SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Do you trailer your car in neutral or park.

10947 47
I've been talking to guys about how they set up their trailers.Some say they leave it in park and some leave it in neutral. I was always of the thought that if you left it in park it could damage the parking pin from all the back and forth motion. Even with your straps tight they eventually loosen up by stretching or fatigue. On long trips I always check them on every fuel fill up. Just wondering how do you do it?
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,404 Posts
I've been talking to guys about how they set up their trailers.Some say they leave it in park and some leave it in neutral. I was always of the thought that if you left it in park it could damage the parking pin from all the back and forth motion. Even with your straps tight they eventually loosen up by stretching or fatigue. On long trips I always check them on every fuel fill up. Just wondering how do you do it?
I could be wrong but can you actually leave it in neutral with the key off? I leave mine in park when trailered

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,336 Posts
I don't trailer this car, but with other cars I use Park. You'd be surprised how strong those park pawls are. Setting the emergency brake after you've got the car in position makes a world of difference too (assuming you're using a trailer with all four wheels up...I don't trailer cars I care about with those two wheeled dolly things).

·
SSDD
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,478 Posts
The cars can be shifted into nuetral while off or in case of a dead battery.

Set parking brake. Pull out the tray next to the shifter. Insert something into slot on mechanism and push right. Pull up on the strap. Shift to neutral

Look in the manual under “What to do in case or emergencies - Towing a diasabled vehicle”

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
146 Posts
Always trailer the car in park! I accidentally left my gt500 in neutral and the parking brake wasn’t pulled hard enough. The car rocked back and forth loosening the straps, the car rolled off the back of the trailer while I was driving. Was one of the lowest points of my life, don’t let it happen to you! Tore the front bumper off the car damaging all the oil coolers, was $6k in damage.

The damage to my ego was much more severe.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,895 Posts
The cars can be shifted into nuetral while off or in case of a dead battery.

Set parking brake. Pull out the tray next to the shifter. Insert something into slot on mechanism and push right. Pull up on the strap. Shift to neutral

Look in the manual under “What to do in case or emergencies - Towing a diasabled vehicle”
Ok to clarify, except for the case of this emergency procedure used for hauling the car up on a wrecker, the car cannot be put into neutral with the engine off. Not sure how a dead battery will affect things but in normal conditions, the engine has to be running to get the car into neutral and once you stop the engine the trans automatically goes to park regardless of shifter position.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found this out the hard way when I was winching my car into the trailer. I got it set up on the ramps turned it off in neutral hooked the winch on the Petty tow hooks and tried to winch it in. Well it would't move so I went to the manual and found out about the red strap you have to pull up to get it in neutral. Now it goes in fine. I find it a lot easier to winch it in because the car is so wide I only have one inch on either side of the wheel wells and can control it better standing in front of it instead of being in the car. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
8,895 Posts
I found this out the hard way when I was winching my car into the trailer. I got it set up on the ramps turned it off in neutral hooked the winch on the Petty tow hooks and tried to winch it in. Well it would't move so I went to the manual and found out about the red strap you have to pull up to get it in neutral. Now it goes in fine. I find it a lot easier to winch it in because the car is so wide I only have one inch on either side of the wheel wells and can control it better standing in front of it instead of being in the car. Thanks for the responses.
Can't you just idle the engine while you winch it on? This red strap neutral not really designed to be used all the time plus there is more risk using it since once you pull the strap the car will roll. Then you have to remember to lock it back down. Just seems like more chances for an accident. The A8 has a safety to default to park and this defeats that, just one less thing to worry about. I can just see someone yanking the strap on uneven ground and the car taking off, it's probably already happened. Be careful.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,618 Posts
Can't you just idle the engine while you winch it on? This red strap neutral not really designed to be used all the time plus there is more risk using it since once you pull the strap the car will roll. Then you have to remember to lock it back down. Just seems like more chances for an accident. The A8 has a safety to default to park and this defeats that, just one less thing to worry about. I can just see someone yanking the strap on uneven ground and the car taking off, it's probably already happened. Be careful.
I'm buying an enclosed trailer and will be winching my car in too. I plan on using this lever each time I pull it in. Seems logical to wait until it's hooked up to the winch to pull the lever. I don't see that this is any more dangerous than having a manual in neutral and winching it up.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before I pull the red strap it's already hooked with the winch so it's not rolling away. Once in the trailer it's tied down with four straps crisscrossed so it's not going anywhere. When it's time to take it out I make sure the winch is taut and then take off the straps and winch her out again and then put the lever in it's normal position. I don't drive it in because it's too hard for me to get out of the car once it's in even with a side door. I've got both knees replaced and really bad arthritis in too many bones so you have to find other ways to get some things done. I understand your concern about the car rolling away so I take my time and caution whenever I do it. Thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Demon
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don’t cross your straps!
Just out of curiosity why not and I only say that because I've been doing it for many years without any problems. I was told to do it by some real old time drag racers, They saw me loading up at the track one day long ago and recommended it. Being that I'm old now maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,471 Posts
I always cross the straps. It prevents the car from walking side to side on rough roads. As long as you rig strap to something were it can’t slide you won’t have a problem.
That is correct. It is in fact why they are crossed at the rear. To prevent side to side movement when the attachment points are to the suspended part of the car and not the tires.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts