SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that with the cars I'm looking at the older cars 2015 and 2016 all seem to only have one red and one black key. I was under the impression they all came with 3 but starting to wonder if maybe the early cars came with 2 and at some point 3 became the standard. I've tried doing a search and the one thread I could locate was talking about red eyes and newer cars.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
What he ^^^^ said. Yes all every year got three.

Reactions: moparjim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it. Crazy as I'm yet to come across a 15 or 16 with two red keys. Just couldn't imagine that many people losing one. So odd.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Octane Red
1,459 Posts
Appreciate it. Crazy as I'm yet to come across a 15 or 16 with two red keys. Just couldn't imagine that many people losing one. So odd.
I'm with ya, they are pricey to replace.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
5,824 Posts
2 Red and 1 Black for my 2016. Buying used, you may not get all three keys. Many people trade their cars in and forget to give all the keys back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,739 Posts
I’m thinking a lot of people are keeping a red fob as a memento.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On a used Cat, I'd be looking to get keys reprogrammed no matter how many they give you..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,066 Posts
On a used Cat, I'd be looking to get keys reprogrammed no matter how many they give you..
Great point. Bring all three down to dealer or a good locksmith and let the reprogram because who's to say that even if you did get all three keys that somebody didn't already make another?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
543 Posts
You need three keys in the event you loose the red key. Could not imagine having to drive around with the black key until the red key ordered showed up
I believe this is incorrect.
My wife lost her fob on her Chrysler ( 2015 ) and I was able to purchase a replacement fob and the dealer programmed it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,066 Posts
I believe this is incorrect.
My wife lost her fob on her Chrysler ( 2015 ) and I was able to purchase a replacement fob and the dealer programmed it.
True. Even though Dodge and even the owners manual says you can't, they can be reprogrammed without the other keys.

The question though is if you should do it. The key that is missing is likely still out there somewhere and is still a working key for your car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger Hellcat
68 Posts
When I bought my 2015 last fall I got the 2 red and one black key fob. All the other used ones I looked at only had one red and one black.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate it everyone for confirmation. Couple dealers looked at me crazy when I asked about it and I don't think I've seen an older one with 3 so was starting to question myself.

I'll be sure to include that in my requirements for buying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI, i took a chance on an eBay red SRT key (used fob, uncut key) took it to my dealer and they were able to make it work for $85 now i have 2 red and 1 black as delivered.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
7,066 Posts
Appreciate it everyone for confirmation. Couple dealers looked at me crazy when I asked about it and I don't think I've seen an older one with 3 so was starting to question myself.

I'll be sure to include that in my requirements for buying.
It's in the first few pages of the owners manual how many keys you get of each and what color so tell the dealer to look it up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here's a good one. I bought mine new last year from out of town at Koon's and had it shipped to me. It had 2 red keys and a black. I thought they failed to ship me 2 complete sets. I had always received 2 sets of keys for new cars I purchased in the past. So, the dealer just said get another made at a local dealer and they will pay for it, which they did. Just wondering why they didn't catch this. I didn't know till I saw this thread that the Hellcats only come with 3 keys. Always learning something new.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts