SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out yesterday and when I came home I had exactly 500 miles on the odometer. I figured it was a good time to do my first oil change.

Nothing unusual noted. My car didn't burn any oil in the 500 miles, the oil that came out had no metal or other crap that was visible to the eye. I also grabbed a sample mid stream during the drain. I will send that off for oil analysis.

I documented the process on the WIKI for those interested...

http://www.hellcat.org/wiki/?title=How-To:DIY-Engine-oil-and-filter-change

Reactions: Carnage

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts
Very nice thank you! 20 fasteners correct?:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,854 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
73 Posts
I was out yesterday and when I came home I had exactly 500 miles on the odometer. I figured it was a good time to do my first oil change.

Nothing unusual noted. My car didn't burn any oil in the 500 miles, the oil that came out had no metal or other crap that was visible to the eye. I also grabbed a sample mid stream during the drain. I will send that off for oil analysis.

Whould bosch 3410 work or fram ph2

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
609 Posts
I hit my 500 mile mark yesterday! Woo Hoo! Was finally able to see what my Helena can do! IMPRESSIVE I must say!
I debated long and hard if I was going to do the 500 mile oil change like some others suggest.
I do think it was totally unnecessary on the Hellcat but if you have even seen metal pieces when draining break-in oil like I have in the past, I decided it would not hurt anything and I would not have to wonder "what if" so why not? I did pull a sample to send to Blackstone labs so I will know things are normal for my new engine.

The Hellcat is very low to the ground so let me say to anyone horizontally challenged, think long and hard before deciding to DIY, If you can't get this car up in the air enough to have free passage I say, let the dealer do it! Having to remove all those clips and screws and needing my car about 12" higher made this afternoon oil change more of a "job" and less enjoyable than my oil changes of the past.

I found the link at the top of this forum showing location of the clips, socket sizes needed and torx specs lots of help and I suggest reviewing this before you take on this project.

I wanted to at least do the first oil change myself so if nothing else I can see what she looks like from the underside and kinda inspect. I did notice that one of my oil cooler line clips was missing. I had extra clips so I replaced it but doubt it will hold long term as something was pushing down on that one side with more force than a simple clip will hold IMO. I will address this with the dealer when HE does the next oil change as I plan for this to be my 1st and last DIY oil change on my cat.

The few Hellcat oil analysis on this forum suggest high levels of metal is present in our oil into the first few oil changes . I know this is normal for a new engine but Im not the normal car owner and and like the idea of NO metal in my oil so I plan to do my next dealer oil change at 1,500 then get on a regular schedule of every 6 months as per the book as my miles will always be low on this car so 2x a year will be the plan.

Anyone else notice a loose oil cooler line when you changed your oil?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
10,951 Posts
For get that,, dealer is doing mine,, and I will be standing there watching the entire time,,, if they refuse,I will take my service somewhere else ,I have 3 cars, so they will lose business...that being said, you need to become friends with your dealer adviser, and service tech, they like you, they will take care of you..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,163 Posts
i noticed what looked like metal debris at 2900 miles that came out of the oil cooler.....didnt notice it from the engine, just the cooler....did a 500 mile oil change at dealer, so 2900 was my 2nd change and i did it myself....no flakes, just some small glitter

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
38 Posts
I hit my 500 mile mark yesterday! Woo Hoo! Was finally able to see what my Helena can do! IMPRESSIVE I must say!
I debated long and hard if I was going to do the 500 mile oil change like some others suggest.
I do think it was totally unnecessary on the Hellcat but if you have even seen metal pieces when draining break-in oil like I have in the past, I decided it would not hurt anything and I would not have to wonder "what if" so why not? I did pull a sample to send to Blackstone labs so I will know things are normal for my new engine.

The Hellcat is very low to the ground so let me say to anyone horizontally challenged, think long and hard before deciding to DIY, If you can't get this car up in the air enough to have free passage I say, let the dealer do it! Having to remove all those clips and screws and needing my car about 12" higher made this afternoon oil change more of a "job" and less enjoyable than my oil changes of the past.

I found the link at the top of this forum showing location of the clips, socket sizes needed and torx specs lots of help and I suggest reviewing this before you take on this project.

I wanted to at least do the first oil change myself so if nothing else I can see what she looks like from the underside and kinda inspect. I did notice that one of my oil cooler line clips was missing. I had extra clips so I replaced it but doubt it will hold long term as something was pushing down on that one side with more force than a simple clip will hold IMO. I will address this with the dealer when HE does the next oil change as I plan for this to be my 1st and last DIY oil change on my cat.

The few Hellcat oil analysis on this forum suggest high levels of metal is present in our oil into the first few oil changes . I know this is normal for a new engine but Im not the normal car owner and and like the idea of NO metal in my oil so I plan to do my next dealer oil change at 1,500 then get on a regular schedule of every 6 months as per the book as my miles will always be low on this car so 2x a year will be the plan.

Anyone else notice a loose oil cooler line when you changed your oil?

Or if you've got one of these in your garage, you can do it this way. That orange thing hiding behind the left lift post helps.

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Auto part

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1 Posts

Super helpful wiki, thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
1,017 Posts
I bought my car with 600mi on the odo the dealer could of put in freah oil cause oil life was at 100%. I have not done an oil chnage yet and its 5200 on the odo. Oil life says 40% but ya i need to chnage it Soon. The dipstick looks good when i oull it every other day.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.