SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Difference between older hellcats and the newer ones ..

26K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  bishops00 
#1 ·
I’ve been looking at used hellcats,red eyes etc...I know what a redeye is, and that it’s a cut above a base hellcat if there’s such a thing...
I just want to know what’s the difference between the first yr hellcats, 2015-2016 and say 2017-2021 is there any huge difference in the hellcat, ?
engine updates , electronic improvements, ? Performance enhancements the earlier ones didn’t have...
as I want to have either a line lock,or a trans brake ,as I’m a DVET crippled and have to have hand controls , it drives me nuts that even in my twin turbo truck I can’t bring the boast up off the line,or do burn outs.. although it’s still fast but you get the point..I know a hellcat will still haul butt off idle but I’d still like to be able to launch it around 2500 or so once in a while ! or do a burn out..
any info I’d appreciate...thanks also any options worth getting or passing on,?

#2 · (Edited)
Electric steering came out on challenger Hellcats in 2018, also the wide body was offered with "performance suspension" 2019 Challenger Hellcats came with 717 HP. The Demon has 808+HP and a trans brake. The 2021 Challenger Super Stock has 807 HP and all the drag race goodies like the Demon minus the trans brake. I believe all Hellcats since 2015 are capable of completely disabling traction control by holding down the TC button for 7 seconds. In 2019 the Redeye came with the intercooler chiller and a line lock for burnouts. I think line lock is standard on all 2019+ models. That's what I remember off the top of my head. Good luck! You won't regret having a Hellcat I promise you that! Thank you for your sevice.

#3 ·
Modifying the older Hellcats already have much Tuning information which makes it easier because there are known builds and parts for go Fassst fun.
The newer ones come with more HP which is good and there are parts and Tuninh available.
It's more about how you want to modify for the ET or HP you want.

Having an experienced Tuner for Hemis is always a #1 thought !

Take Care
Linda:)

#4 ·
You can add line lock to a 2015 with a taser.
The power steering vs electric steering has no relevance that I have seen. Sc bearing issues in the early models. Thats about it. If you don't plan on modding, and budget is not an issue, just buy a redeye wb and enjoy.

Reactions: DevilsReject97
#6 ·
Price a 2015 and a 2020, irrelevant for what his uses are of the car anyways, just like I said.

Reactions: Skrelnik
#7 ·
You're right. I digress, when OP asked about differences and improvements of later models, that I even bothered to include electric steering when offered in 2018 was rediculos. Why would a disabled vet who drives with hand controls even be remotely interested in being able to chose how light or heavy the steering feels on his Hellcat? I'm such an ASS for including subject matter that "isn't relevant" for OP's uses...shame on me.

#8 ·
2015/16 uses a MAF sensor, 2017+ uses Speed Density.
EPS as mentioned above for 2018+.
2017+ (or possibly 2018+) has apple car play etc, and uses different Uconnect hardware, most say not as reliable with more glitches. Not a lot of 2017s made
More wheel offerings with 2017+
I think 2019+ went to 717hp for HC
Thats all I can remember at the moment

Reactions: DevilsReject97
#19 ·
2019 brought in the de-spec'd option. More base model in it's design (less power bloat) and lighter out of the gate than previous years with "standard options" With a little additional weight reduction you can get a zero option Super Stock down to sub-4100 lbs race weight.

The SAE figures on the 2019+ HCs is significantly higher.

However the earlier cars have more aggressive tunes and are less sensitive to high intake air temps.

I believe the 2018+ engines have revised (better flowing) blower ports and a different (milder) camshaft too in order to accommodate the addition of the Trackhawk.

2019+ has a better air intake.

#20 ·
I’ve been looking at used hellcats,red eyes etc...I know what a redeye is, and that it’s a cut above a base hellcat if there’s such a thing...
I just want to know what’s the difference between the first yr hellcats, 2015-2016 and say 2017-2021 is there any huge difference in the hellcat, ?
engine updates , electronic improvements, ? Performance enhancements the earlier ones didn’t have...
as I want to have either a line lock,or a trans brake ,as I’m a DVET crippled and have to have hand controls , it drives me nuts that even in my twin turbo truck I can’t bring the boast up off the line,or do burn outs.. although it’s still fast but you get the point..I know a hellcat will still haul butt off idle but I’d still like to be able to launch it around 2500 or so once in a while ! or do a burn out..
any info I’d appreciate...thanks also any options worth getting or passing on,?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!! 🇺🇸

#21 ·
I just went from a 2019 Scat Pack, to a 2015 Hellcat; Charger. The electronics were a lot faster in the 2019. 2015 came with 3 keys (two reds) and NAV standard. My 2019 sat high like a 4-wheeler, and the 2015 sits nice and low. My 2019 springs settled after a year though and 12K. Do I miss the Scat Pack? No, since I now have so much more car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.