SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Cleaning redeye air filter

7096 15
I use my redeye as daily driver. Best 11,000 miles ever driven. I asked the dealer on the oil change yesterday to change the air filter (want to keep high air flow). They said I have to clean it myself by taking it out and soaking in a solution. Does anyone have info on how to do this? Thx.
Reactions: SIXGUN
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,203 Posts
They are simply K&N filters us motorcycle guys have cleaned and oiled for decades now. The example above is good for cleaning, but that is a non-oiled filter. Just get the kit from K&N and follow the instructions; it’s easy.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,187 Posts
I use my redeye as daily driver. Best 11,000 miles ever driven. I asked the dealer on the oil change yesterday to change the air filter (want to keep high air flow). They said I have to clean it myself by taking it out and soaking in a solution. Does anyone have info on how to do this? Thx.
If this is the responsibility of the owner/driver ask the dealer where the instructions are in the owners manual on how to do this correctly. Or ask the service department print out the instructions which should also list Dodge approved cleaning solvents and if the filter element needs oiling after cleaning what filter oils are approved for use by Dodge.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,894 Posts
They are simply K&N filters us motorcycle guys have cleaned and oiled for decades now. The example above is good for cleaning, but that is a non-oiled filter. Just get the kit from K&N and follow the instructions; it’s easy.

OK, good to know.

Didn't see anything in the 2019 Owner's Manual.

This is from the Demon supplement..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,704 Posts
mine gets filthy full of small rocks and other debris i guess from the new hood? i bought a new one, i think it was like $125 shipped? still haven't cleaned the old one yet.

Reactions: dragrcr

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,203 Posts
OK, good to know.

Didn't see anything in the 2019 Owner's Manual.

This is from the Demon supplement..

I’ll bet the K&N kit for recharge and cleaning is cheaper than the Mopar stuff.;)

Yep, agree with the above I have both the Redeye filter and a Demon crate type and about 6000 miles total. They are not really “dirty” but the collection of bees, bugs and other debris is goofy. I am going to attempt to use air to just blow them out.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
122 Posts
I was told that the filters are not replaceable and are not meant for reuse. Full replacement every 25k i believe I read somewhere, someone will jump in though. Just hit 20k on my redeye and filter is pretty darn clean

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
9 Posts
Just cleaned mine. Bought K&N cleaning kit and followed included instructions. To remove I loosened the hose clamps and moved out of the way so I could access the 3 star headed screws easily. Took 2 applications of cleaning spray with rinsing. Takes a while to dry once cleaned so give yourself some time. Oiled it, let dry for about 30 minutes and reinstalled. Whole process takes about an hour depending on conditions.

In the meantime installed a K&N cabin air filter that is washable so we will see how that holds up. Will probably wash both filters on the same schedule.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
122 Posts
Because there's no oil on it to catch anything?

Its kinda weird, there is a little tiny bit of oil "maybe" on it, but when I ordered my brand new one, it definitely didn't feel like an oiled air filter. It seems super clean. As far as no oil, I honestly don't know, I melt metal and have very little feeling in my hands.

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
9,203 Posts
Its kinda weird, there is a little tiny bit of oil "maybe" on it, but when I ordered my brand new one, it definitely didn't feel like an oiled air filter. It seems super clean. As far as no oil, I honestly don't know, I melt metal and have very little feeling in my hands.
Does it look like this red Redeye filter? If so, it is oil and use the K&N stuff when you want to clean it.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
122 Posts
Good to know, that is exactly what I have! Well 2 of them now anyways

Reactions: DGatzby
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.