SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Charger Hellcat Redeye - Delay at initial acceleration

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Diavolo 
#1 ·
I notice a short delay in acceleration when first starting out from a stop in first gear. Is this considered normal on the Hellcat and Hellcat Redeye ?

#4 ·
You might be feeling the slop in the driveline due to the two piece driveshaft. Many have commented that when you swap to a one piece DS, the slop is gone and the car feels 10x more reactive to the loud pedal. Also you might be sitting in second gear at a stop if you are not in sport or track, and when you step on it the car has to drop to 1st to get you off quickly. I think this only happens in ECO mode though. Get a video if you can and post it here.

#7 ·
probably will get roasted for this :LOL: I had a Sierra Denali with the 6.2 and when I first got it I was not impressed by throttle response. I got a pedal commander and results were night and day. I only ever ran it on sport 4 and that was plenty response. There was a sport+ mode with 4 levels beyond that. My wife turned it off if she ever drove it because it was too touchy.. I have one I was going to put on my scat wide body that I just traded for my hellcat but I haven't tried it yet.

#9 ·
Don't recall any delay with my 2018 Hellcat. My 2020 Scat Pack is likewise delay free.

It is possible Dodge modified the electronic throttle to open less slowly upon a big depress of the gas pedal. I recall years ago with my VW Golf TDi flooring the pedal would result in noticeably less acceleration/a alower increase in acceleration than feeding in the pedal as fast as I felt the engine could "take" more pedal. Being a diesel this was in part to reduce (it eliminated it actually) the cloud of soot a diesel engine can emit if the engine is given too much throttle.

#10 ·
I remember I had that same feeling back before I did the 1pc DSS and 309 diff. After I actually felt connected. I was used to my gt500s having a 1pc and feeling solid.
I have experienced the 2nd gear drop to 1st if you stop in 2nd and start to go, but most people catch that and learn before making a post about it lol.

#11 ·
Glad you brought this up. YES!

2020 M6HC when I start off leaning on the throttle and letting out the clutch sometimes there is a delay in the throttle response and I need to push the clutch back in until the throttle catches up. PITA! Serv Mgr said I need to be more aggressive… I just learned to live with it.

Pedal Commander does what it says, changes proportions, but does not eliminate the delay.

I hope someone can tell us what is going on.

#18 ·
I get that whenever I stop (engine off) for a few min (like gas fill up) then restart. For the first one min, the throttle holds about 1/2sec after I let off the gas. If I shift normal, the engine revs slightly when I push in the clutch so for that first min I have to let off the gas 1/2 sec before pushing the clutch. I assumed the car is running open loop for that first min.

What the OP is talking about is the opposite, the delay in the throttle responding to pedal pressing, which I get occasionally and does not seem to be associated with any engine condition.

I'm not sure what can be done about the throttle holding but I sure would be nice if someone had a solution to the delay.

#20 ·
Does this have anything to do with the dreaded rev hang in A8 HC cars? I never had the "delay" that is being discussed in this thread but did experience a sort of "need to push the peddle to the floor harder and faster to really accelerate". The pedal commander eliminated that in my car but the "rev hang" when letting off the gas at very low speed persists I suspect due to the PCM not letting the TB slam the blade closed for emissions reasons.

#24 · (Edited)
Its been said, and I will Butcher this explanation im sure, its due to the A8 cars and emissions. as it relates to "in gear decel". evidently its goes or may go full rich and dump fuel and or increase Nox momentarily if you let off at higher rpm in gear decel mode. I'm told that can be tuned out when you "tune" the car. You wouldn't notice it unless at 15-25 MPH and over about 1500-2500 rpm(in manual mode of coarse) and let off the gas like in a parking lot or goosing it at low speed. It will pull down the rpms slowly. It was quite un nerving when I discovered it as there is a huge force commensurate with rpm making you move forward if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal. It wont do it in neutral but the rev limiter kicks in earlier like at about 4500rpm I think.

#25 ·
My 2021 Redeye does this. It's a strange feeling, and it only happens if I'm leaving from a stop at a normal pace. From a dead stop, it takes a second to get moving, almost like a really loose torque converter. If I give it any appreciable throttle, it's an instant smoke show.

Now I'm curious what the real reason is for that.

#27 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I am the OP on this, its same for me where its from a dead stop and its almost like its the throttle is configured this way such that you just light up the tires automatically ever time your accelerate from a stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.