SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an honest opinion on what I should do. I’m stuck between these two cars Charger Redeye and M5. Charger Hellcat has been my dream for years I finally can afford it and now I’m kinda leaning towards the M5. Reason for that is I feel like Hellcat’s are way to common now I like to be different. Got approved for the M5 which I didn’t think I would. $900 a month (M5) vs 1k+ (Hellcat Charger) most dealers been quoting me. Which car would you go with?? Pros and Cons? Try not to be bias honest feedback is much appreciated

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,139 Posts
If you have been dreaming about a Charger Hellcat then don't lean towards a BMW. Get the Charger.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
70 Posts
I’m looking at M5’s too. That $900 a month is based on how much down and how many years/mileage?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I might get flamed for this but the M5 will probably be faster on the street from a stop. Due to the all wheel drive.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might get flamed for this but the M5 will probably be faster on the street from a stop. Due to the all wheel drive.
I love Hellcat’s but I’m gonna agree, plus too end starts to pull on Hellcat. All the videos I’ve seen M5 takes it from dig, rolls top end it hangs with it. Modded obviously, just downpipes and tune

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
978 Posts
Auto only, it’s a ZF8
I'd go Charger Hellcat. I've had one and absolutely loved it. Went with a Challenger recently only because of the 6spd option. Obviously, I'm a little biased towards Dodge. I'm also a BMW guy as I've had a bunch of e34, e36's, and most recently daily an e39 m5. Yeah, I know those are old school platforms but the Charger Hellcat is a helluva sedan.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,048 Posts
I need an honest opinion on what I should do. I’m stuck between these two cars Charger Redeye and M5. Charger Hellcat has been my dream for years I finally can afford it and now I’m kinda leaning towards the M5. Reason for that is I feel like Hellcat’s are way to common now I like to be different. Got approved for the M5 which I didn’t think I would. $900 a month (M5) vs 1k+ (Hellcat Charger) most dealers been quoting me. Which car would you go with?? Pros and Cons? Try not to be bias honest feedback is much appreciated
Wrong forum! See what they suggest on the BMW forum. I’m sure they are a bunch of fun guys over there!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,795 Posts
Rather two different cars.

No BMW experience -- other than a family member owned a 328 some years ago and it was a nice car -- but I have owned other European cars: VW Golf TDi, 3 Porsche cars, and now a MINI JCW (technically a UK car) and they were or all better quality. The interior of my Porsche cars was so much nicer than the Hellcat's interior.

Kind of spoiled me frankly and the Hellcat interior is a bit of a letdown/disappointment really.

And I hate that damn uConnect interface BS in the Hellcat. A LCD touch screen in a car?

My MINI JCW came with iDrive and I recall when this first made an appearance and the early word was it was a lousy interface. I didn't keep up with BMW after that time and so when I first started using the iDrive I was afraid it was going to be bad. But it is an amazing interface and one I can operate with one hand and while driving and only having to give the screen a brief glance.

Just so it is clear I love the iDrive interface. If the M5 comes with this or something very much like it that two pluses in my book.

On the flip side, I have to admit I'm not a real fan of BMW cars. Oh they are nice enough and I could be tempted to own one but even so I'm not a real fan I'd probably take the M5 over the Hellcat.

Maybe the RE's faster, but so what? There's always a faster car. My Hellcat is faster than was my 996 Porsche Turbo but the Turbo was a heck of a car compared to the Hellcat. It put its 420hp down far better than the Hellcat puts down its 707hp. Sure, the Turbo cost (list price) nearly 2x as much as the Hellcat but it was more than 2x the car. (I bought my Turbo used, with less than 10K miles on it, and just 6 years old, for less than half the cost of the car when new.)

Best advice I can offer is test drive both cars and see which one you like the best.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
420 Posts
There's no charger redeye

M5 is the better overall car but will also blend in better... well you could say the same for a charger non-widebody hellcat.

Hellcat sounds better than m5
hellcat faster from roll than m5
m5 faster from dig
m5 has both rwd and awd hc is rwd
m5 has better tech
m5 is more luxurious
hellcat has more character
wb hellcat looks more aggressive than m5

m5 blends better and most people wouldn't know what an m5 is... they would think 5 series

Really depends on what you want, the hellcat is basically a faster more basic version of what the m5/e63 are... think e60 m5/e55 amg.

Also you can do better than 1k/mo for a wb charger..... $900 + taxes on an m5 puts you at $1kish.... wait a few weeks rumor has it that fca is gonna drop lease cash on the hellcats.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no charger redeye

M5 is the better overall car but will also blend in better... well you could say the same for a charger non-widebody hellcat.

Hellcat sounds better than m5
hellcat faster from roll than m5
m5 faster from dig
m5 has both rwd and awd hc is rwd
m5 has better tech
m5 is more luxurious
hellcat has more character
wb hellcat looks more aggressive than m5

m5 blends better and most people wouldn't know what an m5 is... they would think 5 series

Really depends on what you want, the hellcat is basically a faster more basic version of what the m5/e63 are... think e60 m5/e55 amg.

Also you can do better than 1k/mo for a wb charger..... $900 + taxes on an m5 puts you at $1kish.... wait a few weeks rumor has it that fca is gonna drop lease cash on the hellcats.
Yeah I know the charger Redeye isn’t actually announced yet but I think it’s coming soon. I would wait for that at this point. My M5 deal was 900 including tax. But it fell through anyway t had a stop sale recall on it. But I appreciate your breakdown that’s all I was really looking for to help make a decision but it looks like I’m be sticking to mopar for now. It will be my first Hellcat, first v8 for that matter.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
420 Posts
Yeah I know the charger Redeye isn’t actually announced yet but I think it’s coming soon. I would wait for that at this point. My M5 deal was 900 including tax. But it fell through anyway t had a stop sale recall on it. But I appreciate your breakdown that’s all I was really looking for to help make a decision but it looks like I’m be sticking to mopar for now. It will be my first Hellcat, first v8 for that matter.
If I were you I would pick up one of the charger wb deals coming soon because that redeye isn't going to lease well. We are into year 2 of the challenger redeye and they lease like crap... like $1200/mo + 2k down.

Don't be surprised to see widebodies in the high 6s low 7s this spring/summer, is the redeye worth almost double? Certainly not. Is the m5 worth double? certainly not. But is the m5 better than the redeye overall? that's a yes.

2021 m5 will be refreshed as well so expect more ponies, upgraded styling/tech and better performance. Wouldn't be surprised to see the refresh drop another 50 hp in the car dropping 0-60 in the mid to high 2s and the 1/4 mile into mid to high 10s consistently without radials.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hellcat unless you want to blend in.

I disagree with the point that standard body charger hellcats blend in. I get stopped at every gas station and restaurant that I go to and my car isn't even a high impact color.

I personally think you will have more fun in a hellcat but this is coming from a person who has never owned or driven a BMW. YMMV lol

Reactions: VARedeye

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I disagree with the point that standard body charger hellcats blend in. I get stopped at every gas station and restaurant that I go to and my car isn't even a high impact color.

I personally think you will have more fun in a hellcat but this is coming from a person who has never owned or driven a BMW. YMMV lol
Yeah I’m going with a Widebody Charger soon. Craig from Koons is doing a deal for me as we speak

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nice. Post up pics when it arrives

·
Registered
259 Posts
M5 seems pretty boring to me. Only fast large sized car that seems entertaining is the E63 AMG wagon just because it's a wagon. Both the AMG and M lineup outside of the M2 seem pretty boring to be honest.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
420 Posts
M5 seems pretty boring to me. Only fast large sized car that seems entertaining is the E63 AMG wagon just because it's a wagon. Both the AMG and M lineup outside of the M2 seem pretty boring to be honest.
m5 is nasty from a dig, run a tune and you are probably dropping 0-60 times in the 2.6-2.8 second range on street tires (that spanks the demon on the street), same for e63. It's just the turbochargers are awfully quiet with smaller displacement v8s. They blend in very well aka discreet power.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
420 Posts

depends on where you live, I live in a rich suburb and if the charger hc wasn't go mango with stripes it would blend in, here there are porsche, bentley, corvettes, even seen a demon or two running around.

Line up a standard body hellcat and a scat pack or rental sxt and 90% of people wouldn't notice the differences when in another car.

The wb though adds some character to the car.

Also the m5 is pretty much the future for the hellcat, curvier sedan with turbocharged smaller displacement v8 with a lighter chasis, awd with ability to go full rwd and comfortable. It might not look remotely the same but that's the direction fca will be pushing toward to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts