SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The dealer here in California which I ordered my 23 charger wbrejb just told me now they are doing 20k mark ups on the allocations they have left.

Apparently they didn’t realize how little allocations they were getting when I placed my order (I was the first one to order and I did it immediately upon dodge releasing the list), so now, all available allocations are 20k ADM as they finally realized how many people want these cars and how there will be such a small Amount available.

I’ve been reassured that my order is price protected and I have it in writing multiple times via text messages, emails and on the Order sheet itself. Time will tell how that goes, but just another example of the money grab by dealers who have prided themselves on being msrp dealers in the past

· Registered
2021 White Knuckle Charger Hellcat
114 Posts
My dealer is all over the road. Prided themselves on never charging ADM on new units across the board, whether it be Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. Had my name on their list for the 23's and contacted my salesman when the order went live. Has to check and get back with me...fine. Now the sales manager calls me back that same day..."We're only getting 4 NB, 4 WB, and 1 REWB. We've had a meeting with the owners and we are going to be adding a markup, but it won't be over $10k. What would you be willing to pay?" Told him to eat sh**...I qualify for Affiliate pricing and the fact that I'm paying MSRP is quite enough. Have a 21 Charger Hellcat now and only reason I want a 23 is to go back to a Challenger and get Plum Crazy. After that...silence. Two days later I text the salesman "I have gotten 2 offers from out of state for MSRP...thanks for your time." He immediately texts back with...we've decided to sell at MSRP to local buyers and we'll only charge markup to non-local buyers...come build your car. Fine. So I go in to build car...sales manager comes in after I'm done and says "we'll need a substantial down payment and we'll need to get credit approval before we place the order." M'fer I just bought a Charger from you less than a month ago for almost $90k, you know my credit! And now my order just hangs in limbo because I think they're waiting for idiots who are willing to pay ADM to take the orders, even though I've already put a deposit down. Way to go Dodge.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
I don’t get the local buyers thing vs non local. Heard several dealers say this and it makes no sense to me. A buyer is a buyer. Taxes go to the state not the dealer so it doesn’t make sense to me why they do that
Not true. They are hoping to build loyalty so that the customer buys their next daily driver and then a new car for the wife from them. An out of state buyer is not going to do that. Plus they want the future service business. It's smart business.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not true. They are hoping to build loyalty so that the customer buys their next daily driver and then a new car for the wife from them. An out of state buyer is not going to do that. Plus they want the future service business. It's smart business.
I whole heartedly disagree. I’ll fly across the country to deal with a dealership that gives me msrp and treats me right rather than drive down the street to deal with a shit dealer who acts as if they are doing me a favor by allowing me to spend 100k on a car. Half the time you don’t even have to actually even travel out of state, can do everything online and have them deliver the car to your door.

imo if someone is willing to travel once for good service/good price, they’re willing to do it again for another vehicle purchase.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
I whole heartedly disagree. I’ll fly across the country to deal with a dealership that gives me msrp and treats me right rather than drive down the street to deal with a shit dealer who acts as if they are doing me a favor by allowing me to spend 100k on a car. Half the time you don’t even have to actually even travel out of state, can do everything online and have them deliver the car to your door.

imo if someone is willing to travel once for good service/good price, they’re willing to do it again for another vehicle purchase.
Well, that's their logic, whether you agree with it or not.

· Registered
2021 White Knuckle Charger Hellcat
114 Posts
They say they are doing it this way to stop the a-holes who order 6 cars from 6 dealers but only take delivery of 1. They don't want some other person's name and options on your window sticker. Which I'm totally fine with because screw those clowns.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,225 Posts
My take away from the dealers -- sales and service -- departments with which I have had some experience with is no way a sale is going to be denied because the prospective customer is from out of the area/out of the state and might not get the car serviced at the dealer. A sale is a sale.

If a salesman said something to that effect it is just sales speak. Remember: Anything a car salesman says is intended to 1) Get you to buy the vehicle as soon as possible; and 2) Pay as much for it as possible.

In this specific case it is just the salesman trying to get you an out of area buyer to bid against a phantom "local buyer".

