SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
HOTM Winner
7,982 Posts
Lol...A whopping $6. GEICO quoted me for a HC at double of what I pay for my Viper. I think the SP was only like $20-30/month more. So that has been factoring into my decision of what I ultimately may do.
My insurance dropped 300 a year when I went from a totaled 16 HC to a new 19 HC.

·
Registered
229 Posts
2017 Challenger HC. 2,500 miles on it when purchased at Hendrick's in Charlotte. No issues with the super charger after putting another 10k miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone for the advice. It is much appreciated. The tip on insurance is a really good one. I've checked it out, and the hellcat is about 200 more annually than a scat pack, which isn't bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I’m in almost the same position as you , new scat WB or used cat. For me , this will be a daily driver so I’m going with a 2019 WB scat. If it was going to be a weekend car, it would be hellcat all day .

·
Registered
40 Posts
As other have stated, go with the hellcat. You won't be wishing you had more power and having to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade later. plus the 6.2 engine that is paired with the supercharger is more durable and able to handle the boost better than the 6.4 engines are.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would shop around and pick up a used Hellcat. I traded my 392 challenger in on a slightly used 17 hellcat challenger and there is no comparison in power. I have had run ins with several of the local 6.4/392 A8 powered cars and can easily pull on them at any speed and mine is just an M6.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What everyone else said up top......
The 392 or Scat pak RT are awesome cars.
Get the Hellcat hands down. Get a used 17 or 18 with super low miles then you still have some warranty left.
Or save up and put a down payment and get a new one.
Piece of advice..... shop around take your time get what you want and a great deal.
You will find one!
Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
It’s cheaper to go big right away. I went r/t srt and should be getting my hc this week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hc hands down. Just be patient. used ones with little to no miles can be found and still under warranty. I looked for months bf I found one that fit my criteria and it’s the most fun I’ve had with any of my cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

I am a new member to the forum. I currently own a 2013 Challenger R/T M6 that I purchased new and have been very pleased with the car. However, I've got the itch for the newer body style, more horsepower and the comforts/options the newer cars provide. This is not a daily driver for me, more like a fun weekend toy that would be used 1-2 times a month.

So here is my dilemma; I'm really struggling on which Challenger to upgrade to, a Scat Pack or a Hellcat. I've drove an M6 Scat Pack Shaker, and absolutely loved it, and I've rode in an auto and M6 hellcat as a passenger, and I have no complaints about them either, haha! I've got the budget to buy a new, fully loaded scat pack or a used HC.

To be honest, I'm terrified of the supercharger issues that I've been reading about and it seems like there is no fix in sight by FCA. I've seen some HC owners have as many as 4 superchargers replaced. As an engineer in the automotive industry, this is a scary thought for me. The appeal of 707 horsepower is very enticing, but I've always been very cautious with car purchases. Educate me on what I should look for if I do purchase a HC. Are there immediate red flags that scream, no, don't buy this? Most cars I see on the market range from only a couple of hundred miles to 40K miles. It's hard to imagine a 2016 model year car only having 50-500 miles on it but there are many out there. I wonder why that is? How many of you own a car that has had no issues with the supercharger? Do you have more than a few thousand miles on the car if so?

I apologize for all of the questions, but this is a major purchase for me and I want to have a clear understanding before I start shopping.

Get the Hellcat with < 20k miles and a few years left on the warranty, or factor in the cost of an extended warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get the Hellcat with < 20k miles and a few years left on the warranty, or factor in the cost of an extended warranty.

If you are the type that takes it easy - you SHOULD have no supercharger woes.

If you are the type that drives it like you stole it (AFTER you learn how to use all the power safely), and you have one of the few that might have issues, then this would be a great time to upgrade your supercharger anyway - MO POWER! :cool:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts