SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. New here, just made my account, names Bruno and I'm 21 from Saugus Mass. Recently picked up a 2016 challenger hellcat 6mt in may. Got a question and I'm not sure if it's been asked here but when checking your oil. Which side do you go by for an accurate reading? The front side with the hashmarks or the rear side. Reason I ask is because I've noticed the rearward side would read lower then the other and I was always told to go by the side reading the lowest. So to be honestly I've been flipping the dipstick 180 (engine reading upside down) and checking it like that and adding oil accordingly seeing as its still braking in. But recently i read that it is normal for the rear side to read lower. So now im curious if ive been adding a bit of oil periodically (never more then a 100-150ml or so) when i really didnt need it. I know that may be a stupid first question but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
229 Posts
Hello everyone. New here, just made my account, names Bruno and I'm 21 from Saugus Mass. Recently picked up a 2016 challenger hellcat 6mt in may. Got a question and I'm not sure if it's been asked here but when checking your oil. Which side do you go by for an accurate reading? The front side with the hashmarks or the rear side. Reason I ask is because I've noticed the rearward side would read lower then the other and I was always told to go by the side reading the lowest. So to be honestly I've been flipping the dipstick 180 (engine reading upside down) and checking it like that and adding oil accordingly seeing as its still braking in. But recently i read that it is normal for the rear side to read lower. So now im curious if ive been adding a bit of oil periodically (never more then a 100-150ml or so) when i really didnt need it. I know that may be a stupid first question but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would say to insert the dipstick so that the dipstick is inserted with the writing not upside down, and then read the front side with the hashmarks and the area that indicated the SAFE region.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
.....hmmmm

How to respond...

....if you're adding oil based on the small differences between the front and back side of the dipstick, you're unnecessarily adding oil to your engine...

...even if the oil is at the bottom of the range, as long as it's there, it's still ok and does not need oil added. If it's at the very bottom, add a half a quart and call it good, if you're adding multiple half quarts within your break-in mileage, then you're burning a lot of oil...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More so just adding oil based on the low side. I know it doest have to be to the very top of the full mark either. Just where I like to keep it. Just curious to know if you go by the way the dip stick is said being hashmarks facing the front of the car or going by the low side which is the rearward side of the dipstick

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
So it's been said that I'm one anal MF'er, and to be honest, even I'm not that anal, average the two out, and either add or don't, depending on whether or not you feel it needs it.

I'm more concerned that you're adding oil more than once within your breakin period, I burned almost zero oil during mine, others have burned some, but not enough to add oil more than once...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just trying to figure out if I'm even reading the dipstick right. I could've been adding oil going off the low side when it didn't need it causing it to be overfill. I've never had to add more then maybe a tenth or eighth of a quart. Like I said just to bring it up to the top of the full line. But yes I am a little on the paranoid side lol better safe then sorry

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Ok, when are you checking? If you read the manual, there is a specific time to check it, if you're not doing it in a consistent fashion, then you're reading different levels anyway.

Too much oil can be as bad as well, put that level right in the middle...

From the manual:

"The best time to check the oil is 5 minutes after shutting off a fully warmed engine."

(And on a level surface...)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I do. And that what I'm thinking if ive just been over filling it accidentally to get the rearward side to read full. When realistically it's not supposed to and only the front side is that what I'm trying to find out

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
It's not spelled out anywhere and the difference between the front side and the back side is so slight that it shouldn't be a concern.

I do understand what you're asking, I just recently changed my oil and while I didn't have this question, what did come up for me was the new oil was so clean, it was difficult to read on the stick, so I had to look really closely at both sides to make an accurate assessment as to where it actually was. (My eyes aren't so great anymore...) So in doing that I checked it more than once and was looking at both sides. I averaged the two and called it good as they were both in the middle...

BTW, it was exactly 6 quarts, and that's with everything opened and drained for over an hour...

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
304 Posts
The times I checked mine I couldn't even tell, there was oil all over it so I called it good. Even wiping it clean and retesting didn't give a clear indication of a level. 100 years of technology and we still can't produce an easy to read dipstick when oil is fairly new/fresh. At least when the oil gets old, it gets easier to find a line.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand that the hashmarks is is the safe zone but I'd like to keep at at the top of that or close to as much as possible. Car comes with 6 quarts for a reason don't want to be beating on it with even half a quart less. Just me I guess. Just curious as to which way to interpret the dipstick do I go by the front side, the rear, or an average of the two? Although the difference may be slightly there still is one.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,101 Posts
r u f'in serious with this ? do you want us to tell u how to start it to?
It's a
I understand that the hashmarks is is the safe zone but I'd like to keep at at the top of that or close to as much as possible. Car comes with 6 quarts for a reason don't want to be beating on it with even half a quart less. Just me I guess. Just curious as to which way to interpret the dipstick do I go by the front side, the rear, or an average of the two? Although the difference may be slightly there still is one.
During break in my cat used a lot of oil. Now it hasn't moved in 2500 miles. During that time i waited until the high side was at the low end of the reading, added one quart and it read full. If that helps.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There is oil on both all I want to know is which side do I go by. The rear side reads lower while the front side reads it's full. I like to keep my oil full at all times but I'm unsure which is more accurate that's all I'm asking.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
Average the two, that's all I can say...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,409 Posts
Disregard the sarcastic smartass, please feel safe in asking any question that you need answered. There are no stupid questions here. That's what we are here for, a community of enthusiasts at many different levels of experience willing and able to share information.

The best answer if you want to be ultra precise is to average the two. But honestly, the difference in the pan will be negligible. So what I do is use the side with the hash marks and add just enough to get near the top of the hash marks. We don't want to add too much

1 - 20 of 45 Posts