SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase new tires for my 2017 Challenger Hellcat with 6 speed manual. I’ve spent a lot of time going through many of the tire posting threads on the site. Thanks to all that posted threads about tires. I didn’t want to ask some questions that have already been answered and/or beat to death. I’m not a lazy person. LOL
I’m in an area that will require all season tires since these will be my daily drivers and I don’t want to damage a summer tire in cold weather. I don’t intend to do any racing or track events. The car is stock ride height with no suspension mods.
I currently have on the front the factory 5 spoke HR rims with the Pirelli PZERONERO all season 275/40 ZR20 (106Y) Treadware 400 Traction AA Temperature A tires. On the rear I have aftermarket PK Auto 5 spoke HR 20”rims 11” wide 21 MM offset with Michelin Pilot Super Sport K2 (which is I think close to the current P4S) 315/35 ZR20 Treadware 300 Traction AA Temperature A. The rears have a 3MM (1/8”) wheel spacer with plenty of clearance. I could probably take this spacer out without a problem.

I’ve narrowed my selection down to two brands that are all season and offer these sizes for front and back (no brand mixing required)

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season
front 275/40 ZR (106Y) XL Treadware 540 Traction AA Temperature A, Diameter 28.7” rear 315/35 ZR20 (110Y) XL Treadware 540 Traction AA Temperature A Diameter 28.7” Two front and two rear are at Tire Rack for $1,345.97 Not in stock.

Continental Extreme Contact Sport DWS 06 Plus All Season
front 275/40 ZR (106Y) XL Treadware 560 Traction A Temperature A, Diameter 28.7” rear 315/35 ZR20 (110Y) XL Treadware 560 Traction A Temperature A Diameter 28.7” Two front and two rear are at Tire Rack for $1,191.96 Rear in stock, fronts July 16.

Has anyone put the Continental Extreme Contact Sport DWS 06 Plus All Season 315/35 ZR20s on the PK Auto 11” rims on the rear? I had no problem with the Michelins. Chart shows Continental is 10.9” wide and Michelin is 11.3” wide.

The specs appear to be close enough between the Continentals and the Michelins.

I’m pretty sure there will be no problems with the Michelins.

Since the Continentals are easier to get with no backorders I’m leaning that way?

Can anybody provide any experience with these Continentals?

General comments on this comparison? Help is appreciated. All season tire brands I might have left out in these sizes to think about?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
19 Charger HellCat
116 Posts
pk auto told me not to run Conti's they run way larger in size. i love my michelins on their rims 20x 11" no spacer and 1/4" + with no mods

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,485 Posts
I've run the Conti DWS 06s on my 11" PK HR5s many times. Even with the 1/8" spacer they rub a little and I had to trim the liner. Otherwise no complaints.

I haven't tried any Michelins yet. Been meaning to try the PS4S sometime, but I need AS through three of the seasons here since the temps swing so much.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the DWS 06 Plus on my 6 speed Hellcat and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S on my BMW. They are pretty damn similar, I can’t tell a difference. Both are fantastic all season tires.

Continentals were on sale with a rebate when I bought them, same with the Michelins. I’m typically a die hard Michelin guy but this is my third set of Continentals and I’m very happy with the brand. You won’t be disappointed with either, id buy which one is on sale and whichever one you can get your hands one.

I’ve had the PS4S Summer tires on my Hellcat and love them too, just not going to work as an all season tire.

EDIT to add: I’m on stock 275/40 sizes.

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
2,984 Posts
I've had the Contis, the PS4S and the PS All Season 4 on my 2020 Hellcat. Out of all of them, I enjoyed the Michelin all season the most. Hands down, no comparison.

The Contis are a step up from the factory P Zeroes, but not much of one. I only had them on the car about 1,500 miles and I hydro planed dangerously close to running off the road in what was actually very shallow rain water. I ordered a set of Michelin PS4Ss to replace them. They were a fantastic replacement, but only lasted about 7,000mi before they needed replacing.

I ended up replacing them with the Michelin Pilot All Season 4s. Traction and handling performance are almost identical to the PS4S in all conditions except extreme race track conditions. The PS4S could hold almost 1G in a turn, sustainably. The All Seasons broke out around .92G or so. I could tell no difference in functional traction from a dig between the PS4S and the all season. The PS4S is a softer tire and should be more capable, but the reality of driving a 717hp car on the street means the car just doesn't care and will blow the tires off, regardless what you're driving. Thus, the actual traction difference between those two is very small.

The All Season is almost $80 per tire cheaper and they last many times longer. I put over 18,000mi on them and they only wore down 3 mils, suggesting I could get over 30,000 miles on a set. They're also the world's top rated rain tire. I can't comment on snow as we don't have that mythical stuff in Florida. But back to the Contis... In my opinion, the Conti Xtreme Contact tires are kind of at the top of the budget bin in terms of price vs. performance. They're decent, just lower performance and lower cost than the top tier performance tires. The matching set I had were sketchy in the rain. In comparison, I could cut a sub 4 second 0-60 in a full downpour with the Michelin AS tires and as I've mentioned here several times, the absolute best 0-60 I ever did in my Hellcat was at 40F in N. Alabama on an irregular rural road and they put down a 3.6s time. The best I ever got on the PS4S was a 3.7.

The cost breakdown kinda looked like this for me:

Prices are considering 4 tires, mounted and balanced, 275/40/20 size, daily driven

PS4S - $1,510. Lasted 7,000mi
PS4AS - $1,100. Driven 18,000mi, would have lasted 30-40k miles. Car, when sold, showed 8-9 32nds on tread. New, they had 12.

Thus, cost to replace the PS4S over 35k miles = $7,550
Cost to drive the PS4AS for 35k miles = $1,100 (or, at most $2,200)

The PS4S is the better overall tire. They'd be great for 'Cats that see under 5,000mi per year. They'll put you in the poor house if you keep buying them. The All Seasons, I can't stress this enough, are just as good anywhere that isn't a race track. In my opinion, there is no better tire on the planet for any car than the Michelin PS All Season 4. Sure, performance is only 9/10ths compared to the PS4S 10/10, but the cost is so much more economical, and when you factor that in, it's borderline silly not to pop on a set if the car is a regular driver.

I don't even believe in comparing them to the Conti. They're worlds apart in capability. In my opinion, if you're comparison shopping budget tires, the Conti and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are the two you should be looking at. The Indy 500s are dirt cheap (under $200 at a lot of tire stores) and they last a good 8-10k miles. Performance isn't the best, but it's comparable to the Conti.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
1,548 Posts
I've had both of these exact tires in 275/40/20 all the way around on my 392. (DWS06 & the AS4)

The Contis ride great, quiet, and are okay for grip.
The Michelins have a slightly stiffer ride, slightly heavier weight, but more grip....although they do cost more.

Fitment/look wise....the Michelins have a vertical sidewall/squared off shoulder look, versus the round shoulder on the Contis.

I'd go with the Michelins if you want grip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for the great descriptive replies to my questions on the Michelin vs. Continental tire purchase. I should have mentioned that the cost was really not a decision point. I just wanted the best All Season replacement tires.

I suspected that the Michelins would win, so now it's just a matter of finding them in stock.

Thanks again all!!!!!!!
Al

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks everybody for the great descriptive replies to my questions on the Michelin vs. Continental tire purchase. I should have mentioned that the cost was really not a decision point. I just wanted the best All Season replacement tires.

I suspected that the Michelins would win, so now it's just a matter of finding them in stock.

Thanks again all!!!!!!!
Al
I think you'll be genuinely surprised at just how good the tires are on the street, especially from a dig. For me, after I gave them their first test "hit," I had to get out and double check that they put all seasons on the car and not something like a PS4S or a Sport Cup 2.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The Michelin the PS4 is WAYYYYY better than the Conti's. Not even close in every single category. Dry grip, wet grip, corner grip..... Not even close imo!
About 3 million miles of reviews on Tire Rack show exactly how close they are, in every category, as well as the Continentals being the #1 rated tire in the category right now with the Michelins being #4 (the list below is sorted by rank in category.

I do agree with the other member that I think the Michelins are a better looking tire.

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know what the internet states but from my personal experience they are light years apart from each other when gripping from lower speeds and especially when in the corners where its a compete night and day difference.

The Conti's will last longer but thats about it and for most consumers thats #1 on their list.

Internet says the NT05r is a great tire. Its ******* garbage and not even in the same universe as the 555R2 and thats the same manufacture!

So I dont really pay much attention to what an AVERAGE customer thinks of a tire cause 95% of them who participate in the surverys just DD their shit and never really put their tire to the test.

About 3 million miles of reviews on Tire Rack show exactly how close they are, in every category, as well as the Continentals being the #1 rated tire in the category right now with the Michelins being #4 (the list below is sorted by rank in category.

I do agree with the other member that I think the Michelins are a better looking tire.

View attachment 597182
View attachment 597183
View attachment 597184

Reactions: Xylander

·
Registered
370 Posts
So I dont really pay much attention to what an AVERAGE customer thinks of a tire cause 95% of them who participate in the surverys just DD their shit and never really put their tire to the test.
Then read the next link I posted, which is what Tire Rack themselves said from their own testing.

Just putting the info out there, totally understand everyone will have varying opinions from their own experiences.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,787 Posts
The ps4s you get 7000 miles because they are doing their Job! Getting you traction. Anything over 400 treadrating might as well be ice skates on a hellcat. They’ll get you from point a to point b but don’t plan on mashing the throttle under 100mph and not doing a 360 or immediately going into a ditch. Pzeros AS I could spin those on my old 392 charger right up to 90mph. Just imagine a hellcat! To me it’s actually a safety issue having good tires.. plenty of videos with guys and pzero equipped hellcats losing control of their vehicles.
I've had the Contis, the PS4S and the PS All Season 4 on my 2020 Hellcat. Out of all of them, I enjoyed the Michelin all season the most. Hands down, no comparison.

The Contis are a step up from the factory P Zeroes, but not much of one. I only had them on the car about 1,500 miles and I hydro planed dangerously close to running off the road in what was actually very shallow rain water. I ordered a set of Michelin PS4Ss to replace them. They were a fantastic replacement, but only lasted about 7,000mi before they needed replacing.

I ended up replacing them with the Michelin Pilot All Season 4s. Traction and handling performance are almost identical to the PS4S in all conditions except extreme race track conditions. The PS4S could hold almost 1G in a turn, sustainably. The All Seasons broke out around .92G or so. I could tell no difference in functional traction from a dig between the PS4S and the all season. The PS4S is a softer tire and should be more capable, but the reality of driving a 717hp car on the street means the car just doesn't care and will blow the tires off, regardless what you're driving. Thus, the actual traction difference between those two is very small.

The All Season is almost $80 per tire cheaper and they last many times longer. I put over 18,000mi on them and they only wore down 3 mils, suggesting I could get over 30,000 miles on a set. They're also the world's top rated rain tire. I can't comment on snow as we don't have that mythical stuff in Florida. But back to the Contis... In my opinion, the Conti Xtreme Contact tires are kind of at the top of the budget bin in terms of price vs. performance. They're decent, just lower performance and lower cost than the top tier performance tires. The matching set I had were sketchy in the rain. In comparison, I could cut a sub 4 second 0-60 in a full downpour with the Michelin AS tires and as I've mentioned here several times, the absolute best 0-60 I ever did in my Hellcat was at 40F in N. Alabama on an irregular rural road and they put down a 3.6s time. The best I ever got on the PS4S was a 3.7.

The cost breakdown kinda looked like this for me:

Prices are considering 4 tires, mounted and balanced, 275/40/20 size, daily driven

PS4S - $1,510. Lasted 7,000mi
PS4AS - $1,100. Driven 18,000mi, would have lasted 30-40k miles. Car, when sold, showed 8-9 32nds on tread. New, they had 12.

Thus, cost to replace the PS4S over 35k miles = $7,550
Cost to drive the PS4AS for 35k miles = $1,100 (or, at most $2,200)

The PS4S is the better overall tire. They'd be great for 'Cats that see under 5,000mi per year. They'll put you in the poor house if you keep buying them. The All Seasons, I can't stress this enough, are just as good anywhere that isn't a race track. In my opinion, there is no better tire on the planet for any car than the Michelin PS All Season 4. Sure, performance is only 9/10ths compared to the PS4S 10/10, but the cost is so much more economical, and when you factor that in, it's borderline silly not to pop on a set if the car is a regular driver.

I don't even believe in comparing them to the Conti. They're worlds apart in capability. In my opinion, if you're comparison shopping budget tires, the Conti and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are the two you should be looking at. The Indy 500s are dirt cheap (under $200 at a lot of tire stores) and they last a good 8-10k miles. Performance isn't the best, but it's comparable to the Conti.

Reactions: GNBRETT

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,787 Posts
Honestly if you want to use 500+ treadrating tires you might as well drive an R/T and save yourself a boatload of cash.. I bet the R/T would still spin those tires from a roll as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,485 Posts
Those tire rack reviews are not done on 700+ HP cars. They're done with normal DD cars that couldn't even spin their tires in first gear on a puddle of oil.

I will have to try the Michelin PS AS 4 and see for myself how they compare to the DWS 06. I've used the DWS 06 several times and honestly am not impressed with their wet handling... as far as I can tell they have no wet handling--so the only reason I have them is to handle the wild temp swings my area sees--but I still avoid driving on anything wet because of them. Would be nice to find a tire that can actually grip somewhat in the wet also.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Those tire rack reviews are not done on 700+ HP cars. They're done with normal DD cars that couldn't even spin their tires in first gear on a puddle of oil.

I will have to try the Michelin PS AS 4 and see for myself how they compare to the DWS 06. I've used the DWS 06 several times and honestly am not impressed with their wet handling... as far as I can tell they have no wet handling--so the only reason I have them is to handle the wild temp swings my area sees--but I still avoid driving on anything wet because of them. Would be nice to find a tire that can actually grip somewhat in the wet also.
I bought the Michelin AS because I live in NW FL, which has a veritable monsoon season(s). It's not abnormal for us to get 10" of rain in a week down here. I used my Hellcat (and now the C8) as my primary daily, so rain or shine, it gets used. When I hydroplaned on the Contis, I was just going through a normal round-a-bout at around 25-30mph and it skipped off a fairly broad puddle and it almost smacked a tall curb. I went the next day and ordered the Michelins to give them a try. Best decision I ever made. Not only are they fantastic in the rain, they're fantastic in the rain during winter at 30-40F.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I know what the internet states but from my personal experience they are light years apart from each other when gripping from lower speeds and especially when in the corners where its a compete night and day difference.

The Conti's will last longer but thats about it and for most consumers thats #1 on their list.

Internet says the NT05r is a great tire. Its *** garbage and not even in the same universe as the 555R2 and thats the same manufacture!

Agree completely. The average driver doesn't rotate their tires either. When I see "average driver," I also assume average car: Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Honda Civic. In terms of the Camry, which I've driven quite a bit as that was my company car for a long time... you could probably wrap the rims in fly paper and get decent performance... because the car's performance potential is in the gutter to begin with.

Thus, tire reviews from average drivers with their average cars aren't judging the tires in the same way as we would. They don't have engines with enough power to over-power the tires. Their suspensions don't allow for precision handling. Thus, the tires on the car are likely never pushed to anywhere even close to their limits. In contrast, every time we accelerate from a red light, many of us are fully testing our tires with 650lb.ft of torque. That's why I tend to lump the PS4S and the all season together. On the street, neither tire is going to allow a driver to hammer foot the accelerator without spinning the tires. Both tires have high grip, traction, and braking ratings. The only real difference between the two is in their lateral grip and high load directional change characteristics... things you will only ever experience on a track course. The PS4S is the better tire for that, but the AS is very close, so on the street, you get more use out of it simply because they last for-ev-er.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts