SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
You're going to have to make a decision on how important it is to be able to remove it from the car and use it for other things. If you really only want a dash cam (something that only has power when it's plugged in, records in a loop, and is intended to be stuck to a windshield), you can have them for much cheaper than a gopro. I purchased this one for about $80, for my truck: Amazon.com Spy Tec A118 Full 1080P HD Video Car Dashboard Camera - Novatek NT96650 Chipset Aptina AR0330 Lens Stealth Dashboard Covert Mini Cam 170 Super Wide Angle 6G Lens B40 G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection Electronics

The video quality is excellent, and it fits well at the top of the windshield. It records when the vehicle is on, and stops when you shut it off (a few seconds after you shut it off).

However, that camera is not really usable for anything other than its intended use of a dash cam. I have a gopro that I use for other things, and it has almost unlimited uses. But honestly, I think it would be a major pain to use a gopro as a dash cam for anything more than some laps on a track. It's big, bulky, and I'm not sure if you can program it to automatically turn on/off with power. I purchased the dash cam to protect myself in the event of an accident. I wanted it running all the time, when the vehicle was started. It could definitely be used to document fun at the track, etc. The video quality is not as good as a gopro hero4, but it's still very good, and plenty good enough for youtube. I intend to buy another one of those dash cams when my hellcat gets here next week.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
351 Posts
i second the RoadHawk HD , it has GPS that imprints your speed and map location into the file.. file plays on all PCs without the roadhawk software (just wont see speed and location without software), it has G force activation that prevents that video loop from being rewritten, event buttom to hit for same results.. you can call out a plate and hit the button to save it.. see wildlife-hit the button.. has fully adjustable settings for everything.. mic volume, speaker volume, loop length, g force setting, record resolution, etc etc etc the audio recording isnt great but thats not what its made for... its a black box that can be used to prove your innocence

turn your player to HD in settings when viewing
FWIW, the cheap A118 that I linked to earlier in the thread has all of those features as well. Not saying it's a better camera, but I wanted to make sure that apples were being compared to apples. I think the biggest thing the A118 lacks is wifi.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.