SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Haven’t been on here much for the past few weeks, hope all is well!

I purchased my 2016 Hellcat Charger in November of 2020. Within two days of purchasing I noticed a rough idle and it seemed to be misfiring, so I brought it back. The dealership ran their diagnostics and identified that it was in fact misfiring so they replaced the spark plugs. This did not fix it. They gave me back the car and had ordered new cams and lifters as a next attempt. Few weeks went by and they came in so I dropped the car off again. After installing the cams and lifters, the misfiring was still present. They then dove deeper into the engine and found internal scouring and damage inside the engine, and said that they wanted to replace the motor under the warranty that I had purchased. It’s been about 3 weeks now waiting for the warranty company to stop pussy footing, and when they get the approval the dealership will order the new engine.

Has anyone else had an issue where their Hellcat engine was replaced?! What are the thoughts, pros, and cons on this exchange? Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I just want my car back.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts
Mine dropped an intake valve @ 7,600 miles and locked the motor. Motor could not be turned by hand after removing all belts. FCA did replace the entire motor from valve cover to oil pan because of the piston, internal cylinder and head/valve guide damage. It was a totally green motor (never run) and all other components were transferred to the new engine. Now @ 20K miles and all's well.

Was your car out of Factory Warranty??

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,983 Posts
What warranty did you buy?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
What year is your HC....

Mine dropped an intake valve @ 7,600 miles and locked the motor. Motor could not be turned by hand after removing all belts. FCA did replace the entire motor from valve cover to oil pan because of the piston, internal cylinder and head/valve guide damage. It was a totally green motor (never run) and all other components were transferred to the new engine. Now @ 20K miles and all's well.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,894 Posts
Sounds like a 2016 could just make it inside the powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Let us know how it goes.
Hey man! Thanks for the feedback! So it’s a 2016 and out of factory warranty, yes. However, when I purchased the car I purchased the extended MOPAR which the paperwork states that it is essentially the factory (or like CPO warranty) but just extended for a longer duration than factory! So fortunately I have that, so that’s how it’s being covered!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,396 Posts
Hi guys,

I purchased my 2016 Hellcat Charger in November of 2020. Within two days of purchasing I noticed a rough idle and it seemed to be misfiring, so I brought it back. The dealership ran their diagnostics and identified that it was in fact misfiring so they replaced the spark plugs. This did not fix it. They gave me back the car and had ordered new cams and lifters as a next attempt. Few weeks went by and they came in so I dropped the car off again. After installing the cams and lifters, the misfiring was still present. They then dove deeper into the engine and found internal scouring and damage inside the engine, and said that they wanted to replace the motor under the warranty that I had purchased. It’s been about 3 weeks now waiting for the warranty company to stop pussy footing, and when they get the approval the dealership will order the new engine.

Has anyone else had an issue where their Hellcat engine was replaced?! What are the thoughts, pros, and cons on this exchange? Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I just want my car back.
No direct experience with having an engine replaced but have come upon a number of posts by those who eventually went through this.

Some made a fuss about non matching VIN and engine numbers but big whoop.

My advice would be to let the replacement happen. Be sure you get all the paperwork and save this. If you ever sell or trade in the car -- actually as a trade in no one would care -- you can show the engine was replaced but not because of something you did or didn't do. I mention this because almost guaranteed that the engine was replaced will (at some point) show up on a CarFax report. Even if it didn't I would still divulge this when selling or trading in the car. In some ways that the engine was replaced is a good thing, can add value. The engine has fewer miles than what the car has. My 2nd hand info is that a replacement engine will almost certainly have any improvements the factory became aware of over time.

Treat the replacement engine as a new engine. It may or may not be 100% new. But still treat it like it it is. Thus follow the factory engine break in guidelines.

Further my recommendation is unless the paperwork forbids this change the engine oil/filter early. With my new Hellcat I had the oil changed at 500 milies, 2K miles then again at 5K miles. Thereafter I settled into a 5K/6 month oil change schedule.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
No direct experience with having an engine replaced but have come upon a number of posts by those who eventually went through this.

Some made a fuss about non matching VIN and engine numbers but big whoop.

My advice would be to let the replacement happen. Be sure you get all the paperwork and save this. If you ever sell or trade in the car -- actually as a trade in no one would care -- you can show the engine was replaced but not because of something you did or didn't do. I mention this because almost guaranteed that the engine was replaced will (at some point) show up on a CarFax report. Even if it didn't I would still divulge this when selling or trading in the car. In some ways that the engine was replaced is a good thing, can add value. The engine has fewer miles than what the car has. My 2nd hand info is that a replacement engine will almost certainly have any improvements the factory became aware of over time.

Treat the replacement engine as a new engine. It may or may not be 100% new. But still treat it like it it is. Thus follow the factory engine break in guidelines.

Further my recommendation is unless the paperwork forbids this change the engine oil/filter early. With my new Hellcat I had the oil changed at 500 milies, 2K miles then again at 5K miles. Thereafter I settled into a 5K/6 month oil change schedule.
SO MUCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very well done...

Especially, especially, follow the break in period process...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
[QUOTE="DevilsReject97, post: 4365614, member: 100840"

[/QUOTE]

These engines should not need to be broken in. They are 'broken in' at the factory but that's on new car builds. Not sure about replacement engines though. "green"...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
These engines should not need to be broken in. They are 'broken in' at the factory but that's on new car builds. Not sure about replacement engines though. "green"...
True enough, I would just do it to be safe... at least for the 500 miles... the diff is probably okay and not an issue to worry about..

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Green Motors are not/cannot run. After completing the assembly, the crankshaft is rotated to charge the oil pump and check oil pressure. The crankcase is filled with Pennzoil Synthetic and an oil filter installed. There's no starter, plugs, coils, SC, coolant, etc.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,519 Posts
Green Motors are not/cannot run. After completing the assembly, the crankshaft is rotated to charge the oil pump and check oil pressure. The crankcase is filled with Pennzoil Synthetic and an oil filter installed. There's no starter, plugs, coils, SC, coolant, etc.
Thanks for that, this explains the green thing. Wasnt sure if they were hooked/filled up for break-in and then drained of coolant for shipping. Good info.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts
Thanks for that, this explains the green thing. Wasn't sure if they were hooked/filled up for break-in and then drained of coolant for shipping. Good info.
I was initially anxious about transferring the old parts (SC, Plugs, Coils, Fuel Lines, Injectors, some Sensors) to the new engine, but realized that all those parts had been performing perfectly and it turned out there were no issues. Was also concerned the engine had never been run on a test cell to check all mechanicals, seat the rings and check for coolant leaks, and was anxious the engine might use oil. All those concerns turned out to be unnecessary. :)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,396 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I know that some claim -- based on what source I do not know as I have not found anything official on this -- the engines are broken in by (reportedly) running them "42" minutes on a dyno.

(As an aside I can believe initially the first batch of new engines were dyno tested. Certainly any engines destined for installation in cars that would go to upper Dodge management or to the press were or should have been dyno tested. I suspect that some of the early engines were dyno tested got twisted into "all" engines were dyno tested.)

For a handful of new engines to dyno test is one thing. To dyno test a full year's supply of engines is another thing entirely. Just the time involved to do this for every engine makes this highly unlikely every new engine is run on a dyno. The engine factory can build hundreds of engines per hour. The cost to then run each on a dyno for 42 minutes would blow the cost savings from the highly automated engine factory out the window.

Another aside in the engine factory videos I have seen I have only seen a brief view of some guy rolling an engine from the assembly line to a large and rather spacious dyno room and then sitting at the console while the engine is run through its paces. This needs to be multiplied by at least 42 to ensure an engine per minute can leave the dyno wing of the factory. By the fact the guy has to go fetch the engine and hook it up and then sit at a console and then unhook the engine clearly indicates this is not part of the normal engine building process -- or it would be automated -- but more likely just some QA going on where an engine is selected at random to test.

Even if the engine is dyno'd this does constitute a full break in. At best it ensures the rings are seated and the engine does not manifest any signs of any problems/issues before it is installed in the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,

yes hi my name is gregg and i just purchased a 2016 challenger hellcat that has 4999 miles on it and i was driving it home after paying 61 thousand cash and it started acting up rough idle check engine lite on so of coarse i called them up and brought it right back and they had a tech come out and read the code and he said it was a misfire on cylinder #4so they told me to bring it in the next day so i did they gave it back to me later in the day telling me that they thought it had been sitting so long that the gaas was bad,the minute i got back in the car and drove it home it was no better,im steaming at this point and the salesmanhas been trying to help but the service manager is the one who is the problem he told they will get it in next monday,weanwhile im fuming......

·
Registered
Durango Hellcat
172 Posts
well im quite pissed off so hopefully it wont be a long one cuz if i dont get some pretty quick and competant results ill be goin to the dealers board
You should write them a strongly worded letter first. With your spelling, punctuation and grammer, I'm confident you'll achieve the best possible outcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts