SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new owner of a 2018 Charger Hellcat.

A few days after purchasing the vehicle, i remote started it only to find out that it wasn't on and remote start was disabled. I physically turned it on with the button and found a check engine light with code P050B. I owned an SRT charger before but i never had an issue with this code. I took it to the dealership. They checked throttle body, battery, reprogrammed PCM and was told everything should be fine now. i drove it for a week with the black key with no issues for a few days until i remote started one day with the red key. same thing happened again. I took it to the dealership and it has been sitting there for a few days now. i feel like the dealership is scratching their heads at this point. I was told that the gas tank could be contaminated or the intake is restricted. they will contact Chrysler for more details about the problem. the vehicle has only 9600 miles on it.

anyone else ran against this issue and was able to get it resolved?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,239 Posts
  • OBD II P050B
OBD-II Code Decreased engine performance is defined as a Cold Start Ignition Timing Performance
The engine's control module (PCM) does everything possible to help the catalytic converter warm up as quickly as possible in an effort to reduce emissions. Part of the control module's logic in the this process is to increase the amount of air flowing through the engine on startup and adjust the engine's timing accordingly. If the engine speed does not match the PCM's RPM request, the PCM will store code P050B
They just need to dig into it a little more, I'm sure they'll get the issue resolved.

·
Registered
2018 Demon
53 Posts
Interesting issue, intrigued to see what it ended up being. I have one issue with remote start but it ended up being my key and the car never threw a code

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
I almost want to say it sounds like an issue with the keys and the different tune they load.

I would say this... try the autostart with the black key and if works, try with the red key within 2-3 minutes.... see if it throws the code...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Indigo Blue with Graphics Package
1,239 Posts
Yeah, it makes no sense that it only happens with the red key. By the way, anytime you have a code the remote start will not work, it's a built in safety feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost want to say it sounds like an issue with the keys and the different tune they load.

I would say this... try the autostart with the black key and if works, try with the red key within 2-3 minutes.... see if it throws the code...
when does the car know which key fob you are using (red vs black)? is it when you remote start it or when you press the physical start button in the car?

So for example.. i remote start it with the red key but go inside the car and press the start button while carrying the black key. in this case which key will the car use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it makes no sense that it only happens with the red key. By the way, anytime you have a code the remote start will not work, it's a built in safety feature.
Yes. I would've probably ignored the check engine light if it was allowing me to remote start it. i could reset it, but something makes me worry about driving the vehicle when knowing that there is a check engine light on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts