SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Cold Air Intakes

27507 Views 109 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Himmelkat
I'm thinking about putting a cold air intake on my Hellcat. Believe me when I say, I'm more than
aware its not going to give any performance gains. So why? Its what we do!
Totally leaving out price I've narrowed it down to these three. I'm also trying not to factor
in "looks". Again, I'm fully aware of what, adding a CAI will moreso NOT do than gain, however,
I'm not going negate gains no matter how small...I'm just NOT expecting noticeable performance
I have my own pros/cons. They all have the larger size down to fit throttle body intake I like.
They all have smooth intake tubes opposed to the hellcat (even demon's) wrinkly bellows that have to
cause air turbulence reducing flow. They all have filters that are more surface area than stock.

I would like any input from thoughts to experiences with any of these.

1) JLT HELLCAT Cold Air Intake (2015-18 6.2L Charger/Challenger)

JLT HELLCAT Cold Air Intake (2015-18 6.2L Charger/Challenger) [CAI-HC-15] - $399.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

Pros: (just FYI 15-20 RWHP can be expected on a stock Hellcat, I know..don' say it,,,I know)
a) Very much like the Demons CAI
b) The tube is very smooth allowing less turbulence in flow
c) The tube goes from large down to throttle body, "funneling in air"
d) should bring out the super charger wine
cons:
a) It for the most part, has a sealed box around it but there are big gaps
b) the top is open, uses the hood as a seal
c) have to put a clear cover over the hood grill (the hellcats hole n hood)

2) Legmaker (not sure why I'm even considering this one, if it was only choice, I'd stay stock, but would like to hear
other opinions/experiences)

LMI Hellcat Air Intake

Pros: (FYI 18-22 rwhp increase over stock airbox, again I know..don' say it,,,I know))
a) NICE style clamps
d) Will really bring out the super charger wine, so I'm told
cons: (over all NOT seeing any advantage over JLT above, more like the JLT is an improved Legmaker)
a) It has NO box whatsoever, under that panel its just sitting in the HOT engine bay (next to HOT raidator overflow)
b) I know I said cost not a factor, but really? for just a tube n filter?
c) Uses just a plastic panel over the filter to shield water, this has to trap hot air

3) Afe Power Momentum GT (NOT the carbon fiber one)

aFe POWER 52-72204 Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System

Pros: (FYI 28 - 37 HP over stock odd says HP not rwhp, again I know..don' say it,,,I know))
a) I know I said looks not factored, but "I" really like its looks
d) NICE style clamps
e) Its a sealed system like stock, to me, its kind of a much improved stock CAI
f) Its filter looks bigger than the others.
cons:
a) I've heard, it throws error codes (the 2 sensors), not sure how true that is
b) Odd the Red is $31 cheaper than black, Red is 7% more flow than stock, black is 11%, red adds 28hp, black 37hp
I can't see any differences between the two (visually/design/shape wise)
c) Won't hear the super charger any better than stock CAI

Just typing this out, has helped. After typing, I've pretty much ruled out the LegMaker even though there are people
that say its the ONLY one they'd consider (have they seen JLT?). So I ask of you, unless you have some GREAT fact
about LegMaker I've totally over looked? Please .... ignore it.
I always was leaning, JLT, but now I am swaying over to the AFE Momentum. I've always wanted one of these, for sure
will have to not factor cost here, even for black or red (again, NOT the carbon fiber)

So? what do you all think?
Reactions: Mean Cat
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
A Van Down by the River
7,975 Posts
LMI is the most popular followed closely by Bwoody. JLT CAI is new but everyone that has one likes it.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know for hearing the supercharger, Legmaker is the best. and I do want that...BUT, not at the cost of sucking up HOT engine bay air....The leg maker and Bwoody are just pulling air that's right off the heat coils (ie block, radiator) so to speak. I just cant get over that. In fact, the JLT, even with its semi sealed container, which is pretty separating from engine air..even that to me..jus goes against my grain.
Seems to me, you could get the JLT, and just NOT install its casing, and you'd have a Legmaker...for less $

At first sight, that AFE momentum GT, seems perfect, but, I've heard lots of negative comments...however, nothing specific? the only one specific comment on AFE I'e heard is it throws error codes. Why all the hate on AFE (GT?)

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YesI see the AFE stage 2, but...seems to me that's basically same as the JLT?..with much poorer heat shielding....although that is a HUGH filter. As I asked in the reply to the other comment, just what exactly is the problem with AFE momentum GT ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,624 Posts
The AFE inside the box has been shown to lose HP sometimes. The box is too close to the filter so it won't flow as much. I had the Stage 2 AFE for a couple of years and thought it was good overall but switched to LMI this year since I like their design for air flow better.
If you're that concerned with engine bay heat and don't want supercharger sound then keep your stock airbox. It flows well and no aftermarket box is going to isolate against engine bay heat or water as well while keeping the heat extractor functional.

· Premium Member
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,607 Posts
I'm getting the JLT, cheaper & like you said they are all similar except for what I like is JLT moved the IAT sensor in to the box where it may block some of the engine bay heat, weather it makes a difference or not it could.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think what ’Im going to do is, get the JTL, and if it fits, use the huge AFE stage 2 filter, if not use the filter it comes with.
Then instead of covering the hood grill, with the clear plastic window IT comes with, have someone fabricate a small, attractive, hood scoop that has the ability to close if it rains or car wash.

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
You already have a cold air intake from factory. Everything else is a hot air intake.

R.K.
The factory box is not really a CAI either as you can see how the temps get way up there too. At least with a bigger tube & filter it allows more air across the IAT sensor & the temps come down much quicker when the car is moving. Nothing helps if your idling or in traffic. I think the JLT would do better when moving.

Reactions: Mcnabb311

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
I think what ’Im going to do is, get the JTL, and if it fits, use the huge AFE stage 2 filter, if not use the filter it comes with.
Then instead of covering the hood grill, with the clear plastic window IT comes with, have someone fabricate a small, attractive, hood scoop that has the ability to close if it rains or car wash.
The AFE filter will not fit the JLT bc it's oval & the JLT is round & I think their different size.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,812 Posts
The factory box is not really a CAI either as you can see how the temps get way up there too. At least with a bigger tube & filter it allows more air across the IAT sensor & the temps come down much quicker when the car is moving. Nothing helps if your idling or in traffic. I think the JLT would do better when moving.
Do you know what a cold air intake really is? It has nothing to do with the ambient temp but everything to do with the source of intake air. In the OEM case, all the air comes from the outside. All aftermarket intakes take air from the engine bay hence why they're not considered a cold air intake.

R.K.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
out stock intakes are not exactly “cold air”.... the headline source is, yes. Very Unlike the Scat pack, the lower source is NOT COLD.
the lower source on my Scat, i robbed the brake calipur duct, iits intake temp was usually 3 dev above ambient.
with the hellcat, iits 40+ above ambient, cause that Lower source pulls from where the super charger and oil get cooled.
I heard its also cause the temp sensor is further back. hmm? to make 40+ difference?
three of us spent hour googling the part numbers of the 2 sensors on the intake...still not sure which is temp
I totally agree the intakes with no box, no heat shielding? are pulling lava. I have one guy just pounding me to go legmaker
says iits been test proven , havent the ALL? sorry, legmaker? iits siting naked in hot air!
to me, the JLT, is like an improved legmaker,,,the tubes are very similar and iits not sealed, but has some heat shield.
if I can get a hood grill hood scoop fabricated, iIll use JTL, and block off the lower source that pulls supercharger heated air

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Do you know what a cold air intake really is? It has nothing to do with the ambient temp but everything to do with the source of intake air. In the OEM case, all the air comes from the outside. All aftermarket intakes take air from the engine bay hence why they're not considered a cold air intake.

R.K.
It has everything to do with ambient temp, & to keep engine bay heat out, the source of the intake air is going to be ambient temp air, & the JLT takes air in from the same places as the OEM case, if it seals to the hood then it is just as good with bigger box, tube & filter which can help lower the IAT's which is what you want for performance.

· Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
8,567 Posts
I think you really want to build your own and let us know how it works out:)

My husbands HC Top Cat runs Stock box no filter.

I have an LMI.
I track and Daily Drive my HC Charger!
Works out Awesome !

LMI was test proven by the mfger. Chris who owns a Hellcat waited to bring his CAI to market because he wanted to ensure it would provide a gain + enhance the Super charger sound many love to hear.
He provided all the R&D and T&T b4 he had it up for sale.
AFE first came out with their paperwork marketing no track testing and said you could have a 37 hp gain.

Today many members can tell you what brand they tested and give you info.
CAIs have changed to be more conducive for the way a Hellcat is built.

Linda:)

· Premium Member
3,607 Posts
JLT also did Dyno & track testing.
I'm going to do my own Dyno & track testing to see for sure one way or the other.

Good luck to you OP on your decision, sometimes it's just trial & error.

Reactions: Farm_use

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
R.K. YES I'm well aware of what a CAI intake "is" ....for certain is air from the outside (which may not be cold but cooler than the engine bay). "CAI" is just a label, as a quick name for it, instead of detailing out each time. I TOTALLY agree with you, about the naked filter sitting in LAVA air of the engine bay (ie a leg maker, with its large cover that even traps the hot air more (and yes I'm aware it acts as a pressure builder etc).
Let me preempt, ALL this by saying for the most part..."LEAVE IT ALONE", but I get bored, want to tinker, experiment. ALSO...even IF (BIG if) it added 50 HP (ha, a big noway)...but, if it did? 50/707 is a negligible 7% gain...nothing. more likely it will be a 7/707...less than 1% gain. I'm well aware of all of this.
My goal(s) in any of this, Fun, experimenting, tinkering, maybe stumbling onto "something" ....that's it. My expectation is only one. ..hearing the supercharger a bit more. Again, I realize that if that's all i want, yes Legmaker would do this, and even if sitting naked in lava air, did cause a loss, IT too would be a small % and negligible.
NOW, all that being said, what I do NOT want is a debate, battle of the wits etc like on some other forums that turn into bitter wars! Its for the fun of it all.
A little louder supercharger wine, WITHOUT experiencing any loss, and out on the skinny branches of hope,in a little gain.
Does this help clarify what it is I'm "looking to find" ?

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Linda, keep in mind, I'm not trying to be combative, ..you say the Legmaker has been mfktr tested. Haven't they ALL been certified, tested, proven, independent studied etc? I mean, who is going to make or sell something and either actually test it (or lie) ...or whatever. Bottom line, when they are promoting it they aren't going to say "Yeah,,,I think this may work, haven't tested out yet..yall let me know"! or who is going to say/admit "I tested mine and its ALMOST as good as the ABC brand" Its like a prison, everyone there is innocent. They all have their tests, graphs, dynos etc. Even an independent study, would be the results of THAT test on THAT car. I cant tell you HOW many times, I hear "oh I have an ABC part, and its THE best, everyone says so" (who is everyone ? LOL) then you may ask, have you every tried XYZ part? "oh no, I've only used ABC, they are THE best" (uh? if you've ONLY tried one....how do you know?)
I'm not saying this is the case here......but? Can you without a shadow of doubt, say that none of the above doesn't come into play ?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.