SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had them installed today. Does this 3.09 diff need a break in period or are they ready to rock-n-roll from the beginning? Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah man. Ok. Thank you. They are super quiet right now. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it!!!

Armando Solis

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve White Parts

3.5 hours labor-whatever your mechanic charges....

·
Read Only
64 Posts
Mine have been noisy since the day I bought the car. Not any worse but just same whine. The more I read it seems they just are that way. Good look on keeping a quiet one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
STCAT, what's your impression of the 3.09? I have the 2.62 and my car feels darn fast with these. Just curious especially if you have gotten before/after track times.
thank for fb

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2019 RedEye WB came with the 262 rear; I bought the 309 factory RE/Demon rear from Thunder Dodge in Fla online (I live in Va) for about $1500 shipped. I paid a shop $350 to install it (simple process for them). The car is more responsive in lower gears (and yes my 262 rear ran great). The 309 gets to shift points faster is all I can say, but probably does not have the top end of the 262 (but I don't care as I will not be running 202 mph).

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2019 RedEye WB came with the 262 rear; I bought the 309 factory RE/Demon rear from Thunder Dodge in Fla online (I live in Va) for about $1500 shipped. I paid a shop $350 to install it (simple process for them). The car is more responsive in lower gears (and yes my 262 rear ran great). The 309 gets to shift points faster is all I can say, but probably does not have the top end of the 262 (but I don't care as I will not be running 202 mph).
Do you track yours? I would like to know if any one tracked both and what were the results. Any noise with yours? Thanks for your fb!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
37 Posts
I too did the 2.62 to 3.09 swap. My cost was about the same as Mooreman6. There is no doubt it feels more responsive around town. The track nearby hasn’t opened back up so I haven’t run them yet.The rear end is definitely louder with the 3.09 gears. Very happy with the swap.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
381 Posts
Got a quote today for $690 to do the 309 AND install a diff brace. Seems a touch high to me.... quote from here

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
Anyone track test before and after? I have some 3.09 gears and want to know if they are worth a tenth or more

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
381 Posts
Anyone track test before and after? I have some 3.09 gears and want to know if they are worth a tenth or more
i know its apples to oranges , but as a old mustang racer I know it did for a pony. so i have to assume it would for a cat

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
Fox bodys picked up nicely going from 3.08-3.73 but this is total different

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
381 Posts
a late 90s 2 valve 4.6 with the factory optional 327 was worth a tenth or two over the 308 thats what i was directly referring too thus apples to oranges. Totaly different from a cat, but logic would say the added torque multiplication combined with getting rpms higher and shifting faster would net a tenth or so

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you track yours? I would like to know if any one tracked both and what were the results. Any noise with yours? Thanks for your fb!
No I do not track my car and do not intend to. I drive it infrequently and love the old school muscle car appeal of it. It sounds angry and is a sophisticated old school muscle car in my opinion.

·
Registered
In The Market
99 Posts
If 2.62 gears are better for 1/4 mile times, why did the Demon get 3.09 gears?

Reactions: @hellcatt

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
I asked BMason what his Hellcat picked up going from 2.62-3.09 and he said a tenth and a half and some mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If 2.62 gears are better for 1/4 mile times, why did the Demon get 3.09 gears?
Maybe I missed something but I didn’t see where anyone said the 262 was better than the 309? The 262 is more for top speed and the 309 is more for 1/4 mile runs. But the 309 will cruise at 75 mph and get 21 mpg if you want. The 309 runs slightly higher RPMs while cruising, but we all know that will happen.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
285 Posts
I think that some people have not picked up any ET with the 3.09's over the 2.62's is because they have not raised the shift RPM (stock Hellcats). The Demon/Redeye's have a higher shift points. So if you get traction and you shift at a higher RPM the 3.09 will be faster ET... BMason shifts his car with a transmission tune he won't tell anyone what RPM it shifts at and what he does with toque management (don't blame him either). Mine has 2.62's and it shifts at 6500 1st and 2nd. I will try the 3.09's I have in the crate, but Mike @ OST DYNO said I will have to retune to get the best performance out of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts