SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Ford has proven that fast off-road trucks are awesome. Dodge has proven that ridiculously powerful supercharged V8s are awesome. Combining the two would theoretically be even more awesome. The Ram Rebel TRX, which was unveiled at the Texas State Fair, proves that theory.

As you may have guessed from the intro, the Rebel TRX uses a supercharged V8. A version of the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 from the Hellcat twins (and, we suspect, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk). Because of some new calibrations to make the engine more suited for off-road driving, it doesn't make the full 707 horsepower of the Charger and Challenger. But the TRX engine still cranks out 575 horsepower, which is a full 125 more than the new SVT Raptor. That's enough to propel the mega-sized truck to 100 mph in its off road terrain mode.

Power is transferred through an 8-speed automatic transmission to all four wheels. At the back, the Rebel TRX has an electronic locking differential. The TRX also gets an updated version of the Ram's 4x4 Performance Control System featuring Normal, Wet/Snow, Off-road and - best of all - Baja modes. The latter mode is the one that will do triple digits through the desert.

Of course a sweet powertrain needs chassis and tire upgrades to round out the package, and the Rebel TRX has plenty of improvements. The standard Ram 1500 frame is unchanged, but bolted to it are custom front control arms, internal bypass shocks at each corner and new springs. The changes bring suspension travel to a full 13 inches all around. It also provides enough space to fit massive 37 x 13.5-inch tires. Ram also added six-piston calipers with 15-inch discs at the front and 14-inch discs at the back.

Finally, Ram gave all this heavy duty equipment a big, burly wrapper. The body is a full six-inches wider than the standard 1500 with large composite fenders to cover the aforementioned tires. The truck also has a vented and scooped hood based on the Ram HD. This was necessary to help cool the engine and provide vertical clearance for the superchager. A large sport bar was added to the back and has provisions for carrying a pair of spare tires, plus an LED light bar on top. The truck also has a big steel skid plate up front, and a sweet integrated side-exit exhaust behind the doors.

Inside, the truck gets plenty of leather, suede and carbon fiber. The front seats also have racing harnesses attached to a harness bar that spans the B-pillars. And Rebel TRX takes a page out of the Porscheplaybook with Nylon-door pulls instead of handles.

Now of course this isn't a true Raptor rival yet because it's just a one-off concept. But Ram did say that the company is looking at the market to see if a truck like this would be a good idea, as well as the intention to offer more off-road friendly vehicles. So Ram fans, if you really want this truck, you'd better make sureChrysler hears you. We would certainly love to see it reach production, and we already like the swagger of the TRX name. You know T-Rex, as in bigger and badder than a Raptor."

Source: Ram Rebel TRX concept is a Hellcat-powered Raptor-fighter

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Cool Truck... love the model name TRX... first thing I thought of was a T-Rex so the name fits and a good play on the Ford Raptor. It's not for me... but only because if showed up with that... the neighbors would throw me out of the neighborhood. A Hellcat and a T-Rex in one driveway... there would be no peace... Ooooh man! ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Even though this is just a concept truck, I wonder if the 575 HP rating is what we are going to see in the Grand Cherokee.

·
NYS President
9,004 Posts

"Ford has proven that fast off-road trucks are awesome. Dodge has proven that ridiculously powerful supercharged V8s are awesome. Combining the two would theoretically be even more awesome. The Ram Rebel TRX, which was unveiled at the Texas State Fair, proves that theory.

As you may have guessed from the intro, the Rebel TRX uses a supercharged V8. A version of the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 from the Hellcat twins (and, we suspect, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk). Because of some new calibrations to make the engine more suited for off-road driving, it doesn't make the full 707 horsepower of the Charger and Challenger. But the TRX engine still cranks out 575 horsepower, which is a full 125 more than the new SVT Raptor. That's enough to propel the mega-sized truck to 100 mph in its off road terrain mode.

Power is transferred through an 8-speed automatic transmission to all four wheels. At the back, the Rebel TRX has an electronic locking differential. The TRX also gets an updated version of the Ram's 4x4 Performance Control System featuring Normal, Wet/Snow, Off-road and - best of all - Baja modes. The latter mode is the one that will do triple digits through the desert.

Of course a sweet powertrain needs chassis and tire upgrades to round out the package, and the Rebel TRX has plenty of improvements. The standard Ram 1500 frame is unchanged, but bolted to it are custom front control arms, internal bypass shocks at each corner and new springs. The changes bring suspension travel to a full 13 inches all around. It also provides enough space to fit massive 37 x 13.5-inch tires. Ram also added six-piston calipers with 15-inch discs at the front and 14-inch discs at the back.

Finally, Ram gave all this heavy duty equipment a big, burly wrapper. The body is a full six-inches wider than the standard 1500 with large composite fenders to cover the aforementioned tires. The truck also has a vented and scooped hood based on the Ram HD. This was necessary to help cool the engine and provide vertical clearance for the superchager. A large sport bar was added to the back and has provisions for carrying a pair of spare tires, plus an LED light bar on top. The truck also has a big steel skid plate up front, and a sweet integrated side-exit exhaust behind the doors.

Inside, the truck gets plenty of leather, suede and carbon fiber. The front seats also have racing harnesses attached to a harness bar that spans the B-pillars. And Rebel TRX takes a page out of the Porscheplaybook with Nylon-door pulls instead of handles.

Now of course this isn't a true Raptor rival yet because it's just a one-off concept. But Ram did say that the company is looking at the market to see if a truck like this would be a good idea, as well as the intention to offer more off-road friendly vehicles. So Ram fans, if you really want this truck, you'd better make sureChrysler hears you. We would certainly love to see it reach production, and we already like the swagger of the TRX name. You know T-Rex, as in bigger and badder than a Raptor."

Source: Ram Rebel TRX concept is a Hellcat-powered Raptor-fighter

Wow. What an awesome truck. I love it. The color is great. Wonder what the price tag is on this truck? This is one of the best looking trucks I have seen and liked. Truly awesome

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I'd have to say this is a done deal truck build. Just way too much information being shared by FCA in the video for a teaser truck.
Wonder when the big announcement will happen. I say next 30 - 60 days or so a will be a release date for 2018 model available late next year early 2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to purchase a Dodge ram rebel TRX ASAP. I would like some info on it are you guys going to make this truck if you do what changes are you planning on making. I would suggest the only changes you guys make is making the inside door handles optional and move the jack out of the way so a dirt bike will fit in between the tires. I don't know if you guys notice but in the video the front diff on the truck was all over the place that is going to be a weak point it will break if it is not secured better

I also think you guys should add a Cummins motor and a hellcat motor to your power wagon line I don't understand why you guys didn't do that from the start you guys would have sold more power wagons then all the other 2500 models combined

I also think you should put a action cam in the rear view mirror and in the cab brake light that can be viewed edited and posted to youtube Facebook and other sites like that just think of the free advertising and word of mouth you would get out of it

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Like I said on the other thread about this beast ... I love everything about it except the giant RAM lettering on the tailgate. I could live with the one in the front grill, although I am not wild about it, but the 12 inch tall RAM in the tailgate is too, too much. Other than that, me likey a lot! If they indeed drop a Hellcat engine in it, I am going to be ordering one ASAP.

April

·
Banned
879 Posts
Are there any specs on stance width increase over the stock Ram 1500?
Do the shocks have external reservoirs? If not, I'm sure Fox will be in the aftermarket game.

Having owned a Raptor prior to trading it in on my Hellcat, that TRX has caught my attention.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was disappointed that the "TRX" isn't new to The Rams... Anyone know what it stands for?

I was really hoping they were trolling the Raptor by making it mean "T-Rex"

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I was disappointed that the "TRX" isn't new to The Rams... Anyone know what it stands for?

I was really hoping they were trolling the Raptor by making it mean "T-Rex"
T-Rex probably has copy rights and if they don't the truck ain't built yet send FCA your idea.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are there any specs on stance width increase over the stock Ram 1500?
Do the shocks have external reservoirs? If not, I'm sure Fox will be in the aftermarket game.

Having owned a Raptor prior to trading it in on my Hellcat, that TRX has caught my attention.
6" wider overall than a stock 1500, according to the press release. 2.5" King external resi's in the front, piggyback's in the rear.

Jesus, it's like FCA wants ALL my money. They just keep making things I have to have! I've absolutely no need for another pickup. As a matter of fact, my '08 is built eerily similar to this one, just on a 3/4 ton chassis with a diesel and a manual gearbox. But if they produce this thing, I will have one. One of my best friends and i have already been talking about it and we're both committed to walking into the dealer the day the order banks open to order one each. The only question will be which earth tones they make it available in (I'm hoping for Copper Brown from the 2015 Wrangler lineup, Commando Green from the 2013 Wrangler lineup, or a Desert Tan of some kind). Though I could easily be talked into Octane Red just like this pre-production model. That thing just drips capability and unapologetic Americanism!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Saw this beast at Texas state fair... got shooooed away before I was able to climb over the barrier to look at the interior

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Minus the brushed aluminum-looking (likely) plastic in the front "bull bar" area and lining the side pipes, that thing is perfection right out of the gates. I just can't stop starting at it. It's so well put together, I don't even mind that it has an automatic transmission.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts