SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diablo came in today and I wanted to give a rather thorough first impression since I haven’t seen much about them and this is what I would have liked to have read before I purchased mine. This will probably be way too much but hopefully it will help someone with their decision to purchase or not.

Car is a 2019 Charger Hellcat (full mods list in my signature) 20s in the front on Nitto G2, 18s in the rear on Nitto 555RII and HHP Demon springs. I’m extremely familiar with the car and what it does on the roads around here, but before I did the install I wanted to make sure I made the closest comparison I could. I took the car out for about an hour and a half, making mental notes of exactly where I went and what the car did. Went home and installed the Diablo. Only took about 18 minutes to install which is impressive considering I have two herniated discs and move quite a bit slower than your average person. Took the car on that same exact journey replicating everything I could. I always drive the car in street mode, with the Demon springs the car squats nicely and the ride is decent... definitely a lot of body roll and diving under braking though. Track mode is violent on these terrible Chandler roads and has never seemed anything more than just “stiff”.

First impressions:
Street mode is soft... seems a lot softer than before, but almost zero diving under heavy breaking and the car stays flat. Its a little confusing at first because you know the car so well you expect certain things subconsciously. I wasn’t a fan of it though, felt too soft and honestly a little sloppy... until you needed the car to do something and then you would get pretty flat and stable transitions, but it never felt like it was “ready” if that makes any sense. Normal bumps in the road and bad roads brought out a few more rattles than usual, but man did it handle turns and braking so much better.

Sport mode I didn’t spend much time in because it just left me wanting more. It was like a tease as to what track mode was going to be and I couldn’t wait. But in the name of the review I stayed in it to match the previous stock drive. Sport mode still had quite a bit of the comfort of street mode but you could tell there was a new underlying snappiness. Car felt more ready, more able which was nice. Braking and turning were even better and more flat than before. A lot of notches above street but only a few below Track.

Track mode.... a mode that I never liked before is now my new favorite. My custom mode used to be street suspension, sport traction, and track everything else. Now its track everything and sport traction, hell even my auto mode now is street everything but still track suspension. I was beyond impressed with track mode. The car felt extremely capable... I’m very used to being able to feel the cars weight, especially with the Demon springs. I always knew I was in a boat, but now its very deceiving. You’d think the car you were driving was 3500 pounds not 4500 pounds. Braking was flawless, zero dive... corners were impressive, stayed nice and flat, no heavy roll or slop. No longer violent around town, nice and composed. Car rides better now in track than it did before in street while feeling a lot more able and composed. Did a few spirited rolls and the weight transfer felt a lot better. It also stiffened up quickly and helped me track pretty straight. Thats a big deal to me because 2nd and 3rd always spin and wiggle me fairly close to the white lines... this time though I was hooking in 3rd and tracking almost perfectly straight. The car makes quite a bit of power so 1st gear has kind of always been useless on the street, but it felt a lot more manageable now. I was fighting to keep the car straight a lot less giving me the ability to focus more on getting the tires to hook. I’m really happy with what is happening behind the scenes now. Definitely an impressive transformation right out of the box. I’m sure with some fine tuning things will only get better. I apologize for such a long read, hopefully its worth something to someone.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
$1,000 is expensive........
But, what isn't for our cars........?

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,803 Posts
Diablo came in today and I wanted to give a rather thorough first impression since I haven’t seen much about them and this is what I would have liked to have read before I purchased mine. This will probably be way too much but hopefully it will help someone with their decision to purchase or not.

Car is a 2019 Charger Hellcat (full mods list in my signature) 20s in the front on Nitto G2, 18s in the rear on Nitto 555RII and HHP Demon springs. I’m extremely familiar with the car and what it does on the roads around here, but before I did the install I wanted to make sure I made the closest comparison I could. I took the car out for about an hour and a half, making mental notes of exactly where I went and what the car did. Went home and installed the Diablo. Only took about 18 minutes to install which is impressive considering I have two herniated discs and move quite a bit slower than your average person. Took the car on that same exact journey replicating everything I could. I always drive the car in street mode, with the Demon springs the car squats nicely and the ride is decent... definitely a lot of body roll and diving under braking though. Track mode is violent on these terrible Chandler roads and has never seemed anything more than just “stiff”.

First impressions:
Street mode is soft... seems a lot softer than before, but almost zero diving under heavy breaking and the car stays flat. Its a little confusing at first because you know the car so well you expect certain things subconsciously. I wasn’t a fan of it though, felt too soft and honestly a little sloppy... until you needed the car to do something and then you would get pretty flat and stable transitions, but it never felt like it was “ready” if that makes any sense. Normal bumps in the road and bad roads brought out a few more rattles than usual, but man did it handle turns and braking so much better.

Sport mode I didn’t spend much time in because it just left me wanting more. It was like a tease as to what track mode was going to be and I couldn’t wait. But in the name of the review I stayed in it to match the previous stock drive. Sport mode still had quite a bit of the comfort of street mode but you could tell there was a new underlying snappiness. Car felt more ready, more able which was nice. Braking and turning were even better and more flat than before. A lot of notches above street but only a few below Track.

Track mode.... a mode that I never liked before is now my new favorite. My custom mode used to be street suspension, sport traction, and track everything else. Now its track everything and sport traction, hell even my auto mode now is street everything but still track suspension. I was beyond impressed with track mode. The car felt extremely capable... I’m very used to being able to feel the cars weight, especially with the Demon springs. I always knew I was in a boat, but now its very deceiving. You’d think the car you were driving was 3500 pounds not 4500 pounds. Braking was flawless, zero dive... corners were impressive, stayed nice and flat, no heavy roll or slop. No longer violent around town, nice and composed. Car rides better now in track than it did before in street while feeling a lot more able and composed. Did a few spirited rolls and the weight transfer felt a lot better. It also stiffened up quickly and helped me track pretty straight. Thats a big deal to me because 2nd and 3rd always spin and wiggle me fairly close to the white lines... this time though I was hooking in 3rd and tracking almost perfectly straight. The car makes quite a bit of power so 1st gear has kind of always been useless on the street, but it felt a lot more manageable now. I was fighting to keep the car straight a lot less giving me the ability to focus more on getting the tires to hook. I’m really happy with what is happening behind the scenes now. Definitely an impressive transformation right out of the box. I’m sure with some fine tuning things will only get better. I apologize for such a long read, hopefully its worth something to someone.

View attachment 569604
Would you say the most notable difference is less to no nose dive and body roll?

When launching, does it squat into the more than stock?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you say the most notable difference is less to no nose dive and body roll?

When launching, does it squat into the more than stock?
Yeah from the driving I’ve done so far with the car that would be my most notable difference. The car feels better, feels less like a brick and more like a.... umm... lighter brick? Haha

It definitely feels like it squats more but it stiffens up pretty quick after the launch so its hard to tell without putting it on a track and getting some numbers. It hooks quite a bit sooner and feels more manageable down low. Now that its warming up a bit here I can get a better gauge of what it will do down low. I usually roll out into 2nd and give it the business around 30-40mph and fight the wheel with a little bit of pedal work, I noticed a lot less fighting of the wheel and I was able to keep my foot in it. Not feeling the need to lift and then get back in to keep me from facing the opposite direction is a welcomed change. With the power my car makes on the street its really hard to gauge it, I think on a stock cat with some radials it would be nasty on the street with the module.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
Got it out up here in the frozen north finally and can begin to put down some of my opinion. Objective real data is coming once we can get to the tracks.

This is my first subjective impression of the device just during street driving. I drove around today, it was 55-60 degrees, not much wind. A great first day of the season, 100% sunshine, and just cool enough to help the supercharger sound great. The car was a pleasure to drive.

This is a stock power Widebody Redeye. The suspension is modified, cradle bushings, all control arms and their bushings. I have OE springs on the rear and KW adjustable on the front set to OE height. Today it had 12” wide rear wheels and 345/30 PS4S BACK FOR THEIR THIRD SEASON AFTER NEARLY 9000 MILES and 11” wide front wheels and new heat cycled 325/30 Cup 2’s. I always said these mods actually make it ride better. Okay, so far so good, now add a different shock controller.

All roads I was on today, I am very familiar with. The controller does a noticeable job. The first thing to notice is two fold. When braking, that front end is more firm. When driving along, the ride is more smooth, without the quicker rebound formerly built into the shocks. The different suspension modes only make slight perceptual changes now while driving down the road. They have different characteristics when you challenge it.

When driving on a very rough road it does make the ride less harsh. We went out on a fairly rough road and tried things at high speeds. While the road was rough and usually would cause some stability concerns, today there were less violent movements transmitted to the body of the car, less dynamics were being transmitted to my steering/hands. It all contributed to having more confidence and maintaining more control of the vehicle. It was more “easy” to drive.

It does good stuff for acceleration. Attempts from a stop today were tough given the bit of dust remaining and the cool surfaces, so the best time to 60 was recorded at 3.7 seconds. That run included a slight spin, so then off the throttle and then slow application of power, but I was able to get things going in second. I may have blacked out for a moment, but someone who was also a 250 lb weight in the car with my 200 lbs may have said something about 11.4/130 or something. I don’t know what he was talking about.

In several pulls at speeds, it does bite down well, I can feel the controller is working that front/rear bias different. It did one thing later in the afternoon that made me believe it was really biting down. Coming away from a stop, I did get WOT in 1st. She made the hiccup! You get that 1-2 hiccup and the drag people tell me it has to be getting good traction. In every pull and some were on purpose high speed to confirm it is ready for my road course fun, it ALWAYS got traction at any speed over 10-15 mph, and it always pulled straight ahead, it never felt unstable. With that, I am confident it can launch out of corners as expected.

In the corners it also felt different. It turns in more easy, it sustains rounding the corner more easy and I can tell it will promote rotation and allow me the confidence to get on the throttle quicker. The controller feels like it is countering some body lean. The vehicle can be driven very, very smooth through corners. Good before, like a dream now. I had a passenger nearly screaming because they looked at the speedo in a corner. I assured him we were well below the vehicle’s capability.

That is enough, it is an absolute pleasure to drive, it is very stable at speeds on even nasty surfaces, it is safer, it is more fun, it does corner better in many ways.

I can tell just after burning a half tank of gas today it will benefit me on the track. We have several track sessions scheduled in May to get good data from including two days at Road America and now BIR in June to get a lap time comparison on my home track. I will also be able to try it with a square OE wheels and 305/35 setup (early Toyo R888R then switch to PZero PZ4) at RA compared to a 12” wide square wheel set-up with tires the same staggered size as today all Cup 2’s.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
Just found the schedule for the BIR Long course. I am going to have some very factual comparative lap times instantly and analysis of segments will come. May 3. Stay tuned. May even go so far as to compare some different wheel/tire combos if all goes well. Pray for sunshine for the track and cool temps for the supercharger. This unit may just get me over a certain “hump” on my “home” course. Also it will show how it effects and reacts to roll-on race inputs.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Well I thought I would add in my thoughts of the suspension controller when I got it I saw a plastic module and first thought gimmick....there was no info on settings and was lost tried to call Diablo but after 30min on hold I gave up found this thread and offered a bunch of answers. I have a 16 HC M6 all stock with MT drag radials on BM wheels I live in NorCal and today it was a good day to drive it around and test it, I turned off traction control completely and drove in street mode immediately it felt kinda plush softer to factory settings the roads are horrible in some areas so that was the test bed. Unexpectedly I got cut off and swerved hard and I was impressed at no body roll but full control so it seems cruising straight you have a nice comfortable ride but if you need to bail out the suspension adjusts for that. So I got to the test area and did a first gear pull from 20mph and it felt similar to a 90/10-50/50 shock set up from the good ole days but after a shift to 2nd it felt like it settled and I was in good control very impressed!!! Next was sport this was different more handling manners stiffer ride but shock seemed to adjust and assist to turns and car felt less diving good all around touring. Same roll from 20 and side to side was firmer but I felt the LSD switching around from left to right controlled but not as hooked up as street mode. Track felt just as it states I felt more of the pot holes but there must be a rebound change as it’s not as harsh as stock setting in track mode, again roll from 20 and side to side felt like it was on rails but I did feel the LSD doing it’s best. So after this long post (and my first) for drag street to me worked the best I feel the cost was well worth it as I down loaded the software from DCS and I think as more people get into this it will be a valuable tuning tool to use share files buy files ect...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
I find it extremely odd your 1st post as a member is about a $1,000 suspension module.
Most guys are more involved before a purchase like this.....
You wouldn't happen to work for diablosport would you????

Reactions: NeverEnough

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Well first of all you don’t know me or know my income or age or the direction Iam going I have followed and researched this great forum since I purchased my HC and have been hesitant of some idiot criticizing me on my choices of posting an opinion on a product, I have been purchasing parts to do a nice build on my car so this was part of it, I was curious with the amount of power these vehicles make how fast can you go doing suspension mods holding off on turning up the boost and maximizing the factory power potential. I was formally a Top Fuel mechanic for 20 years and after seeing these vehicles perform I had to have one I don’t work for Diablo just an old gear head having fun....it’s keyboard cowboys like you that ruin it for die hard enthusiasts.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
I don't think it makes me an idiot wondering why a 1 poster is either endorsing an expensive product, or selling an expensive product.
Seemed quite odd.
See it a lot with scammers and companies pushing products that are sometimes not a fair review for us......
Honestly, you went all cowboy, not me.
I asked, didn't accuse you of anything.
Good review if its true.
Being sensitive and name calling, nice work.
I feel a die hard enthusiast would have posted before, but hey, cool trophies.

Reactions: NeverEnough

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,109 Posts
Again, didn't accuse, just asked. You have a nice night.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
Well I thought I would add in my thoughts of the suspension controller when I got it I saw a plastic module and first thought gimmick....there was no info on settings and was lost tried to call Diablo but after 30min on hold I gave up found this thread and offered a bunch of answers. I have a 16 HC M6 all stock with MT drag radials on BM wheels I live in NorCal and today it was a good day to drive it around and test it, I turned off traction control completely and drove in street mode immediately it felt kinda plush softer to factory settings the roads are horrible in some areas so that was the test bed. Unexpectedly I got cut off and swerved hard and I was impressed at no body roll but full control so it seems cruising straight you have a nice comfortable ride but if you need to bail out the suspension adjusts for that. So I got to the test area and did a first gear pull from 20mph and it felt similar to a 90/10-50/50 shock set up from the good ole days but after a shift to 2nd it felt like it settled and I was in good control very impressed!!! Next was sport this was different more handling manners stiffer ride but shock seemed to adjust and assist to turns and car felt less diving good all around touring. Same roll from 20 and side to side was firmer but I felt the LSD switching around from left to right controlled but not as hooked up as street mode. Track felt just as it states I felt more of the pot holes but there must be a rebound change as it’s not as harsh as stock setting in track mode, again roll from 20 and side to side felt like it was on rails but I did feel the LSD doing it’s best. So after this long post (and my first) for drag street to me worked the best I feel the cost was well worth it as I down loaded the software from DCS and I think as more people get into this it will be a valuable tuning tool to use share files buy files ect...
You guys think what you want. This is an excellent post and after driving mine more on the street, this guy is right on. It’s hot. I can’t wait to track it and get a lap time that simply will not be an opinion. Thanks @Nitrocrew.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,803 Posts
You guys think what you want. This is an excellent post and after driving mine more on the street, this guy is right on. It’s hot. I can’t wait to track it and get a lap time that simply will not be an opinion. Thanks @Nitrocrew.
@DGatzby Definitely agree, this is going to really be impressive on the track.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
@DGatzby Definitely agree, this is going to really be impressive on the track.
We will also make sure to take some pictures in a corner where we have other pictures to see if the body lean is in fact diminished a bit. It sure seems more flat, no matter what I try and that has been in the street mode. It sure rides nice. Finally had it out in temps above 65 degrees so the tires were also warm and soft. I really like it, and so does the important person in my right seat. She can feel the difference also.

·
DRIVESRT.COM
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,803 Posts
We will also make sure to take some pictures in a corner where we have other pictures to see if the body lean is in fact diminished a bit. It sure seems more flat, no matter what I try and that has been in the street mode. It sure rides nice. Finally had it out in temps above 65 degrees so the tires were also warm and soft. I really like it, and so does the important person in my right seat. She can feel the difference also.
If we could get a similar capture to how they did with the Camaro, that would really clear things up.

For the 2017 Camaro ZL1, it was about a 240ft difference between finishes in 1 lap around Summit Point Motorsports Park. Or in other words, ~15 car length difference (240.22 ft / 15.85 ft car length = 15.15 car lengths).

Really looking forward to seeing your results!

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
If we could get a similar capture to how they did with the Camaro, that would really clear things up.

For the 2017 Camaro ZL1, it was about a 240ft difference between finishes in 1 lap around Summit Point Motorsports Park. Or in other words, ~15 car length difference (240.22 ft / 15.85 ft car length = 15.15 car lengths).

View attachment 571265

I have wizards who can do that for me. This could be fun.
You know how race days go, hope it goes well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts