SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, my point was really that my girlfriend traded one of hers for a Trackhawk, so her loyalty must be questionable.
At least when it comes to Porsches.
A woman who buys a Porsche because it is cute or comes in hot peach color or whatever is not exactly the core, loyal buying public of Porsche, so, yes you are very correct in that.

Ask her who Ferdinand Piech is. Ask here what country Stuttgart is in. So many litmus tests.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
A woman who buys a Porsche because it is cute or comes in hot peach color or whatever is not exactly the core, loyal buying public of Porsche, so, yes you are very correct in that.

Ask her who Ferdinand Piech is. Ask here what country Stuttgart is in. So many litmus tests.
Would you believe that she buys her cars based on performance and handling, not cuteness?

And except for her Ram 3500, they're all Agate Gray. Or Granite, in the case of the Redeye and Trackhawk, which is very close to the same color. Hot peach just wouldn't work all that well when cruising at twice the speed limit, or close to it.

Having lived in Germany, and being a fan of Porsches (well, also performance cars in general), she does know a fair amount about the country, and cars. While she only has two now, I think she's had eight or so of them.

Good thing you're not sexist, and wrote anything even remotely demeaning about her, or women in general.

Reactions: SRTCVO and Unavowed

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Would you believe that she buys her cars based on performance and handling, not cuteness?
Sure, but that was not really the point, more of a comment on what motivates car choices among women more than men, though, as with many things, exceptions do not disprove, but, rather, prove the rule. However, especially in this upcoming generation, men are evidently trying to out-wimp women, so maybe it is trending more that way.

The POINT was that people in general, and most especially, people who don't have the faintest flying clue about anything about Porsche, including pronouncing it with one syllable, are not necessarily the core, loyal Porschephiles.

The core, loyal Porsche lovers would generally consider it a violation to put a Chevy engine in a Porsche, which circles around to the point from earlier, which was that if the engine in a car is tainted in some way, by being too cheap or common, it will taint the car and hurt cachet, which hurts desirability, which hurts sales and hurts profits. No matter how you tarted up the Viper, the engine was not as exotic as the car, especially when a version was found in a pickup truck, albeit with an iron block. The engine was a bastard compromise from the get-go.

Maseratis sell better because they have had Ferrari engines in them for years. They may have changed that lately, but it was one reason I was seriously considering one. The red crackle gave it more cachet, to my mind. I was dreaming of high revs, custom headers, basically going the F1 route with the engine. (natural-aspiration era.) But, the car was just too small and mousy. It had less presence than I wanted. Also, Masers are kinda similar to Jaguars, which are not in the same tier, image-wise, and that didn't impress me, considering their history, which is more illustrious, in my mind.

If everyone at Dodge has not been gelded, they need to build their own, unique, oversized V12 or V10, with twin overhead cams, and REALLY go after that market segment in which, due to the clunky, awkward, weird engine design, they were considered usurpers more than belonging there.

The Viper could still be the foot in the door of a lasting, desirable, respectable, performance division/brand in and of itself, but, it has to have a fresh-sheet-of-paper engine design to truly carry it securely into exotic car territory and not be dismissed out of hand by those who are shopping for Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, and whatever else.

No one can match the pedigree of Ferrari. No one in this century is likely to bother to try to approach it, but Mercedes is doing a great job of laying the groundwork of doing just that by dominating F1 for seven years running. There has never been F1 without Ferrari. It has an entire country that treat it like its own religion. For Mercedes, or anyone else, to be able to approach that will take a LOT of work. Lamborghini has provided engines for F1, but it has never had an F1 car, and there are things that are learned by blood, sweat, flames, and crumpled FRP in F1 that you just don't learn by manufacturing street cars that appeal to teenage sons of drug lords.

If Dodge were smarter, and had a LOT more money, they could have adopted Haas, the only American F1 team, as THEIR team, and started a dynasty of performance, an American factory F1 team. Without a car AND engine produced in-house, no automaker can ever approach the level of pedigree owned by Ferrari, and which Mercedes is approaching.

As the number of rich people continues to increase, parasitically feeding off of the masses (by ensconcing themselves in power in government and industry, smashing down wages and earnings, while driving up profits for themselves) as they did before the last great depression, which is the OTHER time in history that super-expensive luxury cars proliferated, the market for super-expensive cars will increase, not decrease.

Just because the poor get poorer does not mean the rich will not continue to profit from that very poverty they intentionally enforce on others in other to become richer. Have you noticed how stiff the penalties, how zealous and shrouded in secrecy the enforcement is for the IRS (their agents use false names, a violation of the Constitution) compared to murder?

Society is becoming increasingly stratified. Automakers can take advantage of that or not.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
But, the car was just too small and mousy. It had less presence than I wanted.
We're all different, thankfully. And as you could probably tell from the color choice on my girlfriend's cars (mine are very similar), presence is not on the list. Stealth and a desire not to be noticed is.

I'm not exactly a fan of Porsches, but if the choice was between a red Ferrari (or any color Ferrari for that matter) and a gray 911 Turbo S, I'd take the better performing and less visible Porsche in a heartbeat.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
But wait, there may be more.

Reactions: 2ndAmend

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I wonder if there is a market for some long-box King Cab pickups. They would be very long, but not everyone lives in a big cities with small parking spaces.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
Since only Nissan makes King Cabs, it's already quite a niche market. Probably wouldn't be a huge seller.

But you can buy Ram crew cabs with over a 200-inch wheelbase. Yes, those are long. With a regular cab you can get up to 120 inches between the cab and rear axle, so about a 14-foot bed.
That, to me, is approaching "very long".

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Haha, oops, the MEGA CAB! Dodge does not yet offer, to my knowledge, the MEGA cab with a long box. I know people who would have bought one if it were available. It's not like it would take Wehrner Von Braun to engineer it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
No, you can't get them from the factory that way, but there are companies that convert them to long beds.
I'm not a fan of pickup boxes, so I prefer a cab and chassis anyway, with the frame and the rest left stock length. And there are several wheelbases available, especially for the 4500/5500s.

Then again, you can't get a Mega Cab with those, which is fine with me since I haul stuff, not people.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
998 Posts
The problem isn't coffee, it's what's being poured into the coffee. Where are these millions of two door cars that are being sold today? Besides the exotic/sports cars and the Wrangler no one even makes one. When the overall length of 1971 Dart was the same as the overall length of a 2020 Charger the two-door was functional. Two doors in a modern compact car is useless. I'm 6'-2" and the driver's seat in my Challenger is against the back seat. The vast majority of young people today don't even want to buy a car, let alone "hop it up", they'd much rather talk about which phone they have. Get a new calendar, it's a different world. But go ahead and copy and paste your original post again if it makes you feel better.
You must have some long legs. I have an acquaintance that is 6'10" and his seat is all the way back, but I digress.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
While I'm at it, who wouldn't like to see Chrysler come back with a REAL luxury car again, something large, wide, low, and stately. Sort of an updated 1971-era New Yorker or Fifth Avenue. Half-roof vinyl with lots of padding, big ass, of course. They may have to put a diesel-electric hybrid in it for fuel mileage. Imagine a 50mpg luxury barge. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,788 Posts
As mentioned earlier, while I'm not a fan of Porsches, you have to respect this.

"Porsche is known for overbuilding cars. Not only can a 911 Turbo S do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, but it can do it back to back, over and over, without ever overheating or seeming to slow down. We know because we did 50 launches in a row with a 2014 Turbo S. If you think that's not true about high-speed running, too, think again. Because according to Porsche, the 992 911 GT3 can travel at 186 mph continuously for over 3000 miles."

Even if I had free fuel, I wouldn't try that with my 'Cat.

Reactions: HellishCat
61 - 80 of 80 Posts