SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can tune a redeye computer to accept an m6 trans, if i do all the mechanical conversion myself? And what should i expect to pay? 2020 Redeyes are super cheap right now! 2021 M6 is not available right now. But i do not know how to drive an automatic, it may be worth my while to convert it. If its possible.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,336 Posts
I don't have much to add as i have no idea but i am lost by this statement: But i do not know how to drive an automatic

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,252 Posts
Who can tune a redeye computer to accept an m6 trans, if i do all the mechanical conversion myself? And what should i expect to pay? 2020 Redeyes are super cheap right now! 2021 M6 is not available right now. But i do not know how to drive an automatic, it may be worth my while to convert it. If its possible.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,343 Posts
lame.... not even good trolling. that's like saying " i have shoes but don't know how to walk..."
Pretty sure he means he can but wont. C'mon people...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

Manual transmission would need a 3.70 or 3.90 gear, vs the 2.62 or 3.09 that comes in A8

Think driveshaft would be different as well, also you might want to research if the trans tunnel will work

Good luck with the conversion.

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: El-Gato

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
441 Posts
The first place to start would be contacting your top 2-3 favorite dodge hellcat tuners near you there are plenty to choose from. The people who actually do the work. Getting opinions from anonymous people online is fine but ultimately you’re gonna have to deal with somebody so get real opinions from the real tuners in the field. That’s what I would do.
Note : If step 1 finding a tuner person is too complicated for you, then I wouldn’t start this M6 conversion.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
262 Posts
I understand and sympathize with Imacattin. Autos are great for getting the best ET’s, driving in heavy traffic, trucks and buses. For normal driving, nothing beats the fun factor of a manual. Back in ’85 people kept asking why I got the 4+3 in my Vette when the auto was faster! Simply, yes, the auto is faster, but it’s an auto. When self-driving becomes available, are we going to be happy starting the car, telling it we want to go fast, and let it do its thing? Why are you pressing pedals and turning the wheel? The car is faster if you let it drive itself!

Sometimes I am glad that I’m old, things that I think are great fun are now sometimes looked at with incredulity.

And I know it is fun to mock those who you do not understand, but it is a sign of insecurity. It seems A8 owners mock and belittle M6 owners a lot more than the other way around. We are all on the same side here (I hope), let’s be happy we all have/get the trans we want. BTW: The only reason I bought a Challenger is because the Charger was auto only.

Please let us know if you pursue this project and let us know how it goes! Good luck!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,252 Posts
I understand and sympathize with Imacattin. Autos are great for getting the best ET’s, driving in heavy traffic, trucks and buses. For normal driving, nothing beats the fun factor of a manual. Back in ’85 people kept asking why I got the 4+3 in my Vette when the auto was faster! Simply, yes, the auto is faster, but it’s an auto. When self-driving becomes available, are we going to be happy starting the car, telling it we want to go fast, and let it do its thing? Why are you pressing pedals and turning the wheel? The car is faster if you let it drive itself!

Sometimes I am glad that I’m old, things that I think are great fun are now sometimes looked at with incredulity.

And I know it is fun to mock those who you do not understand, but it is a sign of insecurity. It seems A8 owners mock and belittle M6 owners a lot more than the other way around. We are all on the same side here (I hope), let’s be happy we all have/get the trans we want. BTW: The only reason I bought a Challenger is because the Charger was auto only.

Please let us know if you pursue this project and let us know how it goes! Good luck!
I dont think anyone is mocking anyone just confused by the statement that the OP doesn't know how to drive an automatic. I'm honestly amazed anyone is taking this seriously.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
262 Posts
Sometimes we try to make a joke and it doesn’t translate well into a forum, I understood Imacattin perfectly, I personally hate autos on most vehicles. Some of the reactions sounded like mocking, maybe the same problem, joke lost in the translation.

My point goes beyond this thread, I have encountered a few that imply that because the A8 is such a great trans, M6 is pointless, and I emphatically disagree. I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that the reason the RE was auto only was that the M6 would not handle the torque. I think it would be really great the RE offered a M6, and the Charger too!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
356 Posts

Agreed. The only reason we do not have a Redeye is because of the lack of a manual tranny. Sports cars with automatic tranny's are illogical to me, but to each his own.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,343 Posts
Back in ’85 people kept asking why I got the 4+3 in my Vette
Rightfully so. That 4+3 was a general nightmare. The Hellcat manual not so much lol.

Reactions: Rangerfan

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
262 Posts
I loved that 4+3! Drive around town in low range and use OD on the highway. When has there ever been a manual trans that would do an auto downshift by just stomping on it when you are on the highway? And 3rd OD was taller than 4th so the auto downshift was a bigger change than manually downshifting from 4th OD to 3rd OD. This is very valuable when you have a whopping 230hp!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,245 Posts
It is possible to convert a RE to a 6-speed. All it takes is money. And time. And money. Did I mention money?

BTW, I haven't paid much attention to the RE market but "cheap"? My local dealer has a RE listed for $98K. That's not cheap in my book.

A big stumbling block to this swap is the factory may not have a suitable 6-speed manual that is able to deal with the engine's power/torque. So you fit a 6-speed manual that can't stand up to the engine and blown manuals are in your future.

Besides the issue of an available/suitable 6-speed manual and the "tune" there is physically attaching the manual to the engine and to the car. For the car mounts to accept the A8 these may not be compatible with manual transmission mounts.

Often automatic vs. manual car wiring harnesses are different and this needs to be swapped out. Trouble is with no RE with a manual from the factory the wiring harness probably doesn't exist.

Even with the best swap/conversion in the world the swap pretty much nulls out any warranty on the new car and I would have to believe destroys any resale/trade in value the car would have if left alone.

If you are that serious my advice is search out someone who has gone this route before and learn what you can about the hows but also about the trade offs.

Or just accept that at least right now a RE with a manual is just not available. You can choose to wait and hope the factory changes its mind and releases a RE with a 6-speed or just accept the fact one does not always get what he wants and move on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts