SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 max steel hellcat challenger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all so glad to finally join the forum! I just recently purchased my 2016 hellcat M6 with 20k miles on it. Drove it all the way back from Arizona to Missouri and had no issues with the clutch. Feels good when pressing the pedal has good pressure no bad vibration or noises. She pulled hard would roast them on dry pavement. I kicked it out multiple times on turns and straight aways even track mode. But the other night I went to do a donut for the first time and I put it in track mode looked at the TC light saying off and I thought I was good to go so I ripped 1st and she broke loose but as soon as I went side ways the rear wheels locked up on me and the motor bogged and my clutch slipped. I let out and shuffled through the TC settings going back to track again (not knowing at the time that this was the wrong drive mode and the TC was not fully off). Being ignorant I ripped 1st again broke loose and same thing but slipped my clutch good enough to smell it. Btw this was on wet pavement. The next day I took her out it was dry and clutch still grabs good and broke the tires loose so I think I could make do for a few months. Has this happened to anyone else???? Is it normal for track mode to react like this way when breaking tires loose from dead stop????

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,382 Posts
Not sure how track mode could affect the clutch.

Generally a clutch will not slip in the lower gears as the torque multiplication reduces the load on the clutch. There are exceptions. Like the video of the Corvette owner who decided to roast his car's rear tires and it turned out the billowing clouds of smoke from under the car was the clutch slipping. The rear tires were not turning.

'course, your car could be (another) exception.

A test of the clutch is to with the engine/transmission up to temperature on a road put the transmission in 4th gear (this is 1:1 in my 2020 Scat Pack) and at say 2K RPMs floor the gas pedal and hold as long as it is safe. This subjects the clutch to the most "load" as there is no intervening transmission gear set to multiply the torque.

If the clutch slips there is no reason to repeat the test but every reason to get the clutch taken care of. A slipping clutch can heat damage a flywheel -- overheat it and cause hard spots to develop -- which can lead to a less that smooth engaging clutch.

Or since you have good sign the clutch is slipping and in a lower gear time to book the car in for a new clutch.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
116 Posts
Hey y’all so glad to finally join the forum! I just recently purchased my 2016 hellcat M6 with 20k miles on it. Drove it all the way back from Arizona to Missouri and had no issues with the clutch. Feels good when pressing the pedal has good pressure no bad vibration or noises. She pulled hard would roast them on dry pavement. I kicked it out multiple times on turns and straight aways even track mode. But the other night I went to do a donut for the first time and I put it in track mode looked at the TC light saying off and I thought I was good to go so I ripped 1st and she broke loose but as soon as I went side ways the rear wheels locked up on me and the motor bogged and my clutch slipped. I let out and shuffled through the TC settings going back to track again (not knowing at the time that this was the wrong drive mode and the TC was not fully off). Being ignorant I ripped 1st again broke loose and same thing but slipped my clutch good enough to smell it. Btw this was on wet pavement. The next day I took her out it was dry and clutch still grabs good and broke the tires loose so I think I could make do for a few months. Has this happened to anyone else???? Is it normal for track mode to react like this way when breaking tires loose from dead stop????
you have to completely disable traction control if you're gonna attempt donuts. Your stability control is still active during track mode. You need to hold down the traction button for 5 seconds. You will here a chime and it'll say its off

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Generally a clutch will not slip in the lower gears as the torque multiplication reduces the load on the clutch. There are exceptions. Like the video of the Corvette owner who decided to roast his car's rear tires and it turned out the billowing clouds of smoke from under the car was the clutch slipping. The rear tires were not turning.

A test of the clutch is to with the engine/transmission up to temperature on a road put the transmission in 4th gear (this is 1:1 in my 2020 Scat Pack) and at say 2K RPMs floor the gas pedal and hold as long as it is safe. This subjects the clutch to the most "load" as there is no intervening transmission gear set to multiply the torque.

If the clutch slips there is no reason to repeat the test but every reason to get the clutch taken care of. A slipping clutch can heat damage a flywheel -- overheat it and cause hard spots to develop -- which can lead to a less that smooth engaging clutch.

Or since you have good sign the clutch is slipping and in a lower gear time to book the car in for a new clutch.

When the clutch was fully engaged which was a fraction of a second the motor bogged way down almost killed it both times so I think my clutch is not the problem. The smell was more than likely a combination of me feathering the clutch and the rear brakes trying to stop the wheel spin. I think just being a little uneducated on the drive modes and different settings led to me finding out the hard way. I’m thankful I did not brake anything. I appreciate your response you guys are so helpful!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have to completely disable traction control if you're gonna attempt donuts. Your stability control is still active during track mode. You need to hold down the traction button for 5 seconds. You will here a chime and it'll say its off
Just tried it and yes I see the difference now thank you!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Just FYI, doughnuts, especially long sustained ones, although fun, are hard as hell on the Diff friction plates. If when you change the diff fluid snd it has a silverish Sheen in it you’ll know where it’s from.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just FYI, doughnuts, especially long sustained ones, although fun, are hard as hell on the Diff friction plates. If when you change the diff fluid snd it has a silverish Sheen in it you’ll know where it’s from.
Ya I don’t plan to do that shit it’s unnecessary and nowhere near as satisfying as drifting. I just wanted to do a 180 or 360 without TC bogging my motor and applying the rear brakes. It literally stopped the whole car halfway through the 180. I was so embarrassed if you had seen me you would have thought it was my first rodeo..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
I thought that I read that TRACK mode is MORE restrictive than SPORT also; which is opposite of GM's.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,382 Posts
When the clutch was fully engaged which was a fraction of a second the motor bogged way down almost killed it both times so I think my clutch is not the problem. The smell was more than likely a combination of me feathering the clutch and the rear brakes trying to stop the wheel spin. I think just being a little uneducated on the drive modes and different settings led to me finding out the hard way. I’m thankful I did not brake anything. I appreciate your response you guys are so helpful!
It appears and other posts added some light to this subject the car's traction control system is the culprit in the car's behavior not the clutch.

Given how much tires cost I don't engage in that extreme driving behavior so I have no idea of what intrusion any safety/nanny system might have. While I have with my Hellcat and more recently my Scat Pack broken the rear tires loose so far there has been no need for any traction control/stability control involvement.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It appears and other posts added some light to this subject the car's traction control system is the culprit in the car's behavior not the clutch.

Given how much tires cost I don't engage in that extreme driving behavior so I have no idea of what intrusion any safety/nanny system might have. While I have with my Hellcat and more recently my Scat Pack broken the rear tires loose so far there has been no need for any traction control/stability control involvement.
Yes I do agree with you and when I put my hellcat in track mode is has no problem breaking the tires loose in the first three gears from a stop or rolling and it’ll kick the rear out a little bit and that is because the traction control is off but the stability control is not and that is why when I tried to swing the car sideways really quickly the stability control turned the traction control back on and applied the rear brakes heavily. I didn’t know this at the time but I do now! Thank you all for the advice I do appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts