SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey All,
Just started the modding of the kitty, and as always, safety and reliability is top of mind. My car is daily driven charger, so A8, about 27k miles on it. Getting a Ripa upper 2.79, pinning crank, bwoody heat exchanger (im in south florida), 1200cc FIC injectors, and a tune.
I want to look into a DS replacement, but dont want to lose the drivability through excessive vibration etc.
Does anyone have a 1pc driveshaft set up on their daily? How long have you had it? Whats your review? Brand choice?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,699 Posts
I've been using the QA1 carbon fiber driveshaft on mine for almost 3 years as a daily driver, no vibration issues. My wife's Charger Hellcat that we just recently traded had a Livernois (CCI) one piece aluminum driveshaft on hers, she ran that for almost 2 years without and vibration issues. Honestly, I would go with the Livernois (CCI) driveshaft if I were buying today. Nothing wrong with my QA1 but its pricey and I only bought it because at the time, no one had any aluminum driveshafts in stock so I bought what was available. I can't think of anyone having issues with the CCI driveshaft, but plenty have had issues with DSS driveshafts.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts
I have had a Driveshaft Shop AL 1 piece DS. I don't have any vibration. My husband John /@Top Cat (rip) had the DSS CF, but while he was alive alive he had his Hellcat at the track with [email protected] 3Xs a week. We were out together for R&D and T&T of parts and Tuning. @Top Cat had goals ...ultimately going for the 8's he wanted the CF for less weight.
But I did speak to Frank a while back and was asking him about the strength of and difference between CF and AL. I got AL because i do daily drive and I thought it would be stronger. Frank said actually the CF has a special coating on it and the CF is stronger.

The most important thing you will want once adding HP is a Search results
Because if the Diff breaks it can take out the DS CF or AL and or a Half shaft.
I have had the original installed since they came out and thankfully no more breaking of my Diff.

Linda :)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I have heard of many people shattering the DSS CF shafts when I was shopping one in the muatang world, so I went aluminum. Maybe the have enhanced their technology. Obviously you guys habe had more than enough experience on and off the track!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's worth it for a daily driver, you're only saving about 6 pounds but if you're building for a track/street car it may be worthwhile.
Whats not worth it, aluminum or carbon fiber? The current mods going in are in the original post. From others experience, should be somewhere in the 750-800 rwhp range. Looking for safety, could not care less about the weight lol

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts
My husband and I both on the same night had problems. It was cold 45 degrees. His CF spewed out the back and I broke a half shaft. It was the differentials fault because when it broke along went the rest.

My thoughts are still for Daily Driving is an AL DS. I dragrace and daily drive my Hellcat. And if you ever think of adding an exhaust I have the AWE Track Edition Exhaust for 15+ Charger 6.4 / 6.2 SC - Diamond Black Tips - 3015-33126
[email protected] was involved with the AWE engineers for manufacturing this so that it fits easily with an aftermarket DS and the Per4fance Race braces also no Tuning is necessary!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,418 Posts
Then there is me . Lol . I have had nothing but problems with all my 1 piece driveshafts. 5 different driveshafts from 3 different vendors on 2 different cars. I just went to a stock demon / redeye 2 piece driveshaft. I'm happy so far on the street . Track testing to come soon .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My husband and I both on the same night had problems. It was cold 45 degrees. His CF spewed out the back and I broke a half shaft. It was the differentials fault because when it broke along went the rest.

My thoughts are still for Daily Driving is an AL DS. I dragrace and daily drive my Hellcat. And if you ever think of adding an exhaust I have the AWE Track Edition Exhaust for 15+ Charger 6.4 / 6.2 SC - Diamond Black Tips - 3015-33126
[email protected] was involved with the AWE engineers for manufacturing this so that it fits easily with an aftermarket DS and the Per4fance Race braces also no Tuning is necessary!

Thanks Linda, I saw the review on your exhaust and it would great. I font think ill be changing it in the immediate future, I have a long wish list (like many of us) lol. For now, trying to take babysitters that won't cause a repeat purchase in the future.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then there is me . Lol . I have had nothing but problems with all my 1 piece driveshafts. 5 different driveshafts from 3 different vendors on 2 different cars. I just went to a stock demon / redeye 2 piece driveshaft. I'm happy so far on the street . Track testing to come soon .

Damn dude, you're smacking down some serious power though, im still in the.minor leagues hahaha. I do hope that you're situation gets handled though. Keep us posted, will definitely come in handy down the line

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the differential caused the driveshaft failure?
👍 to you Linda, I love seeing women involved in motorsports👍
Cmon man, some ball busting is expected with cars, dont get all sexist and set us back decades though...

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts
Thanks Linda, I saw the review on your exhaust and it would great. I font think ill be changing it in the immediate future, I have a long wish list (like many of us) lol. For now, trying to take babysitters that won't cause a repeat purchase in the future.
That is the best way to build a car then when you get something new it's like Christmas and that is once a year :)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha, yup! I started asking for Amazon and Visa gift cards instead of parts, didn't want to bankrupt my loved ones 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what the hell you're talking about, so appreciating women in motorsports is sexist?
I was busting your balls about specifying the female gender man hahaha, i guess you misread the tone

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts
So the differential caused the driveshaft failure?
👍 to you Linda, I love seeing women involved in motorsports👍
Well Thank you, my husband had always brought me along on all of his adventures, they just seemed to always be going faster. Started out with skiing then snowmobiling....etc. to Dragracing!

Yes if the Differential breaks it can take out the driveshaft or halfshaft.
This does not normally happen to an unmodified HC, but adding sticky tire is a mod ;)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Thank you, my husband had always brought me along on all of his adventures, they just seemed to always be going faster. Started out with skiing then snowmobiling....etc. to Dragracing!

Yes if the Differential breaks it can take out the driveshaft or halfshaft.
This does not normally happen to an unmodified HC, but adding sticky tire is a mod ;)

I've been trying (7yrs) to get my wife on the same page, she's starting to come around now that the kids are also into it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,418 Posts
Damn dude, you're smacking down some serious power though, im still in the.minor leagues hahaha. I do hope that you're situation gets handled though. Keep us posted, will definitely come in handy down the line
The funny part is I don't think I'm making that much power as I have been only running pump gas . But I will list what happened to each shaft .

1st - didn't fit right . Took 3 tries sending it back and forth to get it to fit right . Then it broke. It was early in the 1 piece days (CF)

2nd the carbon fiber bonding let go at the dif yoke

3rd vibrated badly (AL)

4th broke adaptor (AL)

5th vibrated after 120 mph but seemed to be getting progressively worse . (AL)

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts
I've been trying (7yrs) to get my wife on the same page, she's starting to come around now that the kids are also into it
My husband bated me with and then bought me a 2010 Furious Fuchsia Challenger. I did not know I was going dragracing, until he sent it away to be Tuned and Modified.
He had it built with an AL 440 Hemi Topped with a KB 3.6 a built Trans, added suspension, 9 inch rear and other supporting mods and safety equipment. He built this was for me to run a 10.00. there were bets going on ( I of course did not know about) people saying nobody who never dragraced before could run a 10.0.
It took me 10 tries which made my husband very Happy. We had so much fun together with racing our Hellcats. They pretty much are track ready and there are a lot of ladies racing Hellcats!

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,120 Posts

This was the night my husband's "Top Cat" Challenger spewed out the CF DS. But the Diff was broken.
Right after that clean up I went down the track the Diff broke and took along the Half shaft.
The outside temp was 45 and making the track cold. You never race on a track that the temp is below 50 degrees.
Other types of cars broke too. They joked and gave me the award of making it to the 300 mark, furthest before breaking. LOL

When my husband saw the video and laughed at the crowd of people saying he thought they enjoyed seeing that.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My husband bated me with and then bought me a 2010 Furious Fuchsia Challenger. I did not know I was going dragracing, until he sent it away to be Tuned and Modified.
He had it built with an AL 440 Hemi Topped with a KB 3.6 a built Trans, added suspension, 9 inch rear and other supporting mods and safety equipment. He built this was for me to run a 10.00. there were bets going on ( I of course did not know about) people saying nobody who never dragraced before could run a 10.0.
It took me 10 tries which made my husband very Happy. We had so much fun together with racing our Hellcats. They pretty much are track ready and there are a lot of ladies racing Hellcats!

This is awesome!!!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This was the night my husband's "Top Cat" Challenger spewed out the CF DS. But the Diff was broken.
Right after that clean up I went down the track the Diff broke and took along the Half shaft.
The outside temp was 45 and making the track cold. You never race on a track that the temp is below 50 degrees.
Other types of cars broke too. They joked and gave me the award of making it to the 300 mark, furthest before breaking. LOL

When my husband saw the video and laughed at the crowd of people saying he thought they enjoyed seeing that.
I've snapped an axle at the track, and never want to feel that bad again lol

1 - 20 of 94 Posts