SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Ford and GM are putting decoupling pulleys on their alternators? But not on their blowers???
Looks like made by Litens too?
6114B7B1-BA06-419C-85DD-655D0B149E6C.jpeg
3FE5F439-E292-4F6F-A883-86D91099E4F6.jpeg
E47A9D7C-30B8-4F7F-8B26-781CC329A1B7.jpeg

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
Yes, its been stated several times on this forum that other manufacturers have been using direct coupled blower pulleys for years with no ill effects yet for some reason, everyone thinks the Hellcat has to have one or the blower will fail. Plenty of people are not using decoupled pulleys on their Hellcats for years now with no issues.

Reactions: rift33

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
115 Posts
i work for a hyundai / volkswagen dealership. both manufactures use clutch pulleys on their alternators.

·
Registered
In The Market
55 Posts
I own a independent repair shop, we see these pulleys on a small % of applications.
There is no performance or reliability advantage using a decoupling pulley on a alternator, none.
The only advantage is parasitic drag, reduction during deceleration = fuel mileage.
How much power does it take to turn the blower ? Whatever it actually is during decel. hurts mileage.
Does the average consumer benefit? Maybe. Fuel mileage sells, the manufacturer does benefit.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
488 Posts
I doubt Dodge put the decoupling SC pulley on the Hellcat to increase fuel mileage :p

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
I doubt Dodge put the decoupling SC pulley on the Hellcat to increase fuel mileage :p
There really is no other valid reason except NVH.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
488 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
55 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
252 Posts
Isn’t The point of the factory pulley is to reduced belt slippage ,and reduce stress on the lower crankshaft pulley..it’s also why ppl who install Solid Pulleys have to pin the crankshaft..
It’s the reason the factory IHI manufacture produced the Hell raiser pulley to increase boost to 16psi and still retain the benefits the stock pulley gives you..
It has zero to do with MPG..
IF THEY WERE WORRIED ABOUT THAT ,there’s much better ways to increase mpg although the whole point of a 800hp car is to say screw you to everyone and just go fast,not worry about MPG..
JUST MY TWO CENTS..can’t afford much more than that ...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
488 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
300 Posts
From Gates: The purpose of a decoupler pulley is to allow the alternator, which is turning at a high rate of speed to overrun the belt as the rpm’s decrease upon vehicle slow down. This protects and saves the alternator. In essence, the decoupler is a sacrificial component. If you catch decoupler failure early enough you can save the alternator which should last upwards of 100K miles. If you catch the failure too late you will have to replace both the alternator/ decoupler as an assembly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,185 Posts
Isn’t The point of the factory pulley is to reduced belt slippage ,and reduce stress on the lower crankshaft pulley..it’s also why ppl who install Solid Pulleys have to pin the crankshaft..
It’s the reason the factory IHI manufacture produced the Hell raiser pulley to increase boost to 16psi and still retain the benefits the stock pulley gives you..
It has zero to do with MPG..
IF THEY WERE WORRIED ABOUT THAT ,there’s much better ways to increase mpg although the whole point of a 800hp car is to say screw you to everyone and just go fast,not worry about MPG..
JUST MY TWO CENTS..can’t afford much more than that ...
The stock crank pulley has spun before on stock Hellcats. Running the hell raiser pulley will require a pinned crank as well.

R.K.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
I like the clutched pulley idea ,between shifts the boost stays up
I noticed once I got the tune right and belt slippage resolved I noticed on the log that the boost stay steady

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
I like the clutched pulley idea ,between shifts the boost stays up
I noticed once I got the tune right and belt slippage resolved I noticed on the log that the boost stay steady
Boost stays up with a non clutched pulley too.

Reactions: 16GoManGoHC

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
Boost stays up with a non clutched pulley too.
funny I would think that with rpm drop it would drop as well
can you show that on a log??,,considering when you shift the decoupled lets the supercharger spin up

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,764 Posts
250ms shift with our trans in track mode so no noticeable rpm loss between gear changes.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
250ms shift with our trans in track mode so no noticeable rpm loss between gear changes.
[/QUOTEs
I realize the shift timing is 250 ms but the rpm drop for example is as much as 1200 rpm between 4 and 5th gear ,so if that is true then with a solid pulley the super charger also slows down as much that's why I asked if you could show it on a log

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
please don't take that the wrong way ,im just trying to figure out how it doesn't lose boost (at least some ) with the rpm change

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
126 Posts
Yes, its been stated several times on this forum that other manufacturers have been using direct coupled blower pulleys for years with no ill effects yet for some reason, everyone thinks the Hellcat has to have one or the blower will fail. Plenty of people are not using decoupled pulleys on their Hellcats for years now with no issues.
When you say fuel system upgrade in your bio what kind of upgrade are you talkin about? I'm going to put a 285 pulley on my hellcat and want to know other than the injectors what kind of fuel pump upgrade do I need if any at all

1 - 20 of 40 Posts