SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Does it miss or run rough for a little bit the first thing in the morning?

I replaced an engine about 2 years ago because the intercooler leaked coolant down the intake, when they tried to start the car in the morning, it hydro-locked and bent a rod. If I remember correctly, chrysler wanted me to pressure it up for a hour or 2, remove the spark plug and see if there is coolant on it, and bump the starter to see of any coolant comes out.

From what you have said, I'm 99% sure that you have a coolant leak from the intercooler into cylinder 7, causing your missfire.
Yeah as of now they said the issue was the blower that it was sucking the coolant tank dry. Getting it replaced but I also did mention to inspect the engine to see if coolant went into the cylinders because I don’t want to have to come back to fix that issue Down the road. Waiting to hear back from them about that issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Really?? They couldn’t just evacuate some fluid from the tank? Yes I would start getting Dodge involved right away. Sounds like they are just blowing you off. Do you have a different dealership nearby? Just the fact that the one time you went there and they said because the CEL wasn’t on they couldn’t check it would have made me run. The code doesn’t disappear. It’s still in the history. Run away...
Yeah I thought the same thing but at the end of the day because of their negligence now they have to replace the supercharger and hopefully nothing else got messed up because they will be having to replacing a lot more... like the saying goes, lazy people work double 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
936 Posts
Yeah as of now they said the issue was the blower that it was sucking the coolant tank dry.
That's what they told you? :unsure:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
239 Posts
Yeah as of now they said the issue was the blower that it was sucking the coolant tank dry. Getting it replaced but I also did mention to inspect the engine to see if coolant went into the cylinders because I don’t want to have to come back to fix that issue Down the road. Waiting to hear back from them about that issue
Yeah, same problem I had. Heat exchanger in the blower is leaking. Kind of a dumb way for them to say it (heat exchangers are on the boost side of the blower), but kind of true when the engine is under vacuum. They don't need to replace the whole blower, just that heat exchanger block. But what ever.... Good for you, a new blower. At least they diagnosed it quick enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, same problem I had. Heat exchanger in the blower is leaking. Kind of a dumb way for them to say it (heat exchangers are on the boost side of the blower), but kind of true when the engine is under vacuum. They don't need to replace the whole blower, just that heat exchanger block. But what ever.... Good for you, a new blower. At least they diagnosed it quick enough.
Yeah who knows maybe best case was just to replace the whole blower I just hope this whole virus thing doesn’t slow anything down from getting my car back

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Yes why 🤨
I think why Confused2 was asking for is the same thing I was thinking.
The supercharger intercooler in the charger unit is right above the intake runners, so the air goes through the supercharger then through the intercoolers and then into the heads and engine. So the intercoolers will have intake boost PSI around them, and i believe the intercooler system has a 5 PSI cap, so any coolant that leaks in would be under low boost or when the engine is off. When the coolant leaked in, it out only go into the intake runners and not into the supercharger, glad they are replacing the supercharger, just in case there was an issue with it. I hope you understand how i explained it.
Hope you get your car back quickly and can enjoy it again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think why Confused2 was asking for is the same thing I was thinking.
The supercharger intercooler in the charger unit is right above the intake runners, so the air goes through the supercharger then through the intercoolers and then into the heads and engine. So the intercoolers will have intake boost PSI around them, and i believe the intercooler system has a 5 PSI cap, so any coolant that leaks in would be under low boost or when the engine is off. When the coolant leaked in, it out only go into the intake runners and not into the supercharger, glad they are replacing the supercharger, just in case there was an issue with it. I hope you understand how i explained it.
Hope you get your car back quickly and can enjoy it again.
Well at this point all I can do is wait for them to replace the supercharger and hope no more issues because I was and still am completely clueless as to how in the hell the coolant kept disappearing after a week of driving back and forth to work and also getting misfires... thank you for the explanation though I’m glad I joined this forum so much to learn about these cars from y’all. Never had a supercharged car so I still got a lot to learn and a lot to experience 😓

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
I just checked, the supercharger coolant system uses a 18 PSI cap, the engine system uses a 21 PSI cap, so if the supercharge coolant system is under full PSI, it can leak into the intake charge and be burned in the combustion chamber. Here is a pic of the intercooler, they are like mini radiators, and if they leak, can leak into the cylinders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just checked, the supercharger coolant system uses a 18 PSI cap, the engine system uses a 21 PSI cap, so if the supercharge coolant system is under full PSI, it can leak into the intake charge and be burned in the combustion chamber. Here is a pic of the intercooler, they are like mini radiators, and if they leak, can leak into the cylinders.
View attachment 551948
So hypothetically speaking let’s say coolant did get into the cylinders, what’s the next move? I asked them to look into that and the guy told me they used some sort of scope to look into the cylinders and said everything looked fine. Once again is his word and all I can do is assume until I actually get my vehicle back. But if indeed coolant did get inside and I get my vehicle back with a new supercharger and all, what can happen if I continue driving it?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
936 Posts
So hypothetically speaking let’s say coolant did get into the cylinders, what’s the next move? I asked them to look into that and the guy told me they used some sort of scope to look into the cylinders and said everything looked fine. Once again is his word and all I can do is assume until I actually get my vehicle back. But if indeed coolant did get inside and I get my vehicle back with a new supercharger and all, what can happen if I continue driving it?
Well, you can compress air (or air/gas mixture) in a cylinder, but you can't compress water (or coolant). If enough coolant gets into one cylinder, you can damage pistons, bend rods or lift a head gasket at least. None of those are good....if after the blower and intercooler are replaced, everything sounds normal, oil pressure and engine temps look normal,,,then you're probably OK. But sticking a boroscope into a cylinder isn't going to tell you if a rod is slightly bent.

BTW, engine vacuum can suck coolant into the cylinders at idle or when cruising at part throttle. The only thing the blower "sucks" is air from the air filter and pumps that air through the the top of the intercooler (on each side) in the pic above.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
If you got any coolant into the engine, the only place for it to go is into the combustion chamber, and there it would be burned and expelled out the exhaust. There is very little room between the crankshaft counterweights and the piston, if you bent a rod, you will definitely hear the piston hitting the crankshaft. Since you are not having engine knocking noise, I would say you had a small coolant leak that only caused coolant loss and a random missfire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you got any coolant into the engine, the only place for it to go is into the combustion chamber, and there it would be burned and expelled out the exhaust. There is very little room between the crankshaft counterweights and the piston, if you bent a rod, you will definitely hear the piston hitting the crankshaft. Since you are not having engine knocking noise, I would say you had a small coolant leak that only caused coolant loss and a random missfire.
Yes definitely no engine knocking noises hopefully it was just a small leak like you say

21 - 34 of 34 Posts