SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i recently got my hellcat from body shop after 7 months check engine light came on and the code is p0430 .Does anyone know what that code means. Nothing should be wrong with the car it only has 18k miles . I was planning to make a 5 hour trip to dallas . Should i not drive it there ?

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
One of your converters or a sensor is off. Take it to the dealer for free repair. Many of us have done that.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,078 Posts
So i recently got my hellcat from body shop after 7 months check engine light came on and the code is p0430 .Does anyone know what that code means. Nothing should be wrong with the car it only has 18k miles . I was planning to make a 5 hour trip to dallas . Should i not drive it there ?
P0430 means converter (bank #2 IIRC) not performing at an acceptable level.

Generally the SOP is to clear the codes and drive the car. If the code comes back and if there are any O2 sensor codes related to aging sensors to replace the sensors indicated by the error codes then clear the codes again and road test the car. If the P0430 (or P0420) code comes back replace the converter.

Bear in mind converters have an 8 year, 80K mile warranty.

If the car sat for 7 months at a body shop there is stale gasoline in the tank. What I did with a car -- a family member's car -- which sat for around 6 months was I drove the car enough and then added fresh fuel. The change in the engine's performance was rather dramatic. But even with 6+ month old gas in tank the CEL was dark, the engine started ok, idled ok, was just a bit of a dog. Fresh 91 transformed the engine.

Also, there is the concern having sat that long mice/rats might have been at the car's wiring. A careful inspection of the car's wiring could be called for looking for any rodent sign any sign of any gnawing on any wiring.

I had a car manifest at P0430 error code. In one case just to see what would happen I drove the car without clearing the code. The CEL eventually went out but it took some time. A good number of warm up cycles were required.

In my case I was not that far from help should the engine have manifested any issues. But a 5 hour drive... I'd probably want the issue diagnosed and dealt with before using the car for any long trips.

If you decide to drive the car you have to be aware if the engine begins to manifest any other signs of issues to err on the side of caution and get off the road and arrange for a tow to a suitable shop.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
Yea, well I did not clear one of those codes and continued to drive it. P0420 is the other side. The cat was plugged. Supercharger backed up, ate itself, showered metal fibers inside the engine.

Got the code again on the new setup. Took it to the dealer. The cat was melted and needed replaced. Oh! That happened one more time after that.

I gave you my simple advice that costs nothing.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
570 Posts
Holy crap! What are the chances of this happening twice?
Lots of damage...
Yea, well I did not clear one of those codes and continued to drive it. P0420 is the other side. The cat was plugged. Supercharger backed up, ate itself, showered metal fibers inside the engine.

Got the code again on the new setup. Took it to the dealer. The cat was melted and needed replaced. Oh! That happened one more time after that.

I gave you my simple advice that costs nothing.
Damn! What the heck caused the converters to plug up like that?? So much damage.
I wonder if a dealer would look for such a catastrophic cause to that code or just clear it...

·
Registered
'23 C8 3LT Convertible Z51
3,628 Posts
Lots of damage...

Damn! What the heck caused the converters to plug up like that?? So much damage.
I wonder if a dealer would look for such a catastrophic cause to that code or just clear it...
Not saying this happened here, but disabling cat cooling in the tune will cause this. Seen it a lot with the S550 Mustangs where people would turn that off in the tune, bake their cats red hot then kablooey.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,882 Posts
Lots of damage...

What several of us come up with is that the HO engine puts out more power and then heat. Some of us are running them on road courses (they represent that we can, just not in competition), that is where we are basically melting them. I had a real bad one and it caused catastrophic damage. Before that we had a hint. The first supercharger that failed did not take the engine down. Had it happen again after the new engine AND converters were in. All I’ll say is it won’t happen to me again.:giggle:

My car runs much cooler and efficient now.

·
Registered
2017 HC Challenger. no tune----yet.
532 Posts
What several of us come up with is that the HO engine puts out more power and then heat. Some of us are running them on road courses (they represent that we can, just not in competition), that is where we are basically melting them. I had a real bad one and it caused catastrophic damage. Before that we had a hint. The first supercharger that failed did not take the engine down. Had it happen again after the new engine AND converters were in. All I’ll say is it won’t happen to me again.:giggle:

My car runs much cooler and efficient now.
I love it and know exactly what you mean!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts