SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
Are not a lot of cat drivers swapping on the Nitto DRs, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires for daily use on the street? I've ready nothing but negative comments about the stock rubber that comes on the "regular" HC redeyes.
Sure, but anyone who does is a borderline neanderthal. Monkey-see, monkey-do types in my opinion. The Pirrellis are bad. This doesn't mean one goes out and puts DRs on the car. A DR on the street typically has less grip than a performance focused street radial and it's a bit of a misconception that folks "think" they're doing fantastic on them, when in reality, they were likely trading up from a bad or worn tire into something new, where anything other than the old tire would have been better. They're great for 100mi or so, but as they pick up debris, the traction falls off pretty rapidly... not to mention that most have abysmal inclement weather and turning performance. If someone wants max street performance, you can't go wrong with a soft summer compound tire from Michelin, Conti, or even some more of the budget friendly ones like Firestone Indy 500s. I wouldn't put a set of Nitto tires on any car. I have never owned a set of Nittos that performed well. Their DRs have thin sidewalls and most cars can't launch well with them as a result. I race on M/Ts or Hoosiers. The Sport Cup 2 is a decent tire, as far as performance radials go. They're designed primarily for folks who want to drive to the track and not change tires. They're not the best drag tire, be it that they're designed for cornering. They are also have a very short tread life... 5,000-7,000mi on street use, and only 1-2 track days before they're toast. They're unidirectional specialty use tires and never were intended for permanent use on a street car.

In short on those PSC2 tires, if they work for someone, there's a much cheaper tire that will work better for street use. Bang for the buck, I used M/T Street Comp tires on my 1,000whp car and they did fantastic. I had a set of 325s on the rear that I paid a chunk for, but they rivaled the then Pilot Super Sports in grip and cost considerably less. Granted, I was also beadlocked and deflated to about 26psi on the street to accomplish that. I got about 14k out of them.

For our cars, a good summer tire in appropriate temperature is ideal for the street. On my piddly little 717hp NB Hellcat, I am having a blast on the PS4S All-Season 275/40/20. They hold WOT in 2nd and I can hard launch in 1st with a good bump start and care on the roll-on into WOT. I've even pulled a 4s 0-60 in the rain. They should also last for 30k miles. If they don't I get money back :)

Disclaimer: I'm not the world's best driver, but I've got a good bit of big power car experience. Driver mod matters, but also so does the sidewall height if you want traction. The taller the better.. which is why I don't get along with Nitto. Also, when not on the car at the track, my drag radials are pulled off, cleaned, degreased, and stored in tire bags. Getting road FOD on them is against my religion.

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,303 Posts
I do not want a moon roof. You right the technology group is useless on this build.

Thanks,
Robert
Agreed, tech package is useless on it but can make the difference on a one of one built, just throwing that out there

·
Registered
‘21 SRT SUPER STOCK
1,303 Posts
Agreed. Overpriced? Yes. But is it really worth the hassle of removing with fishing wire and trying not to scuff things up and installing a new one just to save a couple of hundred bucks? For some maybe but not me lol. Getting lazy in my old age I guess.
Agreed, it’s just money let them do it

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sure, but anyone who does is a borderline neanderthal. Monkey-see, monkey-do types in my opinion. The Pirrellis are bad. This doesn't mean one goes out and puts DRs on the car. A DR on the street typically has less grip than a performance focused street radial and it's a bit of a misconception that folks "think" they're doing fantastic on them, when in reality, they were likely trading up from a bad or worn tire into something new, where anything other than the old tire would have been better. They're great for 100mi or so, but as they pick up debris, the traction falls off pretty rapidly... not to mention that most have abysmal inclement weather and turning performance. If someone wants max street performance, you can't go wrong with a soft summer compound tire from Michelin, Conti, or even some more of the budget friendly ones like Firestone Indy 500s. I wouldn't put a set of Nitto tires on any car. I have never owned a set of Nittos that performed well. Their DRs have thin sidewalls and most cars can't launch well with them as a result. I race on M/Ts or Hoosiers. The Sport Cup 2 is a decent tire, as far as performance radials go. They're designed primarily for folks who want to drive to the track and not change tires. They're not the best drag tire, be it that they're designed for cornering. They are also have a very short tread life... 5,000-7,000mi on street use, and only 1-2 track days before they're toast. They're unidirectional specialty use tires and never were intended for permanent use on a street car.

In short on those PSC2 tires, if they work for someone, there's a much cheaper tire that will work better for street use. Bang for the buck, I used M/T Street Comp tires on my 1,000whp car and they did fantastic. I had a set of 325s on the rear that I paid a chunk for, but they rivaled the then Pilot Super Sports in grip and cost considerably less. Granted, I was also beadlocked and deflated to about 26psi on the street to accomplish that. I got about 14k out of them.

For our cars, a good summer tire in appropriate temperature is ideal for the street. On my piddly little 717hp NB Hellcat, I am having a blast on the PS4S All-Season 275/40/20. They hold WOT in 2nd and I can hard launch in 1st with a good bump start and care on the roll-on into WOT. I've even pulled a 4s 0-60 in the rain. They should also last for 30k miles. If they don't I get money back :)

Disclaimer: I'm not the world's best driver, but I've got a good bit of big power car experience. Driver mod matters, but also so does the sidewall height if you want traction. The taller the better.. which is why I don't get along with Nitto. Also, when not on the car at the track, my drag radials are pulled off, cleaned, degreased, and stored in tire bags. Getting road FOD on them is against my religion.
Flat out dry roads and not carving corners the SS tires work better.

They are not the best street tire and not the best road tire but saying they stick less than a average street tire in dry conditions is not true.

Just saying 1 vet to another.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
I'd take you up on that test. Respectfully disagree. Drag radials, on paper, are fantastic. But the instant they get dirty, they lose traction, bad. Street tires are harder and don't pick up road debris nearly as bad. FOD sticks to drag radials and accumulates. On the street, this is what produces irregular hits. Sometimes you hook, sometimes you don't. It's all dependent upon the road surface and whether or not they've been cleaned recently (or scuffed off in a burnout). Street tires are overall less grippy, but they should be fairly consistent. They handle irregular surfaces and poorly maintained surfaces much better.

A few years ago, I was driving through the neighborhood at about 35mph with a set of drag radials on a 55 gasser. I was going around a lazy corner where I ran through grass clippings from someone's lawnmower as I exited the turn. The car slipped out like I had hit black ice. Damn near crushed a mailbox.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I 90% agree especially with the Redeye stock tires being consistent. You can spin them at 60MPH or below on any surface.

I also agree you can pick up FOD but the benefit of the Nittos being bad ( Compared to running around on a Mickey) is they really do not retain what they pick up during normal driving unless your on a dirt road.

every day driver we would be on the same page. Cars and coffee and the strip a large portion of the people driving one are going to avoid irregular surfaces or dirt roads.

Bet that gasser was fun when not in the grass.

·
Registered
2021 Super Stock
660 Posts
Everything said is correct; but this is the way I see it:

initially I was very concerned about driving around with drag radials on all four corners and was looking into alternative tires.

In the end, I decided that a Dodge Super Stock and Demon are factory equipped with drag radials which is one of the identifying features of the Demon, and the main identifying feature of a Super Stock and I didn't want to alter it's menacing presentation so I wound up doing NOTHING !

For casual driving the car handles and brakes perfectly fine, in fact I can't tell the difference other than it rides much nicer than my previous Hellcat and Red Eye due to the softer and wider cross section of the tires.

Now having said that It was important for me to protect the paint from rock chips from these wide/soft tires which was accomplished with Xpell protective film and rock guards.

Additionally I was uncomfortable riding around on the soft tires without benefit of a proper spare, so I ordered a 18 X 4 spare wheel from Dodge and a T135/80/18 tire from the Tire Rack which fits nicely in the Subwoofer cavity by simply puling out the foam tray.

Anyway I love the looks of the car "as is" ---- and not changing it ! When the tires wear out I'll just buy new ones !! I don't drive the car in the rain so not a concern plus keep in mind these cars have stability control which can keep you safe.

There's no right or wrong, it's all good with whatever one decides to do ! --- just my 2 cents !!

·
Registered
In The Market
183 Posts
Everything said is correct; but this is the way I see it:

initially I was very concerned about driving around with drag radials on all four corners and was looking into alternative tires.

In the end, I decided that a Dodge Super Stock and Demon are factory equipped with drag radials which is one of the identifying features of the Demon, and the main identifying feature of a Super Stock and I didn't want to alter it's menacing presentation so I wound up doing NOTHING !

For casual driving the car handles and brakes perfectly fine, in fact I can't tell the difference other than it rides much nicer than my previous Hellcat and Red Eye due to the softer and wider cross section of the tires.

Now having said that It was important for me to protect the paint from rock chips from these wide/soft tires which was accomplished with Xpell protective film and rock guards.

Additionally I was uncomfortable riding around on the soft tires without benefit of a proper spare, so I ordered a 18 X 4 spare wheel from Dodge and a T135/80/18 tire from the Tire Rack which fits nicely in the Subwoofer cavity by simply puling out the foam tray.

Anyway I love the looks of the car "as is" ---- and not changing it ! When the tires wear out I'll just buy new ones !! I don't drive the car in the rain so not a concern plus keep in mind these cars have stability control which can keep you safe.

There's no right or wrong, it's all good with whatever one decides to do ! --- just my 2 cents !!
Is the spare wheel a replica of the 18X11 wheel or is it a standard spare? If it is a replica do you have the part number?

·
Registered
2021 Super Stock
660 Posts
Is the spare wheel a replica of the 18X11 wheel or is it a standard spare? If it is a replica do you have the part number?
It's a standard spare wheel 18 X 4 with a 26.5" X 4" tire ----- unfortunately any 18 X 11 wheel with a 28" tire will not fit in the trunk sub woofer cavity.

·
Registered
2021 Super Stock
660 Posts
Hmmm....I'd never thought about buying one of the Demon front runners for a spare!
Actually you definitely could use a Demon front runner as a spare, but, it just won't fit in the trunk cavity because I believe they're 28" tall and the cavity will only accept a 26.5" tire.

·
Registered
In The Market
183 Posts
It's a standard spare wheel 18 X 4 with a 26.5" X 4" tire ----- unfortunately any 18 X 11 wheel with a 28" tire will not fit in the trunk sub woofer cavity.
I was meaning was the 18X4 spare wheel you got a smaller replica of the 18X11 wheel or just a standard spare wheel. I was looking at Demon front skinnies for sale on ebay and when you said you got a spare wheel it made me wonder if they were actual Demon skinnies or a spare wheel kit being listed as a Demon wheel.

·
Registered
2021 Super Stock
660 Posts
I was meaning was the 18X4 spare wheel you got a smaller replica of the 18X11 wheel or just a standard spare wheel. I was looking at Demon front skinnies for sale on ebay and when you said you got a spare wheel it made me wonder if they were actual Demon skinnies or a spare wheel kit being listed as a Demon wheel.
Just a standard spare rim for a Challenger with 4 piston calipers.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
2021 Super Stock
Granite
Black interior
Performance spoiler
Alcantara/Nappa Leather Seat with Hellcat Logo
Uconnect 4C Nav with 8.4 display
Harmon Kardon audio with subwoofer
Plus package
Driver Convenience group
Technology group

Robert
How about red interior? Nice contrast. You can still get the better, grippy seats in lieu of the wrinklemaster leather. Don't get anything that slams the brakes on for you.

·
Registered
2021 Super Stock
660 Posts
How about red interior? Nice contrast. You can still get the better, grippy seats in lieu of the wrinklemaster leather. Don't get anything that slams the brakes on for you.
I believe you can only get a red interior with full Laguna leather?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,118 Posts
Bet that gasser was fun when not in the grass.
Oh it is :) It's a race car, not really suited for street use, although it is street legal. I take it to local car shows and to nostalgia drag events. It's got a Detroit locker rear end, so that's why it slipped off the road when it lost traction.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts