SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, after being unsuccessful on my attempt to create a wiki page on the site, I decided to stick to what I know, creating a post. :)

Here are the steps you will need to take if you want to run a smaller rear wheel on your Challenger Hellcat.
Level of difficulty: 2 out 10. (Easy)
Time: Approximately 30 minutes.

First, loosen the lug nuts on both rear wheels, jack up the car to the height where both tires are off the ground and secure your car with jack stands. Then remove the lug nuts and tires. Then you are going to need two wrenches to remove the nuts and bolts holding the stock sway bar links in place. See the photo below. *Pay attention the which side the nut goes on.*
InkedDSC_0040_LI.jpg

After you get the stock sway bar hardware out, then get your shorter sway bar.
DSC_0037.JPG

Install the top bolt and nut, remember the top nut will be the inside of the sway bar link. Do not tighten the top bolt up all the way, you will need to have some play (ability to move around) in the link.

Now, I chose to do one tire at a time. Therefore, I had to use a jack to raise the hub assembly to the appropriate height to accept the bolt. See the photos below. (If both the rear links were removed before the installation of the shorter link, the jack may not have been needed.)
DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

Once you get the bottom nut threaded in, tighten down all the way. Then return to the top bolt do the same.
After that, I did a test fit with my 17in. wheel.
DSC_0042.JPG

The wheel fits great, however. I did notice a black wire would rub on this application. All you need to do is zip tie the wire down and the wheel will be clear of abstructions. I also wrapped some electrical tape around the wire for more insulation. I wouldn't want it to rub on the metal and remove the wire insulation. I will pick up a rubber hose to splice it to make a better insulator.
InkedDSC_0043_LI.jpg

InkedDSC_0044_LI.jpg

All in all, this was easy and I hope this helps others out. I know this might not be the most desired DIY post, however. As I work, I will photograph and document in efforts to help out the Hellcat Community.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,212 Posts
Thx for the post - all DIY stuff, no matter what, helps IMO

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,675 Posts
I have 18x10 wheels and didn't install smaller sway bar links.
You need to go with shorter links with the 17in wheel. Or you can jack up by the suspension to get the wheel on. Just not sure if that works with all wheels.

·
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,243 Posts
GBlair16HC
Great pictures !
Good info especially the mention of the black wire, which has been posted about before as a problem found.

With my 18 inch Welds the shorter sway bars were needed.
HHP Shortened Rear Sway Bar End Links For Weld Wheels With Factory Sway Bar

If you are installing Weld or other select manufacturer's 17" wheels (and in some cases 18" wheels) on the rear of your HEMI car and have factory sway bars still installed, you will need these shortened factory sway bar end links to prevent the swaybar from hitting the rim once the suspension is loaded. The factory rear sway bar has a wide hoop built into it and the swaybar will touch the rim unless you shorten the swaybar endlinks. These endlinks are new factory endlinks that have been shortened in order to prevent the contact. Most aftermarket swaybars do not have this contact issue.

·
Banned
Challenger SRT Hellcat
992 Posts
You can run a 17X9 wheels without changing the links.... FYI ;)

I also learned that lesson about the shock wires. I lucked out though and only the plastic sheath rubbed through but did cause havoc with error codes on suspension settings. There should be a sticky for that.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to give a "Thank You" to everyone for all the positive feed back; it is really a great feeling. To share some kind words to a "stranger's (GBlair16HC)" for his effort to provide information is amazing. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
131 Posts
I would like to give a "Thank You" to everyone for all the positive feed back; it is really a great feeling. To share some kind words to a "stranger's (GBlair16HC)" for his effort to provide information is amazing. Again, thank you.
does this change the handling characteristics in the rear?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts