SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently considering a Hellcat Challenger Widebody, just not sure if I want to opt for the Redeye (about $10k more than the regular Hellcat).

Pros:
More power,
Owning the Top Dog/Distinguished

Cons:
Harder to put the power down?
$10k for +80HP and a different Badge?

I was wondering if the factory tires offer good traction for daily driving and putting the power down. I most likely won't drive it in the rain, and it does rain here a lot (Pittsburgh).

I do plan on daily driving it, but also taking it to the track for some fun as well. Is there a combination of tire/size that works best for the Widebody? Will a 315/35/20 fit and provide more grip? What is the largest size tire that can be fit on STOCK Widebody rims?

Looking to buy around April to have for the summer.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
572 Posts
Not at all worth it in my opinion. Pick up a leftover Hellcat for $10-15k offand never look back. If you were blind folded and sat in each car as a passenger, I can not imagine you could feel 90 HP once you eclipse 700. Just my opinion. If I were back in the market for a car today, I would do the Hellcat all over again.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,471 Posts
Would this be your first Hellcat?
After going form a 2015 SRT to a Hellcat, Ive been pondering it too. My take on it is this. If you currently have any year Hellcat, and dont have disposable income, then def not. The hit on the current car combined with how alike the two actually are, AND the price bump all point to no. When i went from my SRT to my Hellcat, i felt like i already owned it before. Was the exact same car, just more hp. Almost a let down because of it.
If you DO have the disposable income, or if this is your first Hellcat, then i say go for it.
In the end i decided to wait for an inevitable refresh before i make the jump again. If i do it all over again, i would like to feel like it’s somewhat of a bump up other than a few hp. Meaning for the extra $35-40k, i dont want basically the same car that i have now (interior, overall feel). Hp aside, to me they're too similar to chuck away that kind of coin.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
39 Posts
My story: Drag racing background and after the scat pack 1320 was introduced the wife and I decided to order one up to replace her 2007 Mustang GT 5 speed car albeit the 1320 would have a auto. Spent the last month deciding exactly how we would order it I kept thinking "What about a used 2016'ish Hellcat for about same money and not take that new car hit". After negotiating by net order price we went to the dealer to order our 1320 and 3 days prior they had put a immaculate 2016 11k mile 6 speed car on the floor they had originally sold new and took back in on trade. We drove it home after a bit of negotiating and could not be happier, for me I love the Challenger non-wide body look as I feel the add on flares ruin some of the original lines of the car and I am not by any means a corner carver. By any means I don't mean to offend any wide body guys they are a awesome looking car and definitely would still consider in the future these cars are soooo much fun!
Good Luck with your decision!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,157 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your eventual decision.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
263 Posts
For me, having just made the jump up to a new widebody hellcat, the difference for a redeye did not equate to the added cost of nearly $11k over base hellcat. A widebody hellcat Redeye bumps the price at or over $17k extra over base, plus the crazy ADMs being applied because its the latest & greatest.
That's a lot of dimes & quarters from the kids cookie jar!
talking only widebody here:
Widebody cat runs 0-60 in 3.5 VS widebody Redeye at 3.4. a difference of 1/10th or about 1 car length.
Widebody 1/4 mile in 10.9 VS widebody Redeye in 10.8 again a difference of 1 car length.
Widebody cat tops out at 197mph VS widebody Redeye at 203.
Top end speed is really where the added 80hp comes into play. I'll never be at any of these speeds most likely, 6 mph difference or not, as we do not live close to any tracks big enough for it to stretch out that much and that's insta-felony; loose the car, loose the drivers license, loose insurance & loose my freedom territory, on the street or highway, so 175, 195 or 205 matters not, really how often will anyone be at these speeds?
The wide cats are nearly identical in the real world street environment if you think about, track times, cornering G's, stopping distance, cool factor and other attributes laid bare, sorta show that there isnt that great of difference, in some cases, none at all.
Yes, one does get added features with the redeye package, but how often will I be using linelock? prob never.
I can also get these features, including after run cooling via the Tazer for less than $400. if they end up being must haves.
I love the redyes, in fact I love all challengers, but for many folks, my regular ol' self included, the minor performance jump doesnt justify the price jump.

The widebody package is a must however, my coming from a narrow body, I can atest that it drastically changes the car in several tremendous ways, none the least of is simply feeling 'planted"! It also reduces times a crossed the board. The looks are killer & fresh, so its easily enough to justify the added $6k.
Its how dodge should have made them all along is the common response from people who own/driven both versions.

As for the widebody 305 stock p-zero tires behind 707, 717 or 797 horses...traction is a relative term. Even in dry pavement, I can loose traction at will at most any speed with street (full) traction control on and a nudge of the right pedal.
The car seems to always be on the edge of breaking loose if you dont respect it and learn to judiciously apply the right pedal. 121hp Valet mode is the only mode that's actually "safe"..lol
315s fitting is no problem, plenty of room and rim. I'll be moving up to 325's on stock rear rims by summer and this can be done, also without issue but thats about it for an 11" wide wheel. This is all just MHO but I hope this helps you with your decision.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,994 Posts
Welcome and good luck deciding.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the extra 80 HP really only being useful for top end speed, which I don't plan on achieving very often if at all, because I don't know of a long enough track around my area to allow for that either. I'll most likely go with a regular Hellcat Widebody and save the extra money to put towards mods instead.

So, a 325/35/20 will fit on the stock rims all around, or just in the rear with no rubbing? Would a 305/40/20 fit?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
155 Posts
I could imagine the redeye additional power being more noticeable on a sticky drag radial as well.

I bought my 17' Hellcat A8 with 3100 miles including 7yr cert 100k mile warranty for $51k and was unable to justify the additional cost of the Redeye.
If I were buying new however, it'd likely be in the Redeye HC wide body.

Buying used I now have the extra $$ to get a new ND2 19' miata w/ m6 this summer Ive been longing for, as my fun "beater" car to replace my current daily beater :)

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum... If you have the money for a red-eye I would go for it... What an incredible machine... I would definitely track that car every week! Good luck and let is know how it goes.

Drive safe and have fun!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,469 Posts
Is the extra cost worth it or not.... depends. If you are going to keep street tires on it and just use it as a street car then... probably not. If you’re going to get serious about putting your power to the ground with 315/17’s at the rear.... then the Redeye is going to enough faster to walk on a stock HC every time. The real value in the Redeye to me is the Demon “parts”. The bigger SC and the forged internals. The cam and valve train. The torque converter and hardened drive train. When it comes time to mod (immediately for some) all those things need to be considered. I’m looking at the cost of a forged short block, cam and valve train ($7000+). A bigger supercharger ($6000+). Already spent thousands on axles and differential. With a Redeye..... all that stuff has been addressed. Modded Demons (blower only) are pushing 9.0 in the quarter at over 150 mph and will see eights in the future. As impressive as a 10.0 Demon is.... at the track that is a big ho-hum. You want to see jaws drop.... run a 8.90 in a modded Redeye. It’s coming. :eek:

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,202 Posts
the 11k more also includes the 3k auto. so if you are going to buy an auto "regular" hellcat it's really only 8k more. having said that to me it's not worth 8k.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
79 Posts
Welcome aboard from Colorado! Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,215 Posts
Marc already wrote most of what I was thinking. There is WAY MORE to the RE than 80hp... but if you're not going to use any of it, it probably isn't worth it to you.
If resale is something on your mind, I imagine the RE will depreciate at the same rate, but starting at a higher number.

If you're not going to miss the $11k, get the RE...
For anyone saying you won't notice the extra power, they are on the wrong forum. The 392 forum is looking for you guys. :eek::p:D

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
671 Posts
Is the extra cost worth it or not.... depends. If you are going to keep street tires on it and just use it as a street car then... probably not. If you’re going to get serious about putting your power to the ground with 315/17’s at the rear.... then the Redeye is going to enough faster to walk on a stock HC every time. The real value in the Redeye to me is the Demon “parts”. The bigger SC and the forged internals. The cam and valve train. The torque converter and hardened drive train. When it comes time to mod (immediately for some) all those things need to be considered. I’m looking at the cost of a forged short block, cam and valve train ($7000+). A bigger supercharger ($6000+). Already spent thousands on axles and differential. With a Redeye..... all that stuff has been addressed. Modded Demons (blower only) are pushing 9.0 in the quarter at over 150 mph and will see eights in the future. As impressive as a 10.0 Demon is.... at the track that is a big ho-hum. You want to see jaws drop.... run a 8.90 in a modded Redeye. It’s coming. :eek:
This is what did it for me. It's not just the "more power". Could have bought a regular HC spent a couple thousand on mods and had even more power.

Getting all of the upgraded, and more importantly, stronger parts is money so well spent especially if considering "modding" in the future.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,648 Posts
For me, having just made the jump up to a new widebody hellcat, the difference for a redeye did not equate to the added cost of nearly $11k over base hellcat. A widebody hellcat Redeye bumps the price at or over $17k extra over base, plus the crazy ADMs being applied because its the latest & greatest.
That's a lot of dimes & quarters from the kids cookie jar!
talking only widebody here:
Widebody cat runs 0-60 in 3.5 VS widebody Redeye at 3.4. a difference of 1/10th or about 1 car length.
Widebody 1/4 mile in 10.9 VS widebody Redeye in 10.8 again a difference of 1 car length.
Widebody cat tops out at 197mph VS widebody Redeye at 203.
Top end speed is really where the added 80hp comes into play. I'll never be at any of these speeds most likely, 6 mph difference or not, as we do not live close to any tracks big enough for it to stretch out that much and that's insta-felony; loose the car, loose the drivers license, loose insurance & loose my freedom territory, on the street or highway, so 175, 195 or 205 matters not, really how often will anyone be at these speeds?
The wide cats are nearly identical in the real world street environment if you think about, track times, cornering G's, stopping distance, cool factor and other attributes laid bare, sorta show that there isnt that great of difference, in some cases, none at all.
Yes, one does get added features with the redeye package, but how often will I be using linelock? prob never.
I can also get these features, including after run cooling via the Tazer for less than $400. if they end up being must haves.
I love the redyes, in fact I love all challengers, but for many folks, my regular ol' self included, the minor performance jump doesnt justify the price jump.

The widebody package is a must however, my coming from a narrow body, I can atest that it drastically changes the car in several tremendous ways, none the least of is simply feeling 'planted"! It also reduces times a crossed the board. The looks are killer & fresh, so its easily enough to justify the added $6k.
Its how dodge should have made them all along is the common response from people who own/driven both versions.

As for the widebody 305 stock p-zero tires behind 707, 717 or 797 horses...traction is a relative term. Even in dry pavement, I can loose traction at will at most any speed with street (full) traction control on and a nudge of the right pedal.
The car seems to always be on the edge of breaking loose if you dont respect it and learn to judiciously apply the right pedal. 121hp Valet mode is the only mode that's actually "safe"..lol
315s fitting is no problem, plenty of room and rim. I'll be moving up to 325's on stock rear rims by summer and this can be done, also without issue but thats about it for an 11" wide wheel. This is all just MHO but I hope this helps you with your decision.

There's more to the Redeye than the 80hp increase but I'm addressing the performance numbers you stated above as how the 80hp is only helpful on top speed. That is simply untrue. The factory numbers are just not that accurate truthfully. If given appropriate traction, the Redeye's extra 80hp is going to be considerably quicker than the standard Hellcat, not just to 60, but in the 1/8 and 1/4 too. Without traction, you would be correct that the extra 80hp would see little benefit other than having some fun from a roll.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts