SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,755 Posts
2 door trucks will always be available. 3500 and below will be special order only, aka paying sticker. Medium duty trucks are 80% regular cab for fleet use, that will never change. Imo

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
2 door trucks will always be available. 3500 and below will be special order only, aka paying sticker.
Ordering does not mean having to pay sticker, by any means.

Anyway, there are some rules that are heavily in favor of crew cab pickups (larger footprint), so I wouldn't count on being able to buy 2-doors for much longer.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
305 Posts
2 door trucks will always be available. 3500 and below will be special order only, aka paying sticker. Medium duty trucks are 80% regular cab for fleet use, that will never change. Imo
As Jimmy N stated, they're already dead or dying from all of the big 3.... more money in producing 4 door trucks.

As for a new V10 Viper... i'd much rather see them build a Hellcat powered variety... mainly because it would be easier to do...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,755 Posts
I disagree completely. Many companies only use two door pickups for the simple length factor. Easier to drive in the field and turn around, plow, tow, etc.
Just had a meeting with fleet sales, reviewed last 16 quarters and sales say otherwise in the northeast 100%.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
Just had a meeting with fleet sales, reviewed last 16 quarters and sales say otherwise in the northeast 100%.
What's the percentage of sales, even in that limited sector? And how does a 2-door make it easier to tow???
I like my tow vehicles as long and heavy as possible, to make towing safer.

As a complete aside, but got reminded by your "easier to turn around" comment, would you believe that the 2-door 4500 I'm lusting for has over a 200-inch wheelbase?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,755 Posts
More towing is done on job sites and back and forth to job sites, companies are buying regular cab 8ft bed trucks, or they go longer WB to suite their bed requirements, bur regular cabs are simply number one. We can go back and forth all night. Just because everybody is daily driving crew cab-short bed trucks, some diesel, driving diesel fuel costs way too high and requiring rediculous emissions, you will not see the regular cab go away. You just will not.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
More towing is done on job sites and back and forth to job sites, companies are buying regular cab 8ft bed trucks, or they go longer WB to suite their bed requirements, bur regular cabs are simply number one. We can go back and forth all night. Just because everybody is daily driving crew cab-short bed trucks, some diesel, driving diesel fuel costs way too high and requiring rediculous emissions, you will not see the regular cab go away. You just will not.
If you say so.
Should I buy gassers for towing instead?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,755 Posts
Not sure why your asking that

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
You strongly indicated that diesels fuel costs were high, and that they require ridiculous emissions.

In my case, the 3500 hasn't given me any problems (yet, anyway), and it would take quite a gas engine to pull upwards of 28,000 lbs., not counting the 9,500 the 3500 weighs.
The Pete has been virtually flawless, too, but it has zero emission stuff and I only use it when towing something heavy.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,755 Posts
Yes, the exhaust filters and the def systems are junk. Very expensive on customers.. What year/make 3500 and what year/engine pete? Your pete may not even have emissions, but you 3500 does, if 2009 and up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't agree with that. in the 90's, none of the seventeen-year-olds had been in WWII, and many had no fathers who were of that era, either. All you heard about in the '90's was VTEC, VTEC, VTEC, like having variable valve timing on a lawnmower suddenly made you into Michael Shumacher.

The passion was not dead. It just had fewer outlets, and the Big Three largely ignored it or were somehow convinced that masculinity was toxic and bad, so they wimped out and Honda stole an entire generation with their subtle and relentless press for more market share, and somehow erasing the FACT that on pavement, an RWD car is simply faster, given all other things being equal, than a FWD car.

F1 does not mandate rear-wheel drive, but, voila! all the cars that are the fastest around a race track do not have AWD, and it sure ain't front-wheel-drive.

Through a marketing onslaught, the FACT that RWD is just plain faster, more fun, and better for performance in general was erased from the public consciousness, but, again, looking at the FACTS can shake one out of the coma induced on purpose by bean-counters and insurance companies.

Yes, RWD has more potential for oversteer, but with modern electronics and ABS, it is far less of a danger than when FWD was foisted on the public en masse. Look at how controllable the Hellcats are with both traction and stability control.

A 2-door, sporty, low, fun little car that is backed up by a platform that leaves room for fun future additions and upgrades will help young guys get back into cars and get their faces un-stuck from their phones.

Also, not charging 30,000 dollars for it, and making really inexpensive strippers available that still have performance available.

Also, as Greta continues to shriek and blubber her way to prominence, foisted on us by a whole juggernaut evidently financed by China, who is poor in oil but rich in lithium, which is used in electric cars, it is good to say "nope" to the Climate Hype.

The way forward: Even the base model with 4-valve DOHC and maybe 1.6L, and good rev potential, ports that have plenty of room around them for porting. Some guys get their kicks at 8,000 RPM more than at 11PSI.

Then, upgrades to the same engine via block with greater bore size, not just more stroke, for up to 2.4L of displacement, plenty more revs, and ultimately a turbo option with appropriate status-symbol external accouterments.

Heck, make one with a well-engineered micro-diesel that is turbocharged and can ALSO be hopped up, as some people really like engines that have no throttle butterflies, and escape the whiny-voiced "but why don't you have a hybrid version?" crowd on their way to their latest parade/demonstration to protest against whatever is normal.

The Lawn Dart that Dodge produced (sales had a similar trajectory) had zero performance parts available, no one in the aftermarket supported it, and it was in a black hole of obscurity. There were no cool Lawn Darts. They had too many doors. Even 1995 Hondas TWO DOOR CARS THAT HAVE LESS THAN FOUR DOORS IN THE SENSE OF ONLY HAVING TWO still have a substantial aftermarket for them.

Mopar has to hit the ground running with the performance version offered from DAY ONE of the New Arrow. They can't make it a complete desecration of the old name like the Lawn Dart was. They have to have the aftermarket already primed with performance stuff. They have to make fun available.

In fact, just copy Honda in the 1990's. Make a Hellcat version with a tiny supercharger (not centrifugal) option in addition to a turbo option. Get the rotor pack from Eaton, not IHI. If you want to steal an entire generation, tie it into Mad Max and get the supercharger able to be engaged by choice, by a big, prominent PTO pull-button (maybe dash-mounted,) fed by a functional hood scoop, and offer it in matt black. Honda would most likely immediately launch a campaign to explain how important it is for everyone to sit down to pee, because penis ownership is insensitivity, AND subtly attack the car as being even more irresponsible than billions of farting bovines, because you KNOW Honda does not have the balls to produce a counter to it.

Make masculinity legal again! (I mean for cars and men.)

PS if you want to completely pull the pants down on the rest of the competitors in Europe, make it available there with a 1.6L turbo V6, an engine option that announces "F1" with a billboard, without explicitly stating it. It would be the marketing coup of the century!

Literally ZERO automakers in Europe are doing this. It can be the European version of the Dart Hellcat. Call it the Matra or something similar and style it with similar valve cover design to the old high-screaming Matra 11,000 RPM endurance racing engines of the Speed Merchants era.

In Europa, you can market it as a good performance starter car, and since whoever owns Mopar this week has no competing models, they won't be afraid of stepping on Enzo's (Ferrari for the performance-illiterate) toes or dancing on his grave.

Have a high-revving V6 sport model, AND the Porsche-challenging turbocharged V6 that would have the rest of Europe scratching their heads and asking, "Ach der lieber! Why didn't we think of that?"

Do it, Mopar. Make cars, not 2000 euro phones cool again!
Performance is still king in urban areas. Look at the cars being stolen, Mopars, why not Chevys & Fords? Suburbanites have been programmed into 4 door and electric cars. Their kids are raised on electronics and gotta go to college. The car companies are guilty of catering to higher income folks and forgotten the average worker that can't afford $45k & up cars, easier to steal them. Look at the new Hellcats on dealer lots, $70k & up. Koons Dodge is selling tons of un-optioned Hellcats, but they're still over $50k. At that price they really are a bargain, but you see on these forums how they are mocked for being "cheap.'

The foreign car makers are catering to these lower incomes, creating brand loyalty as they progress in life. Hyundai is a great example. They are making cars loaded with the options that people love but can't afford and the are making them affordable. As far as 2 door vs 4 door cars, I see almost all high dollar hyper cars are 2 door, why is that? Look at the auctions, 2 door cars are the most wanted. My preference was a Challenger HC 2 door for having fun, and our Durango 4 door for daily use. Having these choices are great and allows buyers the freedom to choose what 'they' like. The manufacturers will build what they can make money at. The PSA/FCA merger may bring many changes, not all of them good (SRT). This forum allows free ideas & speech, let's not turn it into twitter by ridiculing other members because you don't agree or like their comment.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
The 3500 is a '17, so it has its share of "stuff", but as mentioned, it runs very well so far.
Meanwhile, the Pete, also as mentioned, has none of that, just a fully mechanical 3405B in an '80 359.

Ironically, the Pete can get better mileage pulling more weight. Although, in all fairness, at slightly lower speeds. Its mirrors and visor get "nervous" at over 75 mph.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Mods, can you please check the IP of these endless low-post-count sock puppet bot accounts that add nothing of value, and ban them? Thanks.

Meanwhile, ignoring works.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As Jimmy N stated, they're already dead or dying from all of the big 3.... more money in producing 4 door trucks.

As for a new V10 Viper... i'd much rather see them build a Hellcat powered variety... mainly because it would be easier to do...
You are not going to attract the Porsche-tier people, image-wise, with a car that has an engine from a "muscle car" in it.

The Viper needs to step UP in its image, not DOWN.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I thought they were all 4 door, OP is against 4 doors. Also, at that price point, I think the STI would be a better buy. That's just my opinion though.
I am not against four doors. I am against not having the OPTION of having 2 doors. They don't have to make money. Honda and everyone else understands that beginner cars are loss leaders for MPG/CAFE and creating brand loyalty. Everyone else except Mopar, evidently.

The problem with not having reliable, cheap, sexy, fun, first cars is that the later cars that have the kinds of profit margins bean counters think about when alone in bed are largely a product having the money-losing or lower-profit loss-leader initial cars to get people in the door in the first place.

A reminder, I gave Bob Lutz the idea for a revived Dodge Challenger (actually a Plymouth 'Cuda, befcause Plymouth was still alive back then) back in the early '90's, replete with the idea of a new, small-block Hemi. I am batting 1000 on my ideas and understand the market better than my critics do. Anyone driving a Dodge Challenger (new version) is proof I was right. The millions of 2-door first, cheap, fun, cars being sold worldwide is proof that they are wrong.

And I am saying that Dodge is missing the boat by abdicating all 2-door sporty compact car sales to anyone and everyone else.

How many car models have YOU originated? How many units are THEY selling? Ask yourself these questions. I know this stuff. I have a 100 percent proven track record. I also encouraged him to produce the Viper GTS, but I think that was probably already planned by the time they just showed a concept. But, I was right about that one, too.

I know a hole in the market when I see one, and even with the Climate Cultists shrieking about how bad muscle cars are, while they write checks to NAMbLA to support it, or whatever else they do with their time, MY idea, the car I asked Mopar to produce, is absolutely steamrolling, no, it is Sturmpanzering the other automakers day after day after day.

I was right then. I am right now. Hire me, Dodge. Bobby never sent me the keys to a new Challenger when they got around to making them. This would be just.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
305 Posts
You are not going to attract the Porsche-tier people, image-wise, with a car that has an engine from a "muscle car" in it.

The Viper needs to step UP in its image, not DOWN.
And yet Chevy did just fine with the ZR1. I didnt say it had to be a Hellcat, you could make a Venom edition of the motor.

·
Registered
Durango Hellcat
113 Posts
I am not against four doors. I am against not having the OPTION of having 2 doors. They don't have to make money. Honda and everyone else understands that beginner cars are loss leaders for MPG/CAFE and creating brand loyalty. Everyone else except Mopar, evidently.

The problem with not having reliable, cheap, sexy, fun, first cars is that the later cars that have the kinds of profit margins bean counters think about when alone in bed are largely a product having the money-losing or lower-profit loss-leader initial cars to get people in the door in the first place.

A reminder, I gave Bob Lutz the idea for a revived Dodge Challenger (actually a Plymouth 'Cuda, befcause Plymouth was still alive back then) back in the early '90's, replete with the idea of a new, small-block Hemi. I am batting 1000 on my ideas and understand the market better than my critics do. Anyone driving a Dodge Challenger (new version) is proof I was right. The millions of 2-door first, cheap, fun, cars being sold worldwide is proof that they are wrong.

And I am saying that Dodge is missing the boat by abdicating all 2-door sporty compact car sales to anyone and everyone else.

How many car models have YOU originated? How many units are THEY selling? Ask yourself these questions. I know this stuff. I have a 100 percent proven track record. I also encouraged him to produce the Viper GTS, but I think that was probably already planned by the time they just showed a concept. But, I was right about that one, too.

I know a hole in the market when I see one, and even with the Climate Cultists shrieking about how bad muscle cars are, while they write checks to NAMbLA to support it, or whatever else they do with their time, MY idea, the car I asked Mopar to produce, is absolutely steamrolling, no, it is Sturmpanzering the other automakers day after day after day.

I was right then. I am right now. Hire me, Dodge. Bobby never sent me the keys to a new Challenger when they got around to making them. This would be just.
Alternative reality level 100 achieved.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts