SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Deposit on a Jailbreak

11K views 89 replies 26 participants last post by  slicks 
#1 ·
I know this probably has been discussed already, but how many people that have a Hellcat Redeye currently are going to grab a Jailbreak? I have a 2020 Redeye Pitch Black that I am looking to sell now that I have a solid deposit and build on a Jailbreak.

#4 ·
Awesome you have a deposit on a JB, what options did you get?
I actually went the other way, I was gonna order a JB, a friend that has a dealership said he would for MSRP.
But I found a REWB Challenger that was very close to what I wanted, so got that instead.

#5 ·
Awesome. Did you so something new color and package wise compared to your redeye? BTW, if someone reading this wants to buy a 2020 Redeye with 4500 miles on it, PM me. I don't think I will be making it to the 40 posts on this thread to qualify for the Classified section.

#7 ·
So to answer both questions, I am going with the Jailbreak because it will be the end of the era for that car as we have all been told, and I was going to do a different color, but in the end, hate it or love it, I kept with pitch black exterior, but changed it to the new hammerhead grey leather with carbon fiber trim. I am really excited for this car. My 2020 I purchased from a dealer, so it wasn't exactly what I wanted. This JB is mine all mine.

#13 ·
Ok so a few thoughts.
First, congrats. I love getting new cars lol.
I may be alone here but I cant seem to understand the purchase, especially because the exterior color is the same and the drivetrain is the same. I understand it's your money and your choice, I'm just trying to figure out if a badge and different color seats would be worth the money lost. Not bagging on you by any means but I'd think 2023 would be the year to really be sure that you get the last latest greatest ICE Hellcat (for a hefty fee I'm sure). Surely the JB will be a bridge to get to whatever the swan song model will actually be as I dont see the JB as being the send off model. I'd be wondering what's coming in 2023 if the goal is to have the last top tier Hellcat. That's the true end of era year.
Again just thoughts, not trying to diminish your reasoning. And congrats, you'll love it regardless.

Reactions: HemiMetal
#15 ·
Oh trust me, I get the resistance. I've gone so far as to name this car, "Red Pill" as it is a bitter dose of reality.

My reasoning has to do with the fact that I don't like "normal" cars. When I order one, I want it my way. I could have ordered a standard REWB, but they are totally stripped of options. Solid colors only and the only options you can get are cloth/leather, Nav, H+K, and sunroof. If I wanted a black interior with the same odd interior aluminum trim with stock black wheels, I'd have gone that route... albeit at a price increase (83k or so).

For 13 grand more, I can have it built my way with the seat color and fabric of choice, interior trim selection, wheel selection, badge color, stripes or painted satin, steering wheel upgrades, and so on. Yes, it's ludicrously expensive to the point where it makes me a little sick to have paid over 100 grand after taxes are added in. However, this is the last of the Hellcats and I have one chance in life to own the baddest muscle car of all time. Since I can't ever get another one, I wanted one fully loaded, and the only way to get one is to do it with a Jailbreak.

The 2023s will be unobtainable for many people (me included). They'll all have high ADMs, long wait times, and they'll be completely priced out of the stratosphere on their MSRPs... especially for any special final models. I ordered mine with no ADM as part of the agreement, in writing. The chances of getting a no ADM 2023 will be very slim. I'm sure exceptions will occur, but no dealer worth their salt is going to let one of the 23s slip without a massive markup.

This will hold true, I think, for all of the V8 Challengers and Chargers, not just the Hellcats and Redeyes.

#14 ·
I think Xylander is due now and I don’t think he has a WB…Slowpoke is due next year and I’m sure he’ll get the final frontier model before they pack it up for good, and at of course not a penny over cost (he has that power) me I’m gonna wait for the Fratzog emblem on the rear panel era and keep my ss in the stable

#21 ·
You know us so well…not sure if I have it in me unless something Demon-like is coming. I really love this one.

Reactions: Gotgap
#17 ·
And, I forgot to mention the other side of this coin is that I'm trying to sell my car while there's still a used resale bubble. If I wait a year for the market to correct and get inventories back up... then I lose even more money on a 2023 deal as mine will be worth potentially less. At least right now I can unload my 2020 Hellcat for its original MSRP. I'm not sure that this will stay true this time next year. So, I decided to sell it and replace it now while I have a given positive set of conditions. I'm certain my car isn't going to increase in value over the next year. Thus, I can only lose by waiting.

#22 ·
I ordered a REWB November 10th. at the time the dealer and I noticed that the choices were slim. I took what I could, still 92k. At that time the hype with the jailbreak was just coming out and you couldn't order them. A week after they started taking orders for the JB, I decided to order one but didn't get an allocation and didn't want to wait so I'm sticking with the original order. If I would have ordered the JB with the exact specs as the REWB, it would have cost 97k. I know that the JB has 10 more HP, but I'm glad I stuck with the original order. Seams that they charged more for options on the JB that were included on the REWB. Still excited on the order even though its taking some time to even get built. Been in D status for 5 weeks

#23 ·
For example, in 21 the Brass Monkey wheel option came with the matching badges. They increased the cost of the Brass Monkey wheels by $300 and then make you spend extra if you want matching badges. So, it's a price increase of about 500 just for that option package over the 21 models. In the 22, you can't get any optional wheels on the REWB unless you Jailbreak it.

#31 ·
I second xylander for all the reasons why I am picking up my JB now. Just got my VIN for my car. Really excited. As I was saying if you know someone that wants a 2020 REWB low miles, below msrp, have them PM me. Few extra goodies like the red barton shift handle, and 315 tires.

Attachments

#34 ·
Don't want to double post - I already posted under the California 3% thread. Just wanted to say I signed a Sales Contract this AM for a 2022 JB Charger at 5.4% below invoice not counting the $425 Doc fee. The dealer also has my deposit (signed agreement), the Priced Order Confirmation (signed) , and a signed agreement not to resell the car for 6 months. The price is less than Employee Pricing. Full disclosure is that the dealership has ordered 2 JB's and I am the first Customer Order. Salesman says he does not know if the order will be accepted and filled but he worked for multiple days to put all the paperwork together and said if it does not go through I get my 1K deposit returned (again, that's in writing and signed). You can DM me or find my other post for additional details.

#35 ·
That is awesome. I live in NY, and the dealer I am friendly with got one allocation for a JB, challenger or charger. I am happy just to get it, and he told me if FCA applies, or any rebates, I can take advantage of those. I have a feeling that this car will predominantly be going over MSRP. Especially when a typical Hyundai is going over MSRP these days in some areas like NY. If anyone wants to see my classified ad for my 2020 REWB, it is on the Challengertalk forum under Classifieds. PM me here or there.

#36 ·
I am just wondering the obvious here maybe. If you order a really weird/rare and fully optioned JB edition, will it increase in value more than a standard well optioned order? If history repeats itself (as in the 70’s ish muscle cars) it should. Unless the whole JB is more of a marketing hype than anything else. It might be a good bet with the push for electric coming sooner than we would all like, to order a really unique jail break, fully optioned, and put it up (if you can stand and afford to) then in 10-20 years having a good investment indeed. Might be a good bet? If I were crazy rich I would order a few redeye’s or Super Stocks in crazy weird color/ optioned JB schemes so they could potentially be 1 of 1’s and store them without driving.

#37 ·
The more something is unique or rare, the higher POTENTIAL it has for being worth more. Then, you have what I call "acceptable" and "undesirable" options configurations. For example, an automatic in a C2 Corvette is undesirable as is a straight 6 engine in a 66 Mustang. Those options will actively degrade the market value of the vehicle. The JB can be done similarly. You have plenty of acceptable rare options and color combos, but you also have the ability to make them undesirable. Red car with blue stripes and neon green calipers coupled with demonic red interior would look outright hideous (3 different colors of red on the same car with contrasting blue and green exterior highlights... ew). It would no doubt be unique, likely a 1 of 1, but it would be hideously unpopular.

Most Jailbreaks are going to be fully loaded with options. Mainly because if someone can afford $86-88k with the included seat option ticked, they can afford a few grand more to finish a full on customization. I'd wager that most JBs are going to have the H+K and a few of the trim or wheel options ticked. The majority of the collector value of the JB is going to come from the overall relatively low number of them that actually get built combined with the fact that most of them will be 1 of 1s. Thus, flash forward to the future collector market, they'll mostly be known for being limited number, high optioned cars with unique builds. The exact desirability of an individual example will be determined by the tastefulness of the build.

That's why I chose white/red for mine. I intentionally wanted to build out a "classic," timeless look. Over time, color palettes change as buyer desires change. White, black, silver, and red are staples that have never gone out of fashion. Contrasting colors also never go out of fashion. Then, to round it all off, I fully customized the build with the brass monkey package (and matching logos) combined with the two-tone blk/red leather interior. The trim is the copper weave carbon fiber, which should tie in with the exterior brass monkey. This color motif is carried on the exterior with the red stock caliper color.

Thus, I designed something that is red and white on the outside, with some red on the inside. The copper/brass trims are used on both the inside and exterior as well. So, the car carries its theme across the entirety of the car. When done, it should look like a timeless classic with all the options used up. The only options my car won't have is the 3.09 and the sunroof. I wanted the standard gearset for cruise friendliness and I'm tall, so the sunroof isn't the best thing to have.

Now, will mine be collectible in the future? No guarantees, but I tried to build it to maximize that potential. Further, this will likely be my last ICE muscle car I own (of the new variety), so I also wanted one that I wouldn't get tired of looking at over the long haul. My purple/black Hellcat is a nice car, but it's most definitely designed with a more modern dark and edgy appeal that may not stand the test of time. You just can't go wrong with white and red LeMans stripes.

#39 ·
The more something is unique or rare, the higher POTENTIAL it has for being worth more. Then, you have what I call "acceptable" and "undesirable" options configurations. For example, an automatic in a C2 Corvette is undesirable as is a straight 6 engine in a 66 Mustang. Those options will actively degrade the market value of the vehicle. The JB can be done similarly. You have plenty of acceptable rare options and color combos, but you also have the ability to make them undesirable. Red car with blue stripes and neon green calipers coupled with demonic red interior would look outright hideous (3 different colors of red on the same car with contrasting blue and green exterior highlights... ew). It would no doubt be unique, likely a 1 of 1, but it would be hideously unpopular.

Most Jailbreaks are going to be fully loaded with options. Mainly because if someone can afford $86-88k with the included seat option ticked, they can afford a few grand more to finish a full on customization. I'd wager that most JBs are going to have the H+K and a few of the trim or wheel options ticked. The majority of the collector value of the JB is going to come from the overall relatively low number of them that actually get built combined with the fact that most of them will be 1 of 1s. Thus, flash forward to the future collector market, they'll mostly be known for being limited number, high optioned cars with unique builds. The exact desirability of an individual example will be determined by the tastefulness of the build.

That's why I chose white/red for mine. I intentionally wanted to build out a "classic," timeless look. Over time, color palettes change as buyer desires change. White, black, silver, and red are staples that have never gone out of fashion. Contrasting colors also never go out of fashion. Then, to round it all off, I fully customized the build with the brass monkey package (and matching logos) combined with the two-tone blk/red leather interior. The trim is the copper weave carbon fiber, which should tie in with the exterior brass monkey. This color motif is carried on the exterior with the red stock caliper color.

Thus, I designed something that is red and white on the outside, with some red on the inside. The copper/brass trims are used on both the inside and exterior as well. So, the car carries its theme across the entirety of the car. When done, it should look like a timeless classic with all the options used up. The only options my car won't have is the 3.09 and the sunroof. I wanted the standard gearset for cruise friendliness and I'm tall, so the sunroof isn't the best thing to have.

Now, will mine be collectible in the future? No guarantees, but I tried to build it to maximize that potential. Further, this will likely be my last ICE muscle car I own (of the new variety), so I also wanted one that I wouldn't get tired of looking at over the long haul. My purple/black Hellcat is a nice car, but it's most definitely designed with a more modern dark and edgy appeal that may not stand the test of time. You just can't go wrong with white and red LeMans stripes.
Sounds like it'll be a real nice car! I like the options you picked. You'll have to post some pics when it arrives! One question though....couldn't a white car be ordered with red stripes before this??

#38 ·
Hopefully you'll get what you want so far as options this time. I'm afraid the extra 10 hp or a few different options isn't nearly enough to sway me into considering trading in for a JB. I suppose if I had a regular HC and wanted to trade up / buy a Redeye...then MAYBE I'd consider getting a REWB Jailbreak since Stellantis stripped all the options for a regular non-JB '22 REWB....

Heck, my '19 REWB was a bargain with the Power Dollars, especially after what the MSRP is on what Stellanti is charging for a JB edition that's very close to the same options I already have on my car. (yes I know there's a few "new" options for JB's)

- As far as how rare these JB cars will be...who knows? There used to be a lot of HC's out there that others say are 1 of 1....and they aren't even JB cars! So far as these cars appreciating in value in 20 years...it don't matter too much to me since I'll be too old to care much about it. Maybe my kids can get a few bucks out of my worn-out Redeye one day! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Chancey
#42 ·
I for one enjoyed reading what people think will be valuable in the future as they believe they have their finger on the pulse of future collectables based on what was collectable in the past. Market studies should tell you historical trends fail lend themselves to future prospects especially when it comes to cars. There is zero that say the hellcat will be collectable in the future...in fact demographic studies should suggest it wont. There are less interested in muscle cars and the car scene than any point in history. Kids just don't care about cars they why past generations did. When I turned 16 I couldn't get to the DMV fast enough to get my license. Todays youth couldn't give a rip. I know plenty of 20yr olds that don't have their license because it wasn't important to them. Long term prospects for the collectability and worth of these cars depend on there being a sect of society that would want them, and that demographic is slowly fading away.

#43 ·
Your logic is flawed. Collectors are a niche demographic. Popular vehicles desired by the masses are typically NEVER collector cars. Vehicles like Mustang GTs, SS Camaros, Subaru WRX, and so on are mainstream vehicles that will have next to no collector value. This is because there are hundreds of thousands of these cars available and everybody wants one and everybody has one to sell. Thus, market competition ensues and the prices on them stay relatively low. I point directly at the "collectible" 65-70 Mustang market. The run-of-the-mill 289, 302 and 351 coupes are a dime a dozen. You can get decent condition ones for under 20 grand. Fastbacks are collectible and fetch a premium. 390, 428, 429 equipped models fetch more again. Then, you have the special edition Mustangs like the Boss and Shelbys (I don't count the Mach 1 as it was a mass produced trim line akin to the modern California Special Edition... see: not rare). Those fetch a massive premium amidst the sea that is the bazillion other Mustangs on the market.

Now, collectors are a small niche market buyer. Most of them employ brokers to locate or find the cars they want at auctions. They are after things that very few, if anyone else has. Rare cars, powerful cars, limited production cars, etc. By default, they don't want a 66 Mustang 289 coupe painted Wimbledon White. In addition, these collectors are -not- the types who don't give a rip about cars. There's plenty of those types, they're called Tesla buyers.

Back in the late 70s and on into the 90s, car culture slipped due to the fact that almost every car made during the dark ages of car manufacturing were poor quality and utterly forgettable. Very few domestic cars made during this time period will wind up as collector items. During that period, people were also less inclined to be gung-ho for cars as they were all homologated to being fuel efficient, low power, low thrill rides. Even the Fox Mustangs and Camaros of the day were under 300hp until the early to mid 90s. They were all just boring, bleh pieces of form molded plastic trimmed junk with bad electronics and the collector market responded thusly. There were still collectors during this period, but they ran more towards things like Porsche and back towards the pre '72 muscle and sports car classics. It was also during this period where you first saw a big run on the '65 Toyota 2000GT (which trades for up over $1 million USD today). The average Joe who loves his 2002 Mustang GT likely has no inkling as to what a '65 2000GT is.

Now, let's look at Challengers/Chargers. Like the Mustangs and Camaros, MOST of them aren't going to be worth big money, pretty much never. The Hellcats are a different issue. Again, these have to be separated to determine their collectability. Base model Houndstooth cloth Hellcats with no options will be worth nothing. Dodge made a lot of these, especially during the '15-'17 model years and many, if not most, wound up as lease vehicles. In general, leased cars are not maintained as well and will have numerous owners during their lives. A car with 5 owners that's 10 years old is something no collector wants. So nix those.

Collectors interested in the Hellcat market are going to look for a few specific things: First - Unmodified. Bone stock. Unmolested. Any Hellcat not in this category will not be collectible. Second - Production year. 2015s and 2023s will be desirable as they're the first/last. The 2015 started it all and the 2023 will be the final evolution with the most improvements. Third - Rarity. Demons go first here. Then, the other rare Hellcats and Redeyes will stack up underneath. Redeyes will always carry a premium over a Hellcat. The rarity of the car will determine interest level. Car guys like a car with a story. Thus, the Jailbreaks will be unique in this group in that they should all be pretty much unique and exclusive unto itself. Further, like the Boss Mustangs, the Jailbreaks will be limited AND be the most powerful non-Demons made. They'll fetch a premium.

The SS will be desirable as it's a relatively low volume max strip performance sub model of the Redeye. Further on the SS, most are likely going to get tracked, if not regularly and many will get modified. Thus, unmolested Super Stocks will become exceedingly rare. Collectors will pay a premium for a low mileage, unmodified Super Stock. Billy Ray down the street will be interested in a ported and cammed SS, but Billy Ray doesn't have $100,000 in disposable cash lying around. Thus, the modified SS's will end up similar to the leased Hellcats in that collectors won't want them and the value will tank as the people who do want them and have the time to chase down mod issues have more limited funds.

For a Hellcat to be collectible, it has to be unmodified, rare, and its production year will amplify the value. There will always be buyers for these cars. 10, 50, 100 years in the future. Kids today might indeed be the buyers of the future, but not all kids are car dumb. There's an awful lot of young people at the racetracks I frequent. Like I did at their age, sometimes they're driving rip-roaring pieces of rolling crap, but they're involved.

In 20 years, if a car person of any caliber hears the word, "Hellcat," trust me, they'll know what it means. 16-22yr olds today who can't afford a Hellcat now will be the big spenders of tomorrow. I fell in love with the Torino when I was a little kid (no idea why). My 2nd car became a 70 Torino 429 Super Cobra Jet. Many of the Hellcats sold in the distant future are going to go to people like me who saw a Hellcat when they were 8 and will be in the position to snag one off the auction block. It doesn't matter so much if an M5 is faster, or a C8 can corner better. The Hellcat has a lasting mystique about it that has been prevelant since day 1. That charm will only increase after they're gone. Trust me.

#51 ·
Tim K: Sees email with subject line: "I ordered a car I didnt't rece...."
Tim K: Presses Delete

Sad, but more than likely true. Unfortunately, yours likely got caught in the backlog awaiting chips, then ran out of time for production before the 2022s started. Dodge isn't giving price breaks to anybody... and this is my 4th. Did I get any sort of special treatment? Nope, other than they gladly took my money for the 4th time.

#52 ·
Wow, have I missed out on a bunch of replies. Seems like we have all moved into value in the future and electric vehicles. Value is only relative to what someone is going to pay for it, or what your feeling is for it, ie emotion. Year may matter, but honestly when you look at the fact that the JB will be the most HP (other than the Demon) Challenger in the largest production engine, that we will probably never see again in any production vehicle, I think the odds of are in the favor of the JB, no matter the year, of having great value. Yes, going from a REWB that I currently have to a JB seems a little stupid, but like someone said, I will try to take advantage of the fact that the used car market is red hot, especially for these vehicles. Plus, this will be mine all mine because I built it exactly the way I want it. My REWB was bought off the dealer lot, with the majority of the features I wanted, and I learned a lot more about what I really wanted in this car, which no matter what will be the end of an era. To put into perspective, the JB has more HP than any car including the GT500 and that trick Ferrari. Both companies, including every other company out there that makes high performance cars is moving away from all petrol, to some sort of electric or hybrid electric. Yes you may find a 900HP vehicle in the future, but trust me, it will be electric. As my daddy always taught me: If you can’t hear it, you can’t fear it. And God damn does that HEMI in any form sound Awesome.

#54 ·
I guess I just don’t get it, sorry. I cringe a bit every time I read a post where someone is happy to get the opportunity to pay only MSRP plus doc fees. A year ago, anyone making such a post would have been laughed off the forum.

I have never been a WB fan which seems to turn out to be very fortunate.

I’m too old to be thinking about future value, I am looking just to drive and enjoy. No real racing, maybe a couple trips to the strip for fun, and Land Speed Trials once or twice/year. The WB does not offer anything over the NB for my purposes, other than weight and drag. Ya ya, they are different animals, and it seems like most guys want the other, it’s great we have these choices offered to us so we should all be happy.

The RENB suits me perfectly, and I was able to order the exact config I want, no upcharge, and at Koons discount pricing. Hope to see it this spring, I’m hoping late April. I hope ya’ll get the car you want and are just as happy! It’s good to be happy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.