SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some other member described this awhile ago, but I wanted to confirm and provide pictures for those that may be curious. You can install both a differential brace and the zl1 diffuser on a Challenger, and a Demon in this case. The diff brace here is the steel "extreme" version that Per4mance Development no longer sells. (I took off their original steel one. Feel free to pm me if you're interested in it.) Individually, I think the brace and the diffuser are installs that you need some patience with, so combining them into one install was quite frustrating at times. I have smaller hands which really helped, but my hand still got cut up by the diffuser's sharp aluminum as I had to reach into the crossmember above the diff to finish the install. I got some bolts and large aluminum spacers from McMaster-Carr in order to bolt the diffuser through the brace and into the crossmember. The steps I followed:

1) Install brace loosely with main diff case bolts and crossmember bolts. Tighten case bolts so that the brace is flush with the diff, but not to spec yet. Make sure the crossmember bolts have a clear and true path up into the pem inserts or nuts or threaded holes in the crossmember.
2) Remove the crossmember bolts, and tighten diff case bolts to spec.
3) Grab a friend, and install the rear portion of the diffuser onto the bumper. Fully tighten those 4 screws/nuts. I recommend fully tightening now because anybody with average-sized arms will have a very difficult or impossible time reaching in to tighten the "inner" 2 screws when the front of the diffuser is installed.
4) Using a lockwasher, washer, and spacers, put the crossmember bolts up through the front of the diffuser, the brace, the crossmember, and finally into the nuts or inserts provided with your brace purchase. Tighten as described in brace instructions.

I have a Stainless Works exhaust installed, so there may be a little more room for the install with a stock exhaust. This process probably would have been 10x easier with the car on a lift; my neck/abs are still pretty sore from this weekend's install.

IMG-4676.JPG
IMG-4675.JPG
IMG-4680.JPG

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
843 Posts
Bravo. Nice write up. Looks Good!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
580 Posts
I did this also, but I have the DIRS brace.
20200208_184207.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GreenMachine, did you tuck the front of the diffuser above the DIRS? I was wondering what the compatibility of the DIRS and the diffuser would look like.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
580 Posts
Bent it upward, attached to what I call the spare tire well. I added two supports in the middle to prevent movement. I will have to post pics up.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
580 Posts
I used stainless hardware.
I added the standoffs in the middle to prevent shaking. These diffusers have alot of movement, I bet at high speeds they shake. Now, mine will not.
I still may trim the extra bolt thread off on the front, but I didnt want to mess up the threads if I ever need or decide to remove the diffuser.
20200407_101628.jpg
20200407_101639.jpg
20200407_101628.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
580 Posts
Standoffs

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the ingenuity. It looks like you had to drill several holes through the tire well. I'm hesitant to do that, but your solution looks good.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
580 Posts
4 holes, the thing is not attached very sturdy from zl1....
Like I said, I bet at speed the un-modified design moves quite a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts