SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ordered my hellcat early Feb. It has been in D1 status for several weeks and now the announcement challenger factories are shutting down for April due to the chip shortage. My dealer told me my car is not affected since it has already made D1 status. True/False? Is all challenger production literally shutting down or are they finishing up what is in the que?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
Yours hasn't made it past the "being a car on paper" stage yet, and even the ones on the assembly line apparently got stopped. Guess that's what happens when a plant shuts down. Everything stops.

Your dealer really should know better.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,491 Posts
So i ordered my hellcat early Feb. It has been in D1 status for several weeks and now the announcement challenger factories are shutting down for April due to the chip shortage. My dealer told me my car is not affected since it has already made D1 status. True/False? Is all challenger production literally shutting down or are they finishing up what is in the que?
False.

Plant is closed, nothing is being made. When work resumes your car will drop in and be built whenever it is scheduled....could be a week....could be 3 months.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
Not quite. Apparently the Gen 5 1500 and 2500/3500s (Mexico) are still being built. Plus some minivans and what not.
If you Google "Stellantis plant closures", for example, you should find the complete list.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,491 Posts
I believe I read Ford got hit too, this is a global multi-market problem, so although it sucks if you have a car ordered, take solace that there are many folks suffering in the pain of this issue

·
Registered
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
506 Posts
Ford and Toyota had shutdowns. Brampton will be closed for 3 weeks total, so. That basically means any vehicle currently being built there, or in line on paper to be built there will all be pushed out 3 weeks. Simple enough, it will affect everyone & every car. Not a big deal. Mine is sitting in trim at the moment, it was supposed to be shipped last Thursday. It's all good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
chip issues are only part of the problem--vendor issues for ALL manufacturers are behind delays--covid has created collateral damage across all industries and vendors--the manufacturers are adjusting and units will be coming soon.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
There is a worldwide tidal wave of cryptocurrency mining right now, and the chip fabs are cranking out as many GPU chips as they can. Profits are skyrocketing. A ten-dollar CPU for an engine can't compete against the same chip fab making 200 bucks from a GPU of about five times the die size.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,380 Posts
There is a worldwide tidal wave of cryptocurrency mining right now, and the chip fabs are cranking out as many GPU chips as they can. Profits are skyrocketing. A ten-dollar CPU for an engine can't compete against the same chip fab making 200 bucks from a GPU of about five times the die size.
Don't follow crypto currency but I thought that crypto currency mining frenzy had declined. I seem to recall reading one chip maker, Nvidia, did something to make is graphic processor chips less suitable for crypto currency mining and at the same time announced it was making processors geared towards crypto currency mining.

Also, not sure the processor used in car engine controller modules is all well suited for crypto mining. The processor is not that fast, and not nearly as powerful at GPU chips and while it probably has a hardware floating point unit this has little in the way of built in support for math operations used for crypto currency mining. Instead it has "tons" of I/O to receive and send signals from/to various devices.

Reports I have read indicate the chip shortage is a combination of chip fabs being shut down or operating at a much reduced level due to COVID combined with a general automobile sales forecast that had demand way down which proved to be the case initially but was temporary and demand has surged.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
but I thought that crypto currency mining frenzy had declined
So did I until I stumlbed on Nicehash again with my two 1080Ti's and Threadripper 32-core processor and started making 10-12 bucks a day.
Bitcoin just hit around 60 grand/coin lately, so there is a resurgence, and also a mining frenzy for Ethereum because it is supposedly going from proof-of-work (mining) to proof-of-stake (how much you actually own) value sometime this year, SUPPOSEDLY. ETH has gone up 33 percent in the last month or so.
Even my old S9 Antminers I brought out to heat up a room to dry off some clothes without beating them up in a dryer were making a couple bucks a day over the 4-5 bucks in electricity they were using.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,491 Posts
Getting worse and I don't think it will get better soon.

GM and Ford just announced a few hours ago they are halting production/closing plants for many more vehicles.

So we get folks back to work after this covid fiasco, now they are back out of work because of supply issues. 👎

Reactions: @hellcatt

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
625 Posts
Getting worse and I don't think it will get better soon.

GM and Ford just announced a few hours ago they are halting production/closing plants for many more vehicles.

So we get folks back to work after this covid fiasco, now they are back out of work because of supply issues. 👎
Hope this doesn't jeopardize the April 19 re-start date ?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
310 Posts
I called the Plant in Canada and spoke to someone there. They said the Plant is indeed shutdown and had no idea when it would open - they hinted soon. I hope the 19this accurate. My dealer says my Charger Redeye is 6 weeks away in D1 status -but he has no clue. I regret trading in my Hellcat last month. I should have kept it until the new car came in.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,491 Posts
I called the Plant in Canada and spoke to someone there. They said the Plant is indeed shutdown and had no idea when it would open - they hinted soon. I hope the 19this accurate. My dealer says my Charger Redeye is 6 weeks away in D1 status -but he has no clue. I regret trading in my Hellcat last month. I should have kept it until the new car came in.
Yes you should have, you NEVER give up your car until the next one is being handed over. (Excluding a private party sale)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
Not sure it's true, but when picking up a new car yesterday, the dealer said that the keys are (at least part of) the problem.
That would explain why we only get two these days.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,980 Posts
Two keys now? Didn't hear about that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
362 Posts
Yes you should have, you NEVER give up your car until the next one is being handed over. (Excluding a private party sale)
That’s not very good advice. If your offered an amazing trade deal you pawn that sucker off so in a month or two when your car arrives they can’t pull a market adjustment on you... If driving it brings you that much joy then it may not be worth it to you personally. We all have different reasons. I probably have more vehicles than I need, so freeing up a garage stall for a few months is actually a nice feeling haha

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
Two keys now? Didn't hear about that.
Can't remember for sure if I've read about it for Challengers and chargers, too, but apparently that's all you get with Durangos, Trackhawks, and TRXs these days.
Even my very early '20 built 'Hawk came without a black key.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
362 Posts
My 2018 Hawk only came with two red keys as well. When I traded my 15 charger Cat in the black key and one red key were dead as they had never been used...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts