your oil cooler line, heard of another one going into service for it
But that's only if you notice oil leaking from the bottom of the car around the passenger front fender area, only a single case so far. And yes, in these cars, you can hear the supercharger. I don't have mine yet...just a hot rodder and wrench spinner from way back, so I have no first hand knowledge of this vehicle other than riding in a drag race in one, against another with my girlfriend riding shotgun in the HC beside me at Gas Monkey Live event in Dallas in November. Take it to the dealer, let them keep it overnight...so it's cold, then be there the next morning for the first start up with the tech working on it, so you can both hear and identify the same sound...that will help him diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took it into Huntington Beach Dodge this morning, and they just called me telling me that they are taking the belts and pulleys off. The tech is hoping it's the Idler or bearings. I'm not a tech guy so really don't understand what the hell is going on. He said if it's not that it's Probibaly the super charger. To say the least I'm really upset. 40 miles on the car and this is happening. hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks RadCat. Do you think it has anything to do with someone pushing it real hard before I got it? Just curious, because I haven't even pushed it. I wanted it to break in a little before doing anything.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I guess when I say cold in california I mean about 50 degrees lol. The car has 37 miles on it and it's the automatic. Maybe I'm just over thinking. I can take to the dealer but I figured I would check with you guys first. It goes away when the car warms up. It's kind of weird.
Take it in. You should not have any squeal at all in that temp. I have not had anything like that and I'm at 2000 miles now. Welcome to the forum, by the way! Glad you joined. Enjoy and Congrats on your new Hellbaby!:D

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks hellcat1. It got delivered to me with 9 miles so your probibaly right. Just upset something went bad so soon. The funny part is I noticed it the day the car for delivered which means the selling dealer either didn't notice it or just sent it out wanting me to deal with it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you guys think the parts are readily available in stock? Pulleys, idler, worst case super charger? I just would hate to have it sit at the dealer for a week. Waiting on parts.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Do you guys think the parts are readily available in stock? Pulleys, idler, worst case super charger? I just would hate to have it sit at the dealer for a week. Waiting on parts.
Could be just an adjustment. If it needs parts, they might say you can drive till they come in. Depends on issue and risk of driving it. Sounds minor, but who knows till the expert looks. :)

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,911 Posts
I was just 9 degrees here and I had no squeal when starting it in the morning. I would take it in to have checked. That belt is the widest I have ever seen on a production car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.