Likewise the service department is not going to balk at servicing/working on a vehicle because it was not purchased at the dealer. A live customer at the service department entrance is welcome regardless where the vehicle was purchased.

· Premium Member
15 TorRed Challenger Ordered 23 Sublime REWBJB Ordered 23 Rapid Blue ZL1 1LE
646 Posts
They are also more likely to get a HC on trade that they can make more $$ on

· Registered
372 Posts

I had a dealer that told me they were going to charge me 5k extra because I was out of the county. My county borders this county. Not country, COUNTY!

· Registered
27 Posts
The dealer here in California which I ordered my 23 charger wbrejb just told me now they are doing 20k mark ups on the allocations they have left.

Apparently they didn’t realize how little allocations they were getting when I placed my order (I was the first one to order and I did it immediately upon dodge releasing the list), so now, all available allocations are 20k ADM as they finally realized how many people want these cars and how there will be such a small Amount available.

I’ve been reassured that my order is price protected and I have it in writing multiple times via text messages, emails and on the Order sheet itself. Time will tell how that goes, but just another example of the money grab by dealers who have prided themselves on being msrp dealers in the past
I had a WBJB order from June recently cancelled out of the blue and it was 5K over. I just reordered and now I'm at 10K over. I got it in writing but 10K is my limit anyway.

· Premium Member
2022 Challenger Jail Break
2,827 Posts
When I was looking for my 2022 JB I called a dealer in NJ where I live; they wanted 10k over.

Called around found a dealer in PA that would do MSRP.

The original NJ dealer called me back and went down to 5k, I still said no and then they did MSRP after I told them I have a MSRP deal in PA.

I decided to still use the PA dealer on principle and told them they tried to screw me up front so I'll go to the other guy.

· Registered
2022 Jailbreak
870 Posts
had a powerbroker close by gonna sell me a super stock for msrp. built the car on dodge site, sent it to them and just got a call yesterday saying the allocation was now going to highest bidder. 25,000 over sticker.
i told them to take a flying f**k at a rolling donut.
monday morning meeting must have changed things.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
I had a dealer that told me they were going to charge me 5k extra because I was out of the county. My county borders this county. Not country, COUNTY!
The best response to that BS is to just turn and walk out the door. Dollar to a donut someone will catch up to you before you get to your car. If you make it to your car then that's confirmation you were not at the right dealer to begin with.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,326 Posts
The OEMs definitely track where the dealer sales come from so probably looks better for them to have most sales local.

I remember years back GM shut down the highest selling S-10 truck dealer in the US, the reason? He was based in Chattanooga but nearly all of his sales went to north Georgia customers and the Georgia dealers didn't like that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,225 Posts
The OEMs definitely track where the dealer sales come from so probably looks better for them to have most sales local.

I remember years back GM shut down the highest selling S-10 truck dealer in the US, the reason? He was based in Chattanooga but nearly all of his sales went to north Georgia customers and the Georgia dealers didn't like that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hard to believe that happened. I mean I believe you believe it happened as you said, but that would be a car maker interfering with interstate commerce. A dealer would almost certainly sue and win and would probably end up owning the factory.

More recently, isn't there at least one Dodge dealer, I'm thinking of Koons in WVA, that sells cars all over? AFAIK it is still in business has not been shut down.

· Registered
372 Posts
Hard to believe that happened. I mean I believe you believe it happened as you said, but that would be a car maker interfering with interstate commerce. A dealer would almost certainly sue and win and would probably end up owning the factory.

More recently, isn't there at least one Dodge dealer, I'm thinking of Koons in WVA, that sells cars all over? AFAIK it is still in business has not been shut down.
That may have been the cover story that was given. Dealer could have been doing some shady crap to get those sales. Wasn't their a Dodge salesperson that was top in the country. Come to find out he was offering all the customers the employee price.

· Banned
1,210 Posts

Your dealer makes squat on car sales, the money is in the service department, both you and the dealer know for a fact you are not flying across the country for an oil change

1 - 20 of 96 Posts