SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with experience cutting or polishing, how is the OE clear that Dodge lays down? Does it tend to be soft, medium or hard?

Do we have a good thickness to it or is the clear pretty thin? I haven't come across information on how many layers Dodge does, or if they just treat the chassis the same as every other model that rolls off the line (which I'm expecting to be pretty poor).

I'm getting ready to jump into the polishing/cutting game and I'd like to know if I need to focus on more light/medium pads and compounds or look into some heavier ones.

Thanks for anyone out there that knows this information!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
125 Posts
It’s soft, I can not attest the thickness, but I have polished mine a few to 15 times.. still rolling.
I mainly use the chemical guys green or white pads with meguiars ultimate polish. I just got some VSS from chemical guys to try, but I keep reverting back to meguiars.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
524 Posts
I use the chemical guys cutting/polishing pads. The white one is the one for polishing. Orange is for cutting. I use these in conjunction with a porter cable orbital polisher and Meguires 105 and 205 polish/compounds. I recommend using the 205 one first (with orange cutting pad) to see if that's enough for correcting the scratches. If it doesn't remove all of the scratches then use the 105 first followed by the 205. After correcting the paint apply a good quality wax as a protectant. As always use the least aggressive approach first in terms of pads and cutting compounds. Do not use these on stripes or on surfaces with satin black finish like the spoiler, gas cap etc. or you risk damaging the satin finish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard a lot of good about the 105/205 combination. I'm going to love having to tape up my stripes and I don't think even a 3" pad will fit between the stripes which is going to suck.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
203 Posts
Everything depends on the severity of the paint condition. The paint on the challengers is moderately soft and easy to correct, in my experience. I have done a number of challengers/chargers. Need to get yourself a good orbital polisher...I prefer the porter cable 7424 and use both Lake Country foam pads as well as the Meguiars microfiber cutting and polishing pads, again based on the paint itself. Of course you start out with a car that is properly washed and then clayed to remove as much crap as possible. I have used a number of different compounds and polishes over the years. My go to for a good DIY paint correction is as follows: Use either Meguiars M100 pro compound or Griot's Fast Correcting cream with a yellow lake county foam pad or a Meguiars microfiber cutting pad. You don't have to apply tremendous pressure, set the machine on 4 or 5 and do a section at a time, going both vertically and horizontally on the surface. Wash your pad between sections. Second step is to use a high quality polish that has the ability to breakdown as you use it...I prefer the Sonax 4/6 polish. Set machine on 4 for this step. I use a Lake County Orange or white pad for this step. Same thing...section at time, wash pad between sections. A must here is to use high quality microfiber towels to remove the compounds, polishes and wax. Stay away from the bargain towels. I like some of the Adam's microfiber high density towels...(not the costco stuff). After you have polished, it is time to get your wax or sealant of choice...use a Red foam pad with your orbital polisher setting on number 2. You are just top coating, so there is minimal pressure. Meguiars also has a microfiber finishing pad which is good for wax. This will take a few hours, but I love doing it and it makes a huge difference in the paint reflection. I will be doing this on my new Widebody Redeye soon.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,092 Posts
I corrected/polished the '15 quite a bit. The '19 is much better. But, like people are saying, only use the pad/polish combo necessary to correct any lines or swirls. No need to over think it or use too much if not necessary. They always seem to come through just fine, good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